Clément Lenglet

Tom13

Not seen a huge amount of Longlet but if his strengths are with the ball then I’d like to believe Emery knows what to do with him. Spurs last year had Conte with his typical Italian defensive style and then the clueless Mason as managers so not really set up for possession football, so if that’s what Lenglet is about then no wonder he apparently looked crap. As a loan deal it seems low risk, and ultimately we probably do need back up in that position and he does fit the bill 

16 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I don't think he's bad, I just don't think he's particularly exciting or future-thinking or anything. 

If we're paying a loan fee plus wages for a guy that would not get into most fans starting XI, then essentially he's a very expensive safety blanket in case of injuries or suspension. If we've won our first 4 group games and he gets 90 minutes ahead of an academy prospect is that good? I'd be happy rotating Mings and Torres but frankly I'd rather Torres played a lot more minutes now and if he's in any danger of getting knackered by January re-assess. 

This is basically just an upgraded version of what we did last year with Bednarek, and that ended with him being sent back to Southampton early. We'll play more games but only 6/7 more than last September to January and we currently have Torres, Carlos and Hause that we didn't have at the time. 

I mean tbh I do not expect us to put out strong by our standards teams in the group stages. I mean our backup XIs are what?

Olsen

Cash/Konsa - Chambers - *Lenglet* - Digne

Dendoncker - Tielemans

Bailey/Traore - Zaniolo - New Signing/Coutinho

Duran

That's a first XI that probably stays up in the prem. Which is more than enough vs a bunch of these teams. Unless we play fiorentina, frankfurt, Bilbao, Lille or Fenerbache that team should be more than enough to win.

Obviously I expect Martinez to play some of the games but otherwise we could probably play 4/6 of our group stage games with that lineup and be very Comfortable. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Apologies for the daft question but would he be available for ECL games or is he cup tied? Just not sure of the rules or if he’s even played any games for Barcelona this season.

Zaniolo was only cuptied for the playoff games because he played for Galatasaray in the Champions League Qualifiers, barca qualified outright so he couldn't be. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I don't think he's bad, I just don't think he's particularly exciting or future-thinking or anything. 

If we're paying a loan fee plus wages for a guy that would not get into most fans starting XI, then essentially he's a very expensive safety blanket in case of injuries or suspension. If we've won our first 4 group games and he gets 90 minutes ahead of an academy prospect is that good? I'd be happy rotating Mings and Torres but frankly I'd rather Torres played a lot more minutes now and if he's in any danger of getting knackered by January re-assess. 

This is basically just an upgraded version of what we did last year with Bednarek, and that ended with him being sent back to Southampton early. We'll play more games but only 6/7 more than last September to January and we currently have Torres, Carlos and Hause that we didn't have at the time. 

He's not future thinking though is he?

He's cover for an injury

Feeney, kerr and swinkels are future thinking and they're all too young, might mean we can loan them out

55 minutes ago, skarroki said:

If we're paying a loan fee plus wages for a guy that would not get into most fans starting XI,

This is the type of thinking that makes my head spin.

When it comes to football “most fans” don’t know.

I include myself in this generalisation 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My biggest problem is that he has a shite name.

Sounds like some kind of item on a menu at a fancy restaurant.

Aside from that know nothing about him.

However, must have SOME sort of pedigree for Barca to have signed him?

Or did they sign him when they were hoovering up free players? 🤔

Louie Barry nods his head.😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Apologies for the daft question but would he be available for ECL games or is he cup tied? Just not sure of the rules or if he’s even played any games for Barcelona this season.

nobody can be cup tied for Europe as the registration for group stages is after the window shuts

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Wonder if Barca would give him a payoff from whatever we pay them, and we then offer him a pay packet within our structure?

In a sense, we could also view this as a Kourtney Hause replacement.

Ether way, the quality in the options will be increasing i guess..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Frankly, I have such faith in Unai that he could sign Carlton Palmer and I'd trust in his judgement. 

That's just brilliant :clap:. He's getting on a bit now, but nevertheless I agree with you 110%.:D

Carlton Palmer makes frank Sheffield Wednesday 'failure' claim amid crucial  promotion run-in - YorkshireLive

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wonder if Barca would give him a payoff from whatever we pay them, and we then offer him a pay packet within our structure?

In a sense, we could also view this as a Kourtney Hause replacement.

Ether way, the quality in the options will be increasing i guess..

It's crazy isn't it.

Only a few seasons ago we had the likes of Hause and Engels in the squad, and now we're talking about signing a France international CB from Barcelona as a replacement for Hause in the squad.

• Like 3

It's not a particularly exciting signing and Spurs hardly seemed desperate to bring him back, but he does give us a bit more depth in defence which we probably need. 

I'm not sure about him defensively at all, just look at the number of goals Spurs conceded last season and Lenglet started quite a lot of games for them (although he was playing alongside Eric Dier of course), but he is very good on the ball as are most defenders that Barca buy. He'd be able to come in and play in Emery's system easily. He's not playing over Torres in the league though so he will have to accept being a squad player and playing in the cups, I assume he's ok with that. 

I'm ok with him coming in to replace Hause in the squad who I hope we have found a home for elsewhere. Carlos, Konsa, Torres, Lenglet are decent centre back options, and then Chambers, Kamara and Dendoncker can all play there in emergencies. 

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It's crazy isn't it.

Only a few seasons ago we had the likes of Hause and Engels in the squad, and now we're talking about signing a France international CB from Barcelona as a replacement for Hause in the squad.

He hasn't played for France in about 2 years but I get your general point ;) 

• Haha 2

Â