January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Good point. I'm not sure. As if I remember rightly Villa Park is now owned by a holding company and not avfc. So probably not. 

Fair enough. With regards to whatever they can spend, and what they will spend...I don't think there's going to be much difference if Emery feels he needs it. 

They're not in a position to say no to him with how he's transformed us. But I also don't think Emery is a man to demand money unless he feels it is needed.

So I go back to my previous expectation that if we're in a very good place, still in the top 6, with a real chance of top 4, still in the conference league, AND Emery feels the side needs strengthening because of injuries or exhaustion... then I'm sure we'd spend whatever we can to satisfy him in January. 

I've no real idea how much that could be though.

Edited by MrBlack

Realistically now where do we improve?

Watkins, Diaby, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Konsa, Pau and Emi Martinez are all nailed in our team. 

You could also say Ramsey and Moreno are pretty much nailed once back.

That leaves RB. Cash is doing well this season! 

So for me we need to sign players with potential. To be potentially world class and replace our current crop on a a few years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Watkins, Diaby, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Konsa, Pau and Emi Martinez are all nailed in our team. 

So for me we need to sign players with potential. To be potentially world class and replace our current crop on a a few years. 

I agree, although I think if we lose Zani we could probably do with a new hybrid forward.

I'd hoped we could do without much alteration up top.

We could possibly do with some depth at dm, in case Kamara is out for any time. I know we have a couple, such as Dougie who can do a job there but as we've seen it can take away from his game if he's deployed there. I don’t rate Donk really, so I'd probably look to trade up.

For me, a promising understudy for Cashie is the main priority.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This year, it is startling to me -- though maybe it shouldn't be -- how players' attitudes seem to have such a giant impact on how clubs fare in the PL. 

Obviously, having a set of players all rowing in the same direction isn't by itself enough, not even close, but when you don't have that, jesus, things really go south fast.

It seems like many, many different types of players respond well to Emery. He's able to mould almost anything into something better. It's the talk of the media. 

But these seem to be players who want to grow, too. Emery came at an interesting moment in Villa's history. You had a lot of players who were adrift in Gerrardian chaos, and I know it sounds weird, but that was actually a good place to be for when Emery came in because they were all desperate to learn something better. That's down to their characters, too. We can really be proud of that group.They still suited up and showed up and went along with a new approach. A lot of lesser players would have "shut down."

When you're talking about potential, there's the latent talent, yes, for sure, but I think we also need to find people who desperately want to grow, too, and improve their game. I hope we keep looking for players who possess that special teachability as well as talent, who believe in Emery's vision for Villa and are self-confident but also receptive to and primed for change. A bit corny this, but you got me thinking ...

Agreed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Whatever positions we were weakest at against Newcastle and Liverpool 😝

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

It’s a fair argument but if we are truly trying to level up then imo only Martinez and Dougie aren’t upgradeable.  If a top level player becomes available and would be willing to come to Villa then we have many players that can be improved. IMO we are a top seven team and a stretch we can get a top five/four if everything went for us but at the extreme that means we can improve much more.  That is highly unlikely and your comments are more realistic but I wouldn’t claim so many are nailed on or where we can improve because I think if we are pushing for CL football there is more areas that we can improve.  That though depends on desire, money, availability and interest.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

It's not just about a starting XI, we need options to rotate and change our approach. 

Personally feel that RB is a priority for upgrade, Cash has had some really good games but he is defensively not great, especially he struggles to hold the line when we do the offside trap, he is also very limited technically. 

Zaniolo and Bailey are yet to prove themselves imo, so need more forward options

16 hours ago, Eligius said:

If we are to dip into the transfer window in January I hope we can get obtain somebody who is good enough to step into the first team, we have enough fringe players who when given a chance in cup games come up short.

I too would hope we could get someone who is first team ready, but doesn't the fact that the fringe players we have, have come up short when given opportunities in cup games, suggest we could also do with getting a couple in, that wouldn't?

On 17/10/2023 at 13:14, Pongo Waring said:

Every team can improve and we're no different. We have a very good team but there are definitely areas we can improve. For me we can improve the following areas:

• Right back: I like Cash a lot but I'm fairly certain we could sign someone better in that position if we were prepared to invest (e.g. I'd say an upgrade would be available for the 30-40m mark).
  • Left back: in the long term we need a new left back because Moreno and Digne will both be 31 next season. Would probably be a player in their early 20s who is already at a good level but can also improve.
  • Attacking midfielder: Ramsey will come straight back into the team on the left and we have Buendia to come back but for me we need a player like Maddison who can break down a low block. Buendia isn't quite good enough for this and McGinn is a different sort of player. We don't really have any advanced playmaker in our team at present which is why I think we struggle when teams sit back. I think we need to spend big on this position and bring in a genuine game changer like we did with Diaby. It might mean captain McGinn going to the bench and becoming a squad player but I think we need to do it.
  • Central midfielder: with Tielemans having disappointed so far and rumours he's unhappy (not sure if true or not) and Dendoncker not really good enough I think another central midfielder would be useful so we can give Kamara and Dougie more of a rest at times. 

The only positions right now we probably couldn't improve upon unless we were willing to spend stupid money (i.e. £100m+) is goalkeeper, central midfield (Kamara and Luiz) and striker (Watkins and Diaby). Central defence is debatable, we are fine there with Konsa and Torres and Carlos and Lenglet in reserve with Mings to come back but I think we could buy a top centre half for £60-70m if we wanted to who could improve that position. I don't think we would though. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would anyone have Kalvin Phillips in as Bouba competetion / backup/ rotation?

For example Dendonker out, Philips in?

Maybe on stupid wages but just wondering people's thoughts.

If not for the wages then yes. A loan where we pay some of the wages would make sense if he wants more football. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He looked like a walking red card for England. I assume down to rustiness as much as anything else (exactly why Southgate shouldn't have played him).

I dont think he's the player he was at Leeds, and I don't think he'd stay injury free long enough to be worthwhile. 

If (and its a huge if) he was available for cheap, I'd be interested,  but he'll be expensive to buy and demand an insane salary, so no from me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He wouldn't get in our first 11 like at City so not sure he'd want that, he's better than Dendoncker though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If not for the wages then yes. A loan where we pay some of the wages would make sense if he wants more football. 

He wouldn't get much more football here though. Kamara and Luiz would be way ahead of him and so he'd only play in Europe and the FA Cup. Probably more than at City but he'd only be a benchwarmer in the Premier League for us and get a few minutes here and there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Absolutely not. Guy was always a clogger and a donkey on the ball. Dendoncker is a much better player and would rather give Iroegbunam game time

I'd say he's better than Donk but I agree with your general point. 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Absolutely not. Guy was always a clogger and a donkey on the ball. Dendoncker is a much better player and would rather give Iroegbunam game time

I don’t think I’m going to be able to take another one of your posts seriously ever again 😉 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

He wouldn't get much more football here though. Kamara and Luiz would be way ahead of him and so he'd only play in Europe and the FA Cup. Probably more than at City but he'd only be a benchwarmer in the Premier League for us and get a few minutes here and there.

Fully fit Philips is a very good player. There’s a reason City shelled out 40m for him and he was the main man in a Bielsa side .But he’s pretty much guaranteed to always get injured.