January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sorry to say but if i was a gambling man i think JPB probably would have scored more goals than zaniolo has if given as many minutes

Well in more than twice the amount of league minutes, in a much easier league, he's scored one more.

• Like 2

Some yappers are reporting in Spain Nico Williams will sign for Barca on a free.

I'd be surprised if he did.

Bilbao will be annoyed they didn't tell him to sign for us when we were waving £40m at them.

Edited by Tomaszk

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Some yappers are reporting in Spain Nico Williams will sign for Barca on a free.

I'd be surprised if he did.

Bilbao will be annoyed they didn't tell him to sign for us when we were waving £40m at them.

Safe enough barca had already tapped him up and told him not to sign any contracts.

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Safe enough barca had already tapped him up and told him not to sign any contracts.

This would not be surprising to me, and this is how I think the Julian Alvarez link went as well.

On 13/10/2023 at 14:35, lexicon said:

Well in more than twice the amount of league minutes, in a much easier league, he's scored one more.

Well i can turn the flip and say in a better team and under  better manager  he may have scored more

Its all ifs and buts of course butci thought JPB was looking a impressive player. I would have liked to have seen him give some opportunities 

This isn't  a criticism at emery btw od the club as its just unlucky whats happened with zanicolo 

Thankfully its a loan so can be terminated if gets a ban

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well i can turn the flip and say in a better team and under  better manager  he may have scored more

Its all ifs and buts of course butci thought JPB was looking a impressive player. I would have liked to have seen him give some opportunities 

This isn't  a criticism at emery btw od the club as its just unlucky whats happened with zanicolo 

Thankfully its a loan so can be terminated if gets a ban

Tbh, I don't really think it's worth comparing them too closely - it's a new league, system and manager for Zaniolo, for example. 

JPB has looked impressive for some time but didn't have the production (goals/assists) for us to give him more time than we were prepared to. I think it says a lot that we wanted to keep him around and the potential is definitely there, but let's face it, he has to smash the championship to be of the level required to be in contention for the first team here. He might well do this season, and I hope he does. 

• Like 3

I hope we can really do some good deals for us. And i dont mean value for money necessarily.  Sold 155 million of home grown talent over the last 2.5 seasons . Plus another 20 mill of normal sales.

I know net spend isnt ffp relevant but it is sitting at a net of £50 mill over this time which is incredibly low. £10 mill a window on average. 

It just shows how little we have to play with compared to those who we feel we can challenge against. Commercially we are so far behind the rest that its no wonder they are squeezing every last penny out of us .

I do hope though that by being obviously prudent these last few years we can splash out in January and get some reinforcements.  The likes of Emile Smith Rowe and Foyth and Bueno at Villareal would cost alot but not just fill in the gaps . Instead create a real fight for starting places. Especially with Zaniolo looking doomed

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I hope we can really do some good deals for us. And i dont mean value for money necessarily.  Sold 155 million of home grown talent over the last 2.5 seasons . Plus another 20 mill of normal sales.

I know net spend isnt ffp relevant but it is sitting at a net of £50 mill over this time which is incredibly low. £10 mill a window on average. 

It just shows how little we have to play with compared to those who we feel we can challenge against. Commercially we are so far behind the rest that its no wonder they are squeezing every last penny out of us .

I do hope though that by being obviously prudent these last few years we can splash out in January and get some reinforcements.  The likes of Emile Smith Rowe and Foyth and Bueno at Villareal would cost alot but not just fill in the gaps . Instead create a real fight for starting places. Especially with Zaniolo looking doomed

It does make sense for us to have saved some back for January. 

We play our core team close to the  limit, and if in January we look like we have the league position and cup runs ongoing to justify signing more we can do so then. Also get a view of the backups we haven't shifted to see if they can step up (they can't) and so can make a more concerted effort to rotate them out.

January seems to have a bad rep for signing players as its usually a sign of desperation, but planned ahead we might be able to get a couple of surprise additions over the line. 

I'm sure the FFP experts on the board indicated we had more wiggle room than we'd exercised.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2023 at 22:44, MWARLEY2 said:

In regards to expenditure. Your post neglects the amount we are now spending on wages. It also neglects all the debt we had accrued in the championship. It also neglects the 100 plus million we are about to spent on a new North stand and entertainment venue.

I think the club will continue to try and be prudent in the transfer market. For the simply reason that the players needed to take the squad to a higher level cost a lot. And require enticement like champions league football and 200k pw salaries and so on.

Get champions league football and immediately we can target the next level up of players. Expand the stadium and we can sustain our current wage bill better. Our club profile is increasing and with that sponsorship and kit deal become more lucrative. 

If you look at the signing we have made over the last 3 transfer windows, with the exception of a new contract for young, and Olsen, all our signings have been good enough for champions league teams. We will only sign players we believe are of that calibre.

In regards to Zaniolo, if what he is saying is to be believed, he won't be banned. Also the people at the club clearly believe he is a very high calibre of player, as they would never take the risk of signing a player with his injury history.

People criticising him are jumping the gun here. He is settling into to a new life in the toughest league in the world. He needs time. We can all see the talent. So we need to give him that time. I'm happy with his efforts so far, considering everything he has to adapt to.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

In regards to expenditure. Your post neglects the amount we are now spending on wages. It also neglects all the debt we had accrued in the championship. It also neglects the 100 plus million we are about to spent on a new North stand and entertainment venue.

I think the club will continue to try and be prudent in the transfer market. For the simply reason that the players needed to take the squad to a higher level cost a lot. And require enticement like champions league football and 200k pw salaries and so on.

Get champions league football and immediately we can target the next level up of players. Expand the stadium and we can sustain our current wage bill better. Our club profile is increasing and with that sponsorship and kit deal become more lucrative. 

If you look at the signing we have made over the last 3 transfer windows, with the exception of a new contract for young, and Olsen, all our signings have been good enough for champions league teams. We will only sign players we believe are of that calibre.

In regards to Zaniolo, if what he is saying is to be believed, he won't be banned. Also the people at the club clearly believe he is a very high calibre of player, as they would never take the risk of signing a player with his injury history.

People criticising him are jumping the gun here. He is settling into to a new life in the toughest league in the world. He needs time. We can all see the talent. So we need to give him that time. I'm happy with his efforts so far, considering everything he has to adapt to.

Does the ground improvement come off our FFP allowance? I get it's a cost they're fronting either way, but wasn't sure how it impacts our freedom in the transfer market. 

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Does the ground improvement come off our FFP allowance? I get it's a cost they're fronting either way, but wasn't sure how it impacts our freedom in the transfer market. 

Good point. I'm not sure. As if I remember rightly Villa Park is now owned by a holding company and not avfc. So probably not.