Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/23 at 23:59

Over the past two seasons we almost certainly wouldn’t have come back from 1-0 down against an obstinate team like Brentford, even against 10 men, since we were never very good at capitalising on those situations. The fact we came back to win is a tribute to the improvements in squad strength and focus that have come with Emery. 

People are saying we were poor but we were significantly below strength today in a key area of the field without Luiz and Tielemans, plus we have played 26 games this season as opposed to Brentford’s 19, and our squad is understandably starting to show the strain. So I think we did bloody well to come back and hold on. Shows we have a lot of resilience, not always a key characteristic in the past.

Having said that, the scenes at the end were shocking, disgraceful and stupid. Watkins’s celebration was ill-judged, however much abuse he was taking, and Martinez and Kamara should know better than to be sucked into pointless brawling. I suspect there may be further punishment for the club from the Premier League and it’s a good chance the Club will discipline one or two players. 

The last thing we need just at the moment is to be losing players to stupid red cards.

Delighted to win. Delighted with Mee red.

Stupid to get sucked into that brawl. Fell into Maupay’s trap. We were 2-1 up in the 98th minute - why not just leave him laying down? And it’s ended up costing us Kamara for three games.

Still - we showed we can mix it and win, and that has value in itself.

A: How is maupays flop not considered a yellow card for diving?

2: I think that game would have been perfect for tielemans to play that final line breaking pass that we were crying out for in the second half

III: Thomas Frank gives me the creeps the wee weirdo 

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Kamara's might get reduced to one game hopefully

Is this possible? Really hope so… a huge miss (we badly need quality DM cover/competition) but tbh… I was more scared or concerned that the card was being shown to big Emi first! Just imagine 😮 

All I saw was Bouba holding a player back trying to keep him calm, their player reacted in anger and then I think that’s when the “offence” occurred… off camera…?

Ref failed to take control of the game or the players… most were worked up and reacting but… again, I didn’t see specifically what Bouba did. If it was a headbutt then we just have to accept the punishment.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Ref failed to take control of the game or the players… most were worked up and reacting but… again, I didn’t see specifically what Bouba did. If it was a headbutt then we just have to accept the punishment.

Walked after a Brentford player, grabbed him and spun him around and then pushed him in the face. Stupid. 

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The brentford player through his hand back towards bouba's face. Bouba reacted stupidly but it wasn't totally unprovoked 

Yes it was - entirely unprovoked. It was stupid.