Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/23 at 23:59

A very strange game. I'm normally euphoric when we win away but it was such a mixed bag of stuff it has dampened the celebrations somewhat.

First the negatives and then i will finish on the numerous positives

• Red card for Kamara (will miss the United game)
  • Martinez getting involved in unnecessary shithousery with Maupay. Should know when to draw a line.
  • Diaby's form at the moment. Looks a shadow of his early season self. Are we too slow in getting the ball to him?

Positives.

• An away win
  • Emery blows away another unwanted negative away record against Brentford.
  • Moreno & Ramsey got minutes and will hopefully brush off the rustiness displayed
  • Record number of Villa wins in a calendar year
  • Dougie back next game
  • We could be top after Friday night and maybe even for Christmas.

Dare to believe!😀

UTV

Edited by Lochheads twin
added Wins record
  • Like 4

It was a tough match for me to watch, woke up and were down a goal.... I'll admit I couldn't believe when I woke up again that we had won 2-1. I cannot wait to watch the match back.

It was an important match to win, for many reasons, but I'm enjoying being 9 points ahead of Newcastle in 6th for starters.

Just called talkSPORT and asked to be put through to enquire why Aston are not serious title contenders. The guy manning the phone said I don’t know mate so I said can I be put through to the presenters to discuss it. He says yes we’ll try and get you through and he cut me off

The non footballer Maupay is a disgrace to the professional players union, his whole time spent on the field is to get another pro sent off. Our players have to do some growing up and  just walk away from his type of provocation because its all they had and was their only way back in the game. Emi do your lines monday and konsa, kamarra have to learn to keep their hands to themselves which Unai will sort out monday. Pity a good win has us being handicapped for future games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

I’m confident he will make sure they learn from this. Even the most experienced teams and players have their moments. 
Brentford away is one of those games we have never coped well with, and I think in previous years we might have crumbled under the physical pressure and gamesmanship they were trying. But we are made of sterner stuff now, and I think we gave as good as we got.

In previous seasons we'd have been 2 or 3 down and Brentford wouldn't have thrown their toys in the pram in the first place because they'd have been comfortably ahead. What we saw today was a definite improvement and another curse Emery has broken.

• Like 1

Re: celebrations and the afters. 

It’s all fine, Bouba was dumb for getting a red but it’s a team finally showing some fight. For decades, we complained about being the nice team and now we have some characters getting stuck in. 

Brentford were much the dirtier side, but we need that aggressive streak for a fight because it’ll be a fight to stay in the top 4 and for the title challenge. 

Always thought Thomas Frank was a bit of a word removed but more so now after his comments.

Why does he not think how this all started with his very own idiot player getting sent off because of yet another potentially career ending challenge.

So subjective these football managers for the most part and yet for balance you hear Emery's comments and alluding to the behaviour of his own players and how to deal with adversity.

Result: Emery is class and the other a word removed.

Brentford played with no intent to play football, they ruined it a spectacle, trying to contain with their negativity and persistent fouling. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Why oh why does Emi get involved in these things? The shoulder charge from Maupay as he passed was rightly booked, and the theatrics when Maupay felt Emi brush past him were being ignored by the ref... why get involved, and Kamara was an utter idiot for sinking to their level. Just walk away laughing at that point, we were winning, we had 11 vs 10 on the pitch and they were the ones wasting their own time. Now Kamara is out for three games. Idiots.

This is exactly what my logical brain was thinking. 

Annoyingly, it seems that the mentality that gets us these victories comes with a mentality that we won't let things like that drop.

Maybe the way reacted is just a natural thing if you want to be champions. Can't roll over when the opposition are being shits.

Shame we can't both be above and have the fighting mentality, but I'm not sure that's possible