January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Emery won’t be buying any squad players. He’ll be buying first team quality or youth with very high potential. 

First team quality is our squad player.

Zaniolo, for example. 

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We attracted our whole first 11 without Champions league. Most of them without even playing in Europe. 

My point is that are squad is not as good player for player as Arsenal , Liverpool and Man City. We need CL football regularly to get to that level. 

• Like 1

My 3 areas to review in January- whether we improve in these locations?  I don't know-

GK Olsen- still not sold on him as our no2.  Above average shot stopper, below average distribution, below average command of his area.  Ideally acquire a 21-25yr old GK who can be Emi understudy

RB Cash- I agree with earlier posters that he needs competition for his position.  Originally I thought we would play 3CBs and Konsa would provide RB cover.  But due to CB injuries we use a back 4 much more often.

DM Dendonker- I'd like to see an upgrade here.  Granted he has not featured much- but when he does he's really struggled.  Perhaps the UE system doesn't suit him?  I think his lateral mobility is causing him problems.

Thats it for me.  All other areas we have adequate depth (2 deep) or injured players that will be returning prior to January.  UTV

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Beastmix said:

Cash is a really good player. He's fast, he scores goals, our defensive record is solid with him as an ever present... so there's not much to dislike about him. I'm also convinced, if he was a southern European/South American player, with the same level of ability, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

I don't believe, especially at right back, the ceiling is too much higher, so having a Digne/Moreno level of competition would be sufficient. What he really needs is another international calibre player to come in, challenge, and rotate with him. It'll also help him develop as a player.

This said, if Unai reckons somebody else can add an extra 1%, he'll go get the extra 1%.

He's also pretty clearly our weakest link along side LB and we have 2 players of arguably better quality than him there.

It's not that cash isn't good enough to play for a team in the top 5 of the prem - you'd argue he's probably as better than any of the 2md choice full backs anyone in the league has. But it's also a clear spot where we are worse than Liverpool, City, Arsenal and to some extent spurs (where porro is the better of tge 2 going forward).

I think with cash he's more just pretty good going forward and defensively rather than great at either which means you are losing strategic value by having him sit because of his attacking impetus but he's also not as dangerous as he should be when in those positions. 

Realistically where else could we spend 30-35 million in the team and get an improvement? Not upfront, Not GK, probably not an upgrade over Ramsey, Luiz or Kamara. 

So you are basically talking Rcb, RB, and RW. And Konsa, Mcginn and Bailey have been on fire. That leaves cash as a player with a couple of mistakes in his game as last man out. 

The comparison is a record outlay to get a similar upgrade. And that would carry significantly more risk. 

Edited by MotoMkali

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

McTominay 22 career goals, Dendomcker 19 career goals

Not really an upgrade in that department. They are near enough the same age

McTominay would be a call back to the MON failed transfer startegy of overpaid average Britiah talent. He is barely getting a start in one of the shittest teams in the league

He's also tactically inept so even though he's probably a more talented player he'd be much worse for us as he wouldn't be able to execute the scheme emery wants. He's also a box to box not a holding midfielder. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

My point is that are squad is not as good player for player as Arsenal , Liverpool and Man City. We need CL football regularly to get to that level. 

You need 50 games in a season consistently to convince guys that they'll get at least 20 starts even as 2nd choice. That matters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chambers isn't needed at all now with Lenglet in late in the window. Not sure why we didn't offer him to Burnley or Everton or teams like that.

As much as Cash is getting criticised again above Chambers at RB in Warsaw was one of the worst performances I've seen since the dark days of mid table in the championship.

The thought of him appearing at any time against quick left winger in the prem simply can't happen.

Would hang on to Donk until end of season unless we sign another CM.

I'm a big fan of Matty Cash, but I do think he can be improved upon.

I believe defensively he can be got at at, and he is usually to one playing opponents onside when our offside trap gets sprung. 

Going forward, his crossing is inconsistent, and he doesn't have the dribbling or explosiveness to beat players regularly. 

On the flipside he can finish, he has bags of energy and makes good runs off the ball.

So for me a player who can provide more of a threat going forward to provide real competition is what we should be looking for. This is because if we want defensive solidity we can always play Konsa at RB.

Dendonker simply lacks the ability to play while being pressed. So he is a clear player we need to improve upon. 

This business probably won't be able to be done in a winter window, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened next summer. 

Olsen isn't the right back up keeper. We need someone that is comfortable with the ball at his feet, and that is good at rushing out from his area. So at least we can still play out effectively when Martinez isn't in the team. The sooner we can find such a player the better.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The account quoted has 1.6m followers

After a quick google he’s an 18 year old forward but quite versatile apparently. He’s made 5 appearances for Besiktas, the rest have been U18 level. I mean, how do you even scout a player like that? How do you set him apart from, say, a young player in the championship?

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Agreed, not sure why we are mentioning him in this thread.

He's tall and made a couple goals in the last few weeks. Usual reason defensive-ish players are brought up.

Feels like the natural replacement/competition for Soucek if Moyes remains at Wet Spam

• Like 3

We could do with a RB as competition for Cash (would love Frimpong), but that’s it. Yes we would prefer a better understudy to Martinez, but I’d suggest it’s not a priority. All the speculation should be tempered by the return of Ramsey, Moreno, Buendia and Mings - imagine buying those and adding them to our squad. We still need to off load a few, but I honestly don’t see much happening until the end of the season.

I have no idea what money we have but you’d hope we keep it for the summer, because if we get Champions League we are looking a Diaby level strengthening. Nico Williams seems to be going to Barcelona next season, but if the money is there it’s that level of player I hope we add. Another DM or Goncalves, Vlahovic, or Chiesa at some point, maybe a superior RB. 

I do like Dani Cabellos, but with Tielemans finding his feet, and Ramsey and Buendia to come back, I reckon that’s unlikely.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

My 3 areas to review in January- whether we improve in these locations?  I don't know-

GK Olsen- still not sold on him as our no2.  Above average shot stopper, below average distribution, below average command of his area.  Ideally acquire a 21-25yr old GK who can be Emi understudy

RB Cash- I agree with earlier posters that he needs competition for his position.  Originally I thought we would play 3CBs and Konsa would provide RB cover.  But due to CB injuries we use a back 4 much more often.

DM Dendonker- I'd like to see an upgrade here.  Granted he has not featured much- but when he does he's really struggled.  Perhaps the UE system doesn't suit him?  I think his lateral mobility is causing him problems.

Thats it for me.  All other areas we have adequate depth (2 deep) or injured players that will be returning prior to January.  UTV

I agree on Olsen and Dendonk but I think those upgrades will get made in the summer. 

RB is the one I can see us trying to plug in January as Cash is playing a lot of games.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

After a quick google he’s an 18 year old forward but quite versatile apparently. He’s made 5 appearances for Besiktas, the rest have been U18 level. I mean, how do you even scout a player like that? How do you set him apart from, say, a young player in the championship?

He probably looks head and shoulders above his peers when playing for u18s and then held his own when called up to the senior team. 

Sign him up!

• Like 1