Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

14 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

There is some weird equation about when we should leave to explore the milky way that takes into account the speed the technology will get us there vs if we leave in 30 or 50 or 5 years becasue after 50 years you might be able to go 3 times faster than at 30 years technology.  

Stasis must be possible or its a no go afaik.

I could just look it up but does anyone know what I am on about (more fun)? It's a bit vague and I am doubting it now 😀

Yep there's also planet orbits too.  Like taking off and not having; for example Jupiter; in the right place when you need it could affect your speed beyond that point, but waiting around for a few years could mean you get there not just quicker from launch time, but earlier in real time too. All very faskinating. And yes the longer you wait, the closer you are to the invention of the continuum transfunctioner and the improbability drive.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

There is some weird equation about when we should leave to explore the milky way that takes into account the speed the technology will get us there vs if we leave in 30 or 50 or 5 years becasue after 50 years you might be able to go 3 times faster than at 30 years technology.  

I could just look it up but does anyone know what I am on about (more fun)? It's a bit vague and I am doubting it now 😀

This fascinates me. It's a paradox really.

Imagine heading off on your 50 year journey to a far away planet or whatever and when you get there there's a **** Starbucks waiting for you

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This fascinates me. It's a paradox really.

Imagine heading off on your 50 year journey to a far away planet or whatever and when you get there there's a **** Starbucks waiting for you

It's been used as the basis for several SF stories, e.g. Arthur C. Clarke's 'The Songs of Distant Earth'. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 21:10, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It's real after all and really interesting,  the equation is called "The Barnard’s Star and the ‘Wait Equation’"

This explains it really well here...

• 2 weeks later...

Ex Villa player holds world record.

The fastest time to clear a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos (individual) is 17.37 sec, and was achieved by Axel Tuanzebe (UK) at the Montage Hotel, Los Angeles, California, USA, on 17 July 2018.

This record was achieved during Manchester United's 2018 pre-season tour of North America.

Apologies if this is old news but it’s something I only became aware of today. 

Edited by choffer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 19/10/2020 at 17:07, BOF said:

I wonder how few players you would need to go back to a) the formation of the Football League and b) the first FA Cup. 

I note our own  Billy Walker would fill in a gap to 1919 (ending 1933) but I'm sure there must be a longer and more precise career that would go back farther than that to fit the 4th player category, maybe to 1910 or further.  Probably could get to 6 careers to 1888, maybe 7 players to 1871.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Why are blocks of polystyrene used in foundations of buildings when been built. I could Google but. Is it removed at one point.

Polystyrene is lighter than both earth, or soil, and the concrete above it. So this allows the building to stay afloat and not sink.

It’s basically like making a polystyrene raft for a brick on a pond. It’s lighter then the water so it keeps the brick which is heavier than water, up on the surface.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

In the Lee Child book "Die trying" 7 pages into chapter 15 Aston Villa Vs Bayern Munich is mentioned playing in Rottadam.

Didnt mention the European cup but we all know which match they are talking about.

He's a Villa fan, lot's of characters throughout his books named after Villa Players

I’ve never read any of Lee Childs’ novels, but he did write the foreword for Rob Bishop’s book - Euros and Villans. Which is an interesting trip down memory lane. I took my copy into work once to show a Sheff U fan, that had been giving me stick. Sheff U have never played in Europe, we’ve played over 80 competitive matches. 

Apologies that this wasn’t posted in the ‘boring’ thread. 

Lee Childs being a fan of Villa is covered extensively in the thread in On Topic called 'Famous Villa Fans', which I found the other day when wondering whether to create a thread of people you're devastated to discover are Villa fans.

(To be clear, I have absolutely no opinion about Lee Childs, the person irritating me at that moment was Lord Austin of Dudley).

• 2 weeks later...

The Origins of OK

"OK" is the all-purpose American expression that became an all-purpose English expression that became an all-purpose expression in dozens of other languages. It can be an enthusiastic cheer (A parking spot! OK!), an unenthusiastic "meh" (How was the movie? It was … OK.), a way to draw attention to a topic shift (OK. Here's the next thing we need to do), or a number of other really useful things. It's amazing that we ever got along without it at all. But we did. Until 1839....

The truth about OK, as Allan Metcalf, the author of OK: The Improbable Story of America's Greatest Word, puts it, is that it was "born as a lame joke perpetrated by a newspaper editor in 1839." This is not just Metcalf's opinion or a half remembered story he once heard, as most OK stories are. His book is based in the thorough scholarship of Allen Walker Read, a Columbia professor who for years scoured historical sources for evidence about OK, and published his findings in a series of journal articles in 1963 to 1964.

It Started With a Joke

OK, here's the story. On Saturday, March 23, 1839, the editor of the Boston Morning Post published a humorous article about a satirical organization called the "Anti-Bell Ringing Society "....

More here

• Like 1

Â