January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think I’m going to be able to take another one of your posts seriously ever again 😉 

Would say the same about anybody that rates Phillips 😉

Unai rates Donk since rejected bids for him while Gareth Southgate rates Phillips 😂

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fully fit Philips is a very good player. There’s a reason City shelled out 40m for him and he was the main man in a Bielsa side .But he’s pretty much guaranteed to always get injured. 

Hmm, he was good in his first season at Leeds, got an England callup, and has been downhill ever since, yet Southgate still calls him up. And as you say he can never stay fit for longer than 5 minutes. City usually make good signings, that was one of their worst. If you ask a City fan who their worst signing under Pep has been they'd probably all say him. 

Still cannot for the life of me understand how he gets picked in an England starting 11, other than the fact that there aren't too many other English holding midfielders around. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

Phillips is pretty good but definitely isn't the right fit for us IMO. Kamara and Luiz are first choice and that won't change - so we'd have another Tielemans situation, i.e. a highly-paid player frustrated on the sidelines. He also is a bit more limited than Kamara, both technically and in terms of mobility. Definite no from me given the finances involved too. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would anyone have Kalvin Phillips in as Bouba competetion / backup/ rotation?

For example Dendonker out, Philips in?

Maybe on stupid wages but just wondering people's thoughts.

He had his chance. He got his "dream move" and he probably still prefers sitting on their bench and counting his money, to playing football anywhere else. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John said:

He had his chance. He got his "dream move" and he probably still prefers sitting on their bench and counting his money, to playing football anywhere else. 

He probably knows deep down that in staying fit and being able to play regularly he’s finished and I’m sure lots of clubs who might want to sign a player of his undoubted quality know or think the same, is included. Good player but too injury prone and so the risk is too great unless money has no influence on your decisions. Hence he’s ding the right thing for him, staying where he can milk his retirement fund for as much and as long as he can. Newcastle are his only option, in this country, other than sitting tight on the City bench next to the genius that is Pep. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

He probably knows deep down that in staying fit and being able to play regularly he’s finished and I’m sure lots of clubs who might want to sign a player of his undoubted quality know or think the same, is included. Good player but too injury prone and so the risk is too great unless money has no influence on your decisions. Hence he’s ding the right thing for him, staying where he can milk his retirement fund for as much and as long as he can. Newcastle are his only option, in this country, other than sitting tight on the City bench next to the genius that is Pep. 

Yes, I could see them doing a shady deal together. I doubt Citeh would sell him cheaply to anyone else, or that anyone else would be prepared to match his current wages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

If there is any truth in the rumours about Neto, a strike force of him, Ramsey, Watkins and Diaby would bve very exciting.

I wouldn't be surprised if we try to sign a top quality passing midfielder as well

Leon Bailey is better than Pedro Neto. 

Neto has absolutely shocking end product. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1