viivvaa66

On 20/11/2023 at 15:28, wedge said:

Not having to queue for a pint in the concourse is a myth though, same queue as most stadia in my experience (attended the fixture last season).

Nah, i've sat in the home end at Spurs and the speed of service is amazing. Of course there is a queue like at any entertainment venue, but at Villa it takes 15 mins to get served a pie and pint at half-time, at Spurs it takes 5 mins max. Of course they do have a lot more space, so wider serving counters and can fit more staff behind them. But also the staff seem to know how to serve. 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Spurs and Newcastle rely heavily on High intensity and physical contact.....its all well and good for so long, but Injuries start to pile up.

Ange and Eddie Howe, have a huge emphasis on drive, pace and power, which is great.....but its hard to maintain over a season of cumulative games...It will result in great wins, but it will result in poor results too.

Their form, depends on the day, you catch them.

I think we have caught them at a good time. We’ve been unlucky with injuries ourselves, but they have four key players out. I just hope all our international players come back fully fit.

So I am confident going into this one (a dangerous game I know) because Spurs despite their injuries under Ange will play the same way. They aren’t going to low block us like Forest or Wolves when playing us at home, their fans won’t accept that and neither will Ange. Therefore, Dier and Davies will be exposed and they are weak against pace. We just need to avoid conceding an early goal away from home, our record winning away after going a goal down early on is really poor. Happened in all our away defeats this season.

On 20/11/2023 at 15:57, John said:

Some interesting comments on "The Fighting Cock" fan site and one that really isn't:

- "We went behind against Brentford and came back to get a point, We went behind against Burnley and went and scored 5. We went behind against Sheffield United and went and won 2-1. We went behind against Woolwich and drew that game too. Villa have gone behind in 5 games this season and won just 1 of them (drawing the other and losing the other 3). Emery is a fantastic manager and what he's doing at Aston Villa is miraculous. No team has had more points than Villa at this stage of a season and not been in the top four - this isn't an easy game. They are basically full strength. We're missing four of our best and most important players."

- "Without Maddison, Bissouma, Romero and Van De Van I just don’t see what there is for Villa to worry about. Of course Son is still there but who is going to get the ball to him in goal scoring areas? Who is going to keep Watkins under control? Who is going to bring the ball out from the back?"

- "Villa are a decent side, and will provide a real threat, especially with our injury crisis."

- "If Dier plays we lose this."

- "I worry playing such a high line with Dier at the heart of our defence. I don't worry about Villa, though. Villa can f*** off." :rolleyes: 

- "I’ve a bad feeling about this. One positive is that they play a high line too so Son and johnson should be able to get in behind as much as Watkins will with Dier and Davies."

Link: https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/spurs-v-villa-sunday-26-nov-2pm.48751/

I would take a point and I would also take three....;)

“Basically full strength” 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting in the Spurs comments and on their site - they definitely see it as a big side with injuries against a smaller side in excellent form. 

Same in the media - I listened to one of their podcasts and they described us as 'annoyingly buzzing around sides like Spurs' at the top of the table. I think they see us as the next Brighton/West Ham (an interesting sub-plot in the Premier League season, but not serious challengers to the elite). Long may we continue to be underestimated - I like it when we get to give a team a reality check! 😁

• Like 1

All they would say is up to last summer they'd qualified for one of the european competitions every season up to 2009. So a side like us making europe for first time in over a decade compared to them I don't see the issue.

The narrative will change in a year or two if we keep backing UE as we'll be finishing above them on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting in the Spurs comments and on their site - they definitely see it as a big side with injuries against a smaller side in excellent form. 

I don't think it's that - I think they might be missing something - Spurs are now our natural rivals for a place in the table, excellent start to the season notwithstanding, they're the limping gazelle in the big six - winning this one would be a big step in terms of us replacing them, killing the big six and establishing the eight team Premier League leaders group.

They'll take a point and would like three - I'll take a point, but I want to take Spurs future.

I don't think I'd take a draw in any fixture this season. 

It's interesting how Emery sets us up to win or lose but not draw. That can't be coincidence. Obviously aim to win most games but don't be concerned by defeats.

If Watkins hits the inside of the post v wolves and it goes in, rather than the outside, we'd have no draws in about 20 games so far this season. The fact that that was set up perfectly for an outcome suggests that its deliberate. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

All they would say is up to last summer they'd qualified for one of the european competitions every season up to 2009. So a side like us making europe for first time in over a decade compared to them I don't see the issue.

The narrative will change in a year or two if we keep backing UE as we'll be finishing above them on a consistent basis.

I can't argue with that logic, but the way they're talking, we're not even a threat to them and their position this season, let alone in future ones.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I can't argue with that logic, but the way they're talking, we're not even a threat to them and their position this season, let alone in future ones.

They've had a better than expected start but I think Spurs will be in the 6th-8th group by end of the season so we should be above them come May just like last season played out.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They've had a better than expected start but I think Spurs will be in the 6th-8th group by end of the season so we should be above them come May just like last season played out.

Yep, I agree with that! Especially with the key injuries they've suffered.

22 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it's that - I think they might be missing something - Spurs are now our natural rivals for a place in the table, excellent start to the season notwithstanding, they're the limping gazelle in the big six - winning this one would be a big step in terms of us replacing them, killing the big six and establishing the eight team Premier League leaders group.

They'll take a point and would like three - I'll take a point, but I want to take Spurs future.

I will take a point....I don't think we quite have the doggedness of last season away from home.....but happy to be wrong.

We are still WIP, but some are talking like we are the finished article.

I have no problem with folk getting mega excited, with our home form, why not......but predictions need to be tempered with considerations towards our away form.

Edited by TRO

43 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This game has the potential to be a bit bonkers. If we can not concede early , i'd fancy us to win. I'd like us to just keep things tight for 20 mins and look to hit on the counter. Don't think it will happen tho. 

Yes - it is likely to have plenty of goals. Tough to call. I hope we have the edge especially with their injuries and a 2 week tactical masterclass from the boss. 4-2 Villa.

• Like 1

This is a must win game.  For spurs.  Losing three in a row will be the end of their title aspirations, which lasted longer than anyone expected tbf.

I'm predicting a game won in the midfield, whoever comes out on top gets to dictate where the game is played, and the pace and flow of the game.  I'm hoping ours is more settled and will come out on top, I also see our recovery from turnovers to be quicker and better drilled.  If they were at full strength, I'd say they edge it at home, with how things are I think we do. UTV

On 22/11/2023 at 12:32, OutByEaster? said:

As long as they win more in their near future than their recent past then I’m all for taking that! 😆