Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Just now, BOF said:

In fairness I'd say that's the dream of every product manufacturer if you can do it.

I don't apply fairness to that word removed. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, BOF said:

Happy Thatcher death day

Ah what a surreal night in Liverpool that was, smiles and friendly faces in every pub you visited bumping into people you hadn't seen for years and where the hell everyone found those fireworks in April is still a mystery

There was hardly a car on the road and people were spilling out of every pub you passed

We had to use our immense knowledge of back street boozers just to stand a chance of getting served

Also, the line "I'm off out for a drink love, Thatcher's dead" was universally accepted

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah what a surreal night in Liverpool that was, smiles and friendly faces in every pub you visited bumping into people you hadn't seen for years and where the hell everyone found those fireworks in April is still a mystery

There was hardly a car on the road and people were spilling out of every pub you passed

We had to use our immense knowledge of back street boozers just to stand a chance of getting served

Also, the line "I'm off out for a drink love, Thatcher's dead" was universally accepted

The day she was kicked out of Number Ten in tears, my then boss took us all down the pub and stood a round of Thatcher's Ruin cider. The office Tory was turn between his 'principles' (sic) and his natural inclination to arselick. The latter naturally won out and he sat there with an obviously forced smile while we all whooped it up. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Y'know ... she is still dead 🤔 so that should still work.

• Haha 1

This is probably a much more well known fact (considering there appears to be a book about it) but I only found out yesterday...

JFK, Aldous Huxley and C.S. Lewis all died on the same day, it seems within a couple of hours of each other. I’d imagine that the VT deadpool thread would have exploded that day. 

I thought it was quite hectic when the deaths of Jonathan Miller and Gary Rhodes were confirmed on the same day.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This is probably a much more well known fact (considering there appears to be a book about it) but I only found out yesterday...

JFK, Aldous Huxley and C.S. Lewis all died on the same day, it seems within a couple of hours of each other. I’d imagine that the VT deadpool thread would have exploded that day. 

I thought it was quite hectic when the deaths of Jonathan Miller and Gary Rhodes were confirmed on the same day.

And of the three, Aldous Huxley had by far the best way to go. 

• Like 2

On 13/04/2021 at 18:58, Xela said:

Interesting 

I had a quick look to see if any other instances of famous people dying on the same day. There was a few interesting ones

Orson Welles & Yul Brynner

Jean Cocteau & Edith Piaf

Milton Berle, Dudley Moore & Billy Wilder

The most interesting, for me, was, John Adams & Thomas Jefferson. The 2nd and 3rd Presidents of the United States... both died on Independence Day in 1826. They both worked on the Declaration of Independence exactly 50 years earlier. 5 years later on Independence Day 1831, James Monroe, the 5th President, also died. The 4th President, James Madison, had the temerity to not make it until July 4th... going on June 28th instead, in 1836

THAT is my type of fact. I knew Jefferson died on the 4th of July but I didn't know Adams did.

I'd love to find out more of these "died on the same day"  connections. There was the whole Kennedy/Lincoln assassination similarities thing I remember 

• Like 1

Evel Knieval (real name Robert Knieval) got his name because he was once in prison for the night. The guy in the cell next to him had the surname Knofel (pronounced K-nawful) and was a bit of a troublemaker,  so the guards had nicknamed him Awful Knofel, and Robert used the same idea

• Like 2

I found out last night that back in the thirties, Colonel Sanders ran a petrol station. A rival station owner, Matt Stewart kept defacing Sanders’ advertisements, so Sanders and a colleague confronted Stewart. 

This being the USA, it naturally turned into a gunfight. Stewart first shot and killed the colonel’s mate, while Sanders also pulled out a gun and shot Stewart in the shoulder. The subsequent jailing of Stewart helped take out the competition.

• Like 1

That there is a Straw Hat day (15th of May) when it was considered to be socially accepted to switch from your bowler hat. 

And that there was a Straw Hat Riot in New York in 1922 when  some men continued to wear the said hat after the date that was considered not acceptable to wear it (15th September).

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Evel Knieval (real name Robert Knieval) got his name because he was once in prison for the night. The guy in the cell next to him had the surname Knofel (pronounced K-nawful) and was a bit of a troublemaker,  so the guards had nicknamed him Awful Knofel, and Robert used the same idea

been watching taskmaster have we?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The "present day" in Back to the Future was famously October 26th 1985. That's the date shown in the De Lorean as the present. 

This was a Saturday.

We know that the Goonies takes place on a Saturday as the kids are all out of school and it's mentioned fairly early on that it is Saturday.

We also know that it was October, because a calendar on the wall of one of the bedrooms is turned to the October page.

Also, in a later scene, the kids find a recent newspaper with a picture of the criminal family the Fratellis on the front. This newspaper is dated 24th October 1985 so it must be set after that date.

The only Saturday in October that year that occurs after the date on the newspaper is October 26th 1985

Great Scott!

You got too much time on your hands man! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I never enjoyed or got Goonies. I watched it once and thought it was a bit shit. 

I think you were maybe a bit too old for it? 

It's an adventure film with kids, set in the 80s, you'd have been too busy wanking over Thatcher to pay attention to that "kiddie shit" :P  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I never enjoyed or got Goonies. I watched it once and thought it was a bit shit. 

I think it was a generational thing, if you were an 80’s kid then chances are you love it, born any other time and it probably doesn’t resonate. 

It’s one of my all time favourite childhood films and I can still enjoy it today even.

Â