Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

11 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Surprised badger's don't weigh more than that, seems a bit low. 

I dunno, I see a fair few badgers on the side of A roads and a lot of them appear to be mostly empty.

• Haha 1

I saw a badger in a Kidderminster cul-de-sac. I reckon he was about 20kg!

I still think i've seen more dead ones than alive. Same as hedgehogs. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I saw a badger in a Kidderminster cul-de-sac. I reckon he was about 20kg!

I still think i've seen more dead ones than alive. Same as hedgehogs. 

You want light badgers though, a badger is a badger, if it weights one badger, the lighter the better, more bucks for your badgers

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Never seen a badger but a few years ago I saw a wombat eating something at the side of the road.

Unless it was eating the Lindisfarne Gospel that information is totally useless... 

So I guess that's fitting. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do love a good @Chindie story. Although on a related note I wouldn't say soft drinks dissolving things over an extended period of time is that horrifying or weird, given the amount of stories in circulation about what happens to things left in Coca Cola for any length of time.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 11:45, Chindie said:

In April 2009 a man filed a lawsuit against Pepsi after having bought a can of Mountain Dew a month before. The lawsuit was brought because the man alleged that, after having taken a swig, he poured the can into a cup, and discovered a dead mouse had been in it.

He lost the lawsuit. 

So? Guy fakes an incident to sue corporation, gets found out, what's interesting about that?

Well, the interesting thing is what formed part of the defence Pepsi put forward. Pepsi knew when the can had been made, which meant they knew when the mouse would have been in the can from. They then put forward an expert who was able to calculate that had the mouse been in the can since it was produced the liquid would have dissolved the mouse into a rubber, jelly like mass. Indeed, the expert argued, it's bones would have dissolved within a week of being submerged.

Ultimately the defence also put forward arguments that the mouse was born after the can was produced and it had been dead for some time before it had gone into the liquid. But it's a very bizarre thing to see a corporation argue in court that their drink will quickly dissolve a body.

As a bonus bit of Mountain Dew trivia, until recently the US version of the drink contained an ingredient called brominated vegetable oil. BVO is used as an emulsifier, effectively preventing the drink from splitting. What's so bad about that? Well, it's banned in various countries because it causes thyroid problems (mostly relating to the absorption of iodine). It's also been patented as a flame retardant, and related chemicals are actually used to improve flame resistance in plastics. Pepsi finally replaced it in the ingredients last year, though still produces a classic version apparently, for those that hate their thyroid.

I would have thought that a mouse would be too large to come out of a can/bottle.

32 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I would have thought that a mouse would be too large to come out of a can/bottle.

It was apparently a very young baby mouse or rat.

Not that it came out of the can anyway. I'm not sure this bloke was thinking things through when he dreamt up the foolproof plan of suing Pepsi for a finding a dead mouse in his drink.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Nigel said:

A speck of dust is half way between the size of the planet earth and an atom!

A human being is halfway between the size of the smallest known subatomic particle and the size of the known universe. 

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

A speck of dust is half way between the size of the planet earth and an atom!

Yes and no .... perhaps on a logarithmic scale, but not on a tape measure.

but on this topic

If you had a mole of 10 kg dogs you would have a squidgy mess, with approximately the mass of the planet.

Edited by fruitvilla

7 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Yes and no .... perhaps on a logarithmic scale, but not on a tape measure.

but on this topic

If you had a mole of 10 kg dogs you would have a squidgy mess, with approximately the mass of the planet.

Interesting…

what would you consider halfway in the following sequence of numbers?

A: 8

B: 32

Â