Clément Lenglet

Tom13

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would rather not do any business with Barcelona and assist them financially

Lenglet himself looked poor at Spurs but suppose he will be 4th choice

Most players looked bad at spurs last season, especially the defenders. Emery has improved virtually every player here so I'm confident this guy will be good enough to cover for us in the event of injuries. Don't forget he was good enough to be signed by Barcelona so he can't be that bad. 

For those finding the old habit of assuming the worst just too hard to shake...

Worth remembering, it is both possible that he was shit at Spurs and is still a good player worth signing today. 

The first fact does not absolutely permanently preclude the second from being true.

T'was not that long ago our whole squad was shit under Stevie G and now look at them.

• Like 4

Lenglet and Torres you'll have the LCB creative role locked down. Leaves Konsa and Carlos for RCB and Konsa for RB option too. Chambers as utility cover.

If Torres got injured our attack would be neutered big time as we've nobody to progress the ball the way we need.

This makes sense and on loan which I like us using more than we do. 

• Like 2

This CB signing makes perfect sense and I really hope this goes thru.  Same CB profile as Pau.  This would give us 5 CBs- and we NEED 5 given how UE plays with 3 CBs every game.  You would have to think Chambers/Lenglet are battling for the 4/5 CB spot.  Both players are perfectly capable and good enough quality to play in lower cup matches and EUCL matches as well- so we can rotate our back line.

The loan makes great sense as well.  It was well discussed that Mings injury was significant and likely be longer than the 6-8 months recovery (like Buendia).  This means Mings is out the entire season- so we needed another CB this year for depth.  Now we have will have our back line sorted with squad depth.

Hopefully we can spend the final days of the window going after a wide attacker that can provide depth at the forward line as well.  Someone in the Ferran Torres mold.  UTV!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We’ll be covered in defence if this goes through.

Have more confidence in Lenglet playing how Emery wants us than if we were signing Maguire.

Agree, and I’m one of the people suggesting we consider Maguire! 

Lenglet would be very decent cover and arguably would be pushing for a starting place on day one…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Deleted the tweet whoever this bloke is. 

I have no idea about this rumoured target but trust Unai to know what it is needed versus people on Twitter 

That’s easy to say but most of the people on Twitter are geniuses. Surely you realise that Steve? In their own lunchtime anyway!

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Deleted the tweet whoever this bloke is. 

I have no idea about this rumoured target but trust Unai to know what it is needed versus people on Twitter 

Oh it was just some highlights of Lenglet, but @Jas10posted the same video in this thread now

My biggest problem is that he has a shite name.

Sounds like some kind of item on a menu at a fancy restaurant.

Aside from that know nothing about him.

However, must have SOME sort of pedigree for Barca to have signed him?

Or did they sign him when they were hoovering up free players? 🤔

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My biggest problem is that he has a shite name.

Sounds like some kind of item on a menu at a fancy restaurant.

Aside from that know nothing about him.

However, must have SOME sort of pedigree for Barca to have signed him?

Or did they sign him when they were hoovering up free players? 🤔

Signed him for big money from Sevilla, it was Monchi who signed him for Sevilla for £5m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Worth remembering, it is both possible that he was shit at Spurs and is still a good player worth signing today.

Emery has turned more than one shit Spurs player into really good players elsewhere before now!

• Thanks 2

I don't think he's bad, I just don't think he's particularly exciting or future-thinking or anything. 

If we're paying a loan fee plus wages for a guy that would not get into most fans starting XI, then essentially he's a very expensive safety blanket in case of injuries or suspension. If we've won our first 4 group games and he gets 90 minutes ahead of an academy prospect is that good? I'd be happy rotating Mings and Torres but frankly I'd rather Torres played a lot more minutes now and if he's in any danger of getting knackered by January re-assess. 

This is basically just an upgraded version of what we did last year with Bednarek, and that ended with him being sent back to Southampton early. We'll play more games but only 6/7 more than last September to January and we currently have Torres, Carlos and Hause that we didn't have at the time. 

Â