Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think you were maybe a bit too old for it? 

It's an adventure film with kids, set in the 80s, you'd have been too busy wanking over Thatcher to pay attention to that "kiddie shit" :P  

Scargill in a donkey jacket. Probably. 

• Like 1

In all honesty at 15 the films I was into was John Hughes films. Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller were released around the same time and they were big films for me back then. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The "present day" in Back to the Future was famously October 26th 1985. That's the date shown in the De Lorean as the present. 

This was a Saturday.

We know that the Goonies takes place on a Saturday as the kids are all out of school and it's mentioned fairly early on that it is Saturday.

We also know that it was October, because a calendar on the wall of one of the bedrooms is turned to the October page.

Also, in a later scene, the kids find a recent newspaper with a picture of the criminal family the Fratellis on the front. This newspaper is dated 24th October 1985 so it must be set after that date.

The only Saturday in October that year that occurs after the date on the newspaper is October 26th 1985

Great Scott!

I feel like I have been shot with a diamond bullet right through my forehead. The genius.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The "present day" in Back to the Future was famously October 26th 1985. That's the date shown in the De Lorean as the present. 

This was a Saturday.

We know that the Goonies takes place on a Saturday as the kids are all out of school and it's mentioned fairly early on that it is Saturday.

We also know that it was October, because a calendar on the wall of one of the bedrooms is turned to the October page.

Also, in a later scene, the kids find a recent newspaper with a picture of the criminal family the Fratellis on the front. This newspaper is dated 24th October 1985 so it must be set after that date.

The only Saturday in October that year that occurs after the date on the newspaper is October 26th 1985

Great Scott!

I have just told everyone at work about this, they were not impressed at all, I on the other hand was astounded by it

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This was a Saturday.

Great Scott!

This is heavy!

Excellent factoid. 

I shall be passing that off as my own in WhatsApp group chats later :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I never enjoyed or got Goonies. I watched it once and thought it was a bit shit. 

I agree and it's my era (as in I was 15 when it was released) 

Never really enjoyed it as a film. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This was a Saturday.

Great Scott!

In the Goonies book Jake Fratelli escapes on Sat 24th October , which is a strange “mistake “ as the book is written from the movie script .

270E75F2-AA92-45A4-A8C3-7F5660D18CDD.png

2 hours ago, lammy123 said:

Maybe a little Spielberg Easter egg.

When chunk calls the police he’s asked if this is another one of your stories like the “little creatures that multiply when you pour water on them,” 

(Spielberg was a producer on gremlins) 

• Like 3

On 30/04/2021 at 14:07, bannedfromHandV said:

I think it was a generational thing, if you were an 80’s kid then chances are you love it, born any other time and it probably doesn’t resonate. 

It’s one of my all time favourite childhood films and I can still enjoy it today even.

I didn't like it. I didn't like Ferris Bueller either, and I'm exactly the right age group. Maybe I didn't watch them in the right circumstances, I dunno. The esteem with which they're held was always weird to me.

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

I didn't like it. I didn't like Ferris Bueller either, and I'm exactly the right age group. Maybe I didn't watch them in the right circumstances, I dunno. The esteem with which they're held was always weird to me.

Maybe one for the Film thread, but Ferris Bueller is one of those films that's fine really, quite good in its own way, but absolutely ruined for everyone by an absurd fandom who insist against all common sense that it's 'one of the best films EVAH!'. See also Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, maybe also The Breakfast Club etc.

The key thing in common is that idiots who were teenagers or tweenagers in the 80s are now of the right age to be in the most prominent writing-about-culture roles.

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Percentages are reversible.

72% of 22 is the same as 22% of 72 etc. 

See, that's the sort of thing that blows my mind, but probably seems self-evident to maths comfortable people. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

See, that's the sort of thing that blows my mind, but probably seems self-evident to maths comfortable people. 

(22/100)*72

(22(72))/100

(72/100)*22

(72(22))/100

Does that help?

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

(22/100)*72

(22(72))/100

(72/100)*22

(72(22))/100

Does that help?

No. I just see a load of numbers and symbols that make my brain scream 'run away!' 

I mean, if I sit down and think about it, I know I could easily see the logic, but I really don't want to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No. I just see a load of numbers and symbols that make my brain scream 'run away!' 

I mean, if I sit down and think about it, I know I could easily see the logic, but I really don't want to. 

That is exactly the same attitude as my son. 

Unfortunately next week he's taking A Level tests that will in the main decide his grade. 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 20:10, bickster said:

(22/100)*72

(22(72))/100

(72/100)*22

(72(22))/100

Does that help?

That didn't help me and I was comfortable with it beforehand.

• Thanks 1

Â