Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Interesting…

what would you consider halfway in the following sequence of numbers?

A: 8

B: 32

Depends ... on the "scale" ...  which is better: mean or median? But definitely not 8! .... 

On 20/07/2021 at 04:41, BOF said:

I do love a good @Chindie story. Although on a related note I wouldn't say soft drinks dissolving things over an extended period of time is that horrifying or weird, given the amount of stories in circulation about what happens to things left in Coca Cola for any length of time.

Coca Cola was an oft-used form of post-coital birth control among teens in the ‘50s and ‘60s, at least in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the above (and more pointlessly) Joules Brewery is the 6th oldest beer trademark. It’s Red Cross symbol predates the British Red Cross so to differentiate between the two, the brewery one has gold edging around it.

• Like 2

1984's Ghostbusters is one of the most beloved movies of all time, with reason - it's amazing. The film famously had a convoluted development, from legal issues due to the name being the same as an obscure 70s TV show, to Dan Akroyd's original script being increasingly bizarre to the point it was completely unfilmable.

That script was bizarre because Akroyd is genuinely obsessed with the paranormal. He has an immense knowledge of completely useless information, and even alleges that he lived with a ghost for a number of years.  As a result he riddled his original script with paranormal and esoteric references, very few of which remain.

But one interesting one does. Remember the ultimate villain in Ghostbusters? The extremely thin oddly androgynous being Gozer? That name is a reference to the Enfield Poltergeist case. Early during the case 2 alleged psychics attended the house and during their... investigations, at one point the wife of the pair began crying 'Gozer, Gozer, please help me Gozer'. The husband later claimed that 'Gozer is a nasty piece of work, a black magic kinda chap'.

Akroyd, being a paranormal buff, knew about the story and used the name as yet another callback to the weird and spooky shit he loves, but unlike most of the rest of it, that reference survived into the final film to become movie history.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

1984's Ghostbusters is one of the most beloved movies of all time, with reason - it's amazing. The film famously had a convoluted development, from legal issues due to the name being the same as an obscure 70s TV show, to Dan Akroyd's original script being increasingly bizarre to the point it was completely unfilmable.

That script was bizarre because Akroyd is genuinely obsessed with the paranormal. He has an immense knowledge of completely useless information, and even alleges that he lived with a ghost for a number of years.  As a result he riddled his original script with paranormal and esoteric references, very few of which remain.

But one interesting one does. Remember the ultimate villain in Ghostbusters? The extremely thin oddly androgynous being Gozer? That name is a reference to the Enfield Poltergeist case. Early during the case 2 alleged psychics attended the house and during their... investigations, at one point the wife of the pair began crying 'Gozer, Gozer, please help me Gozer'. The husband later claimed that 'Gozer is a nasty piece of work, a black magic kinda chap'.

Akroyd, being a paranormal buff, knew about the story and used the name as yet another callback to the weird and spooky shit he loves, but unlike most of the rest of it, that reference survived into the final film to become movie history.

When I was very young, the Enfield poltergeist was a book that was passed round my circle of friends. We were maybe 13 and the reactions ranged from sleeping with the light on to looking for holes in the stories. I loved that book. I may have mentioned this before but years later one of the authors Guy Lyon Playfair, the psychic researcher did a talk at Butlins, I spent a couple of hours talking through the Enfield poltergeist, very enjoyable but difficult for me as it was pretty much bollocks as far as I was concerned. 

Â