Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/23 at 23:59

Don’t think he’s been mentioned in here yet,  but shout out to Nathan Collins who’s currently drowning in his own tears. Dive was pathetic, of course not booked. 

Great turnaround away from home. UTV!!!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TomC said:

Perhaps I overstated my case...I agree, you don't want to pump it aimlessly, but it seemed to me like we were taking no chances whatsoever until the red card. Your example came after they were down to 10 men. Would we have scored without the red card? I don't know that we would have.

Sorry I was probably also reacting to the general theme of the match thread which was (in general) ridiculously negative.  The way we play has us as the 3rd best team in the country over the last 13 months.  Of course we can improve - and I am sure we're looking at options in terms of signings / coaching to do so.  But we're doing well playing the way that Emery plays - if things don't work we usually see us try something different but within the same basic philosophy of play.  I think part of the problem today was that because we had Cash and Konsa in advanced positions - when we did create space for a shot (which we did a few times) often those chances came to Cash or Konsa.  With Tielemans and Luiz on the pitch those chances would have instead come to Luiz or McGinn and we'd probably have tucked one away earlier.

Anyway - 3 more points in the bag.  Happy d ays. 🙂

• Like 4

The first half was...alright? The open game suited us better than the alternative, but our chances were falling to the wrong players, and conceding a sloppy tame set piece goal so late on was potentially disastrous. We did see Pau doing what he was originally meant to do as part of a back three and I thought he was excellent.

The second half was ten minutes of total dominance by Villa with no end product, ten minutes of Brentford threatening again, then the red and load of embarrassing craziness

It's a great result but Emery needs to get a big mental reset going this week because people were losing the run of themselves and acting like maniacs. There's no good reason for Kamara to have put himself out of three matches, and Watkins, with the caveat that we probably won't know exactly how bad the stuff this rando in the crowd was shouting at him was, doesn't really need to be making the game about that and causing melees

All in all, well done, now please calm down and have an early night FFS

• Like 1

A great result, massively aided by the red card. Funny, I said to a mate yesterday, it would be really good if we got helped out by a red card like Newcastle got yesterday. In the end, it was the turning point.

A lot of positives to come from the result BUT, we need to stop going behind away from home! Martinez bailed us out a couple of times today, no doubt. 

A great win and a massive platform to go into the new year top of the table with the fixtures we have coming up. 

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, we’re a much better side without Buendia. Absolutely no coincidence we’re doing so well without him. 

I heard he was injured, not sure about Mings though...

Â