viivvaa66

16 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I'm not buying the Ange hype just yet. I think that results have been better than performances on quite a few occasions. Apart from the 5-2 against Burnley, have they really dominated any other opponents? Against the teams you'd expect them to beat they've had pretty even games, overall (and got lucky on a couple of occasions). Comparatively, we've battered everyone we've beaten (apart from Chelsea).
And as for their 'big' results:

2-0 against a poor Man Utd who could have had a couple of goals and a penalty in the first half.
95th minute winner against 9 man Liverpool after benefitting from VAR's biggest error (yet).
Battled to a 2-2 draw against Arsenal (probably their best performance so far) but both their goals still came from poor Arsenal defending.

Yeah I feel Big Ange gets more credit than he deserves and Unai gets less than he deserves, but I still think Ange has done better than expected. They lost Kane in the summer and won 8 of their first 10 games going unbeaten, look at what happened to us the season we lost Grealish. Think giving him three Manager of the Month awards is excessive, but again they were unbeaten in all those three months and won all their games in October. He has also got them playing much better football than they did last season.

I wouldn’t take him over Emery, but do think he’s had a very good start. Whether he can sustain it with their current injury list is another matter and if we beat them on Sunday his honeymoon period is very much over.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah I feel Big Ange gets more credit than he deserves and Unai gets less than he deserves, but I still think Ange has done better than expected. They lost Kane in the summer and won 8 of their first 10 games going unbeaten, look at what happened to us the season we lost Grealish. Think giving him three Manager of the Month awards is excessive, but again they were unbeaten in all those three months and won all their games in October. He has also got them playing much better football than they did last season.

Yeah, perhaps it's the way the two managers are portrayed differently in the media that colours my judgement of Ange:
Tottenham win 8 out of 10 = 'Could they win the league?'/ 'Ange is a charismatic genius!' (after 10 games)
Villa a point behind them (and challenging the established elite over a much longer period) = 'yeah but they lost 5-1 at Newcastle' or 'enjoy Unai while you can because a 'big' team will come and take him!'

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I wouldn’t take him over Emery, but do think he’s had a very good start. Whether he can sustain it with their current injury list is another matter and if we beat them on Sunday his honeymoon period is very much over.

They and the press love him so I think the honeymoon will possibly continue, even if we beat them. If we hammer them then it could turn of course. If they beat us then he’ll be the reincarnation of Bill Nicholson. All will be revealed on Sunday. If we beat them then obviously the London press will decide that the Sultan is much too good for little Brummie Villa. Or it was just a fluke down to injuries at the mighty spuds. Let’s hammer them anyway please Villa. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

They and the press love him so I think the honeymoon will possibly continue, even if we beat them. If we hammer them then it could turn of course. If they beat us then he’ll be the reincarnation of Bill Nicholson. All will be revealed on Sunday. If we beat them then obviously the London press will decide that the Sultan is much too good for little Brummie Villa. Or it was just a fluke down to injuries at the mighty spuds. Let’s hammer them anyway please Villa. 

If we hammer them and then have the audacity to beat Arsenal and Man City then it’ll become clear that something must be done about us. Check the Everton file for punishment available or move Unai to a club that will be more suitable to his talents. Uppity Brummy chancers need putting in their place! Step Forward Nas and Wes to show them they/ we  mean business! UTV!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Looking forward to this one, first away of the season. Went a couple of years ago and say what you want about Levy but the stadium and facilities are 1st class.

1 hour ago, jim said:

Looking forward to this one, first away of the season. Went a couple of years ago and say what you want about Levy but the stadium and facilities are 1st class.

Not having to queue for a pint in the concourse is a myth though, same queue as most stadia in my experience (attended the fixture last season).

Some interesting comments on "The Fighting Cock" fan site and one that really isn't:

- "We went behind against Brentford and came back to get a point, We went behind against Burnley and went and scored 5. We went behind against Sheffield United and went and won 2-1. We went behind against Woolwich and drew that game too. Villa have gone behind in 5 games this season and won just 1 of them (drawing the other and losing the other 3). Emery is a fantastic manager and what he's doing at Aston Villa is miraculous. No team has had more points than Villa at this stage of a season and not been in the top four - this isn't an easy game. They are basically full strength. We're missing four of our best and most important players."

- "Without Maddison, Bissouma, Romero and Van De Van I just don’t see what there is for Villa to worry about. Of course Son is still there but who is going to get the ball to him in goal scoring areas? Who is going to keep Watkins under control? Who is going to bring the ball out from the back?"

- "Villa are a decent side, and will provide a real threat, especially with our injury crisis."

- "If Dier plays we lose this."

- "I worry playing such a high line with Dier at the heart of our defence. I don't worry about Villa, though. Villa can f*** off." :rolleyes: 

- "I’ve a bad feeling about this. One positive is that they play a high line too so Son and johnson should be able to get in behind as much as Watkins will with Dier and Davies."

Link: https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/spurs-v-villa-sunday-26-nov-2pm.48751/

I would take a point and I would also take three....;)

This is another fantastic opportunity to get three points; I'd fancy Villa regardless of their injuries but this should help us even more.

Just don't be complacent and start slow because we have tended to give the home team the ascendancy in a few away games this season...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wedge said:

Not having to queue for a pint in the concourse is a myth though, same queue as most stadia in my experience (attended the fixture last season).

When we went two years ago we were on the second floor and got served straight away. There was a bit of a queue in the longer bar downstairs but nothing like other grounds.

13 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Palace game was very even until the first goal - not many chances and Spurs had only 3 shots in the first half. Most of their 0.9 xg came from Son's goal too. Fulham had a number of opportunities vs them on the break but messed them all up because their front line is so bad. 

I watched both. Palace game was very boring but always felt like Spurs were in control of that and could step it up when needed. Same for Fulham.

However even though they were leading for pretty much the whole game at Wolves they were never in control of that for one second so it will largely be the same 11 out v us which is very promising.

4 hours ago, John said:

Some interesting comments on "The Fighting Cock" fan site and one that really isn't:

- "We went behind against Brentford and came back to get a point, We went behind against Burnley and went and scored 5. We went behind against Sheffield United and went and won 2-1. We went behind against Woolwich and drew that game too. Villa have gone behind in 5 games this season and won just 1 of them (drawing the other and losing the other 3). Emery is a fantastic manager and what he's doing at Aston Villa is miraculous. No team has had more points than Villa at this stage of a season and not been in the top four - this isn't an easy game. They are basically full strength. We're missing four of our best and most important players."

- "Without Maddison, Bissouma, Romero and Van De Van I just don’t see what there is for Villa to worry about. Of course Son is still there but who is going to get the ball to him in goal scoring areas? Who is going to keep Watkins under control? Who is going to bring the ball out from the back?"

- "Villa are a decent side, and will provide a real threat, especially with our injury crisis."

- "If Dier plays we lose this."

- "I worry playing such a high line with Dier at the heart of our defence. I don't worry about Villa, though. Villa can f*** off." :rolleyes: 

- "I’ve a bad feeling about this. One positive is that they play a high line too so Son and johnson should be able to get in behind as much as Watkins will with Dier and Davies."

Link: https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/spurs-v-villa-sunday-26-nov-2pm.48751/

I would take a point and I would also take three....;)

Well they're kinder about us generally than the reaction Forest were getting from us on the pre match thread a few weeks ago! Plenty on there expecting us to beat them whereas Forest were complete and utterly dismissed as no threat whatsoever form 90% on pre match thread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Well they're kinder about us generally than the reaction Forest were getting from us on the pre match thread a few weeks ago! Plenty on there expecting us to beat them whereas Forest were complete and utterly dismissed as no threat whatsoever form 90% on pre match thread.

Yes, they were full of themselves, I think some of them think it's still the late 70s and even if it was we weren't a team to be easily dismissed then either. ;)

On 19/11/2023 at 19:04, OutByEaster? said:

I see Spurs as our number one rival this season - and our games against them will be the biggest of our season.

This one, with their injuries is a real opportunity for us.

Massive game.

I am still not sure that we have discovered the doggedness, we had away from home, of last season....I hope we can rediscover it.

Not sure what to expect, in this game....Its all on the day.

Edited by TRO

On 20/11/2023 at 11:18, Leeroy said:

Spurs and Newcastle rely heavily on High intensity and physical contact.....its all well and good for so long, but Injuries start to pile up.

Ange and Eddie Howe, have a huge emphasis on drive, pace and power, which is great.....but its hard to maintain over a season of cumulative games...It will result in great wins, but it will result in poor results too.

Their form, depends on the day, you catch them.

• Like 1