Clément Lenglet

Tom13

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Look at Bissouma was brilliant at Brighton under proper coaching and system, joins the madhouse at Spurs and under performs. 

Also system football means you need to know what profile the player has and what role they are to play in your system. Mings and Pau are both left footed CBs but are really different profile of player. 

And look at Bissouma this season, under some comparative stability. He's been one of their best players so far.

• Like 3

It’s easy to bang on about the immediate need to address out attacking options but an injury to Pau or Carlos or indeed fatigue from lack of rotation nullifies our attacking threat. We build from the back sometimes we transition quickly with balls from our central defenders it’s easy to underestimate how important these ball playing central defenders are to an Unai Emery team.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s easy to bang on about the immediate need to address out attacking options but an injury to Pau or Carlos or indeed fatigue from lack of rotation nullifies our attacking threat. We build from the back sometimes we transition quickly with balls from our central defenders it’s easy to underestimate how important these ball playing central defenders are to an Unai Emery team.

This is undoubtedly true but the rub is signing a player that expects to go straight in first team as opposed to being back up/rotation. It's less surprising they do this for likes of City or Manure etc on +100k more a week in wages than our highest earner 

Edited by Kiwivillan

A touch disappointed in this one tbh, but hey ho, a body is better than nobody should we get another injury. An expensive wages one though you'd think but suppose I'd rather see Lenglet on than Hause or Chambers at CB should we need it

Edited by HalfTimePost

8 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

A touch disappointed in this one tbh, but hey ho, a body is better than nobody should we get another injury. An expensive wages one though you'd think but suppose I'd rather see Lenglet on than Hause or Chambers at CB should we need it

I don't know what you are expecting for a 4th choice CB. He averaged 25 games a season at Barca and has 15 caps for France. Can't be too bad! 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't know what you are expecting for a 4th choice CB. He averaged 25 games a season at Barca and has 15 caps for France. Can't be too bad! 

Yeah like I said I'd rather him than what we have, I'd have liked to have seen us go younger, cheaper and high potential.

But experience and hopefully on loan it's difficult to argue

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Difference is he's not coming in to start every week here unless we get further injuries. At Spurs he was.

I imagine he'll probably rotate with Pau in the europa games.

I would not want to use a player in any competition if his ability is so poor. He’d quite quickly become a liability!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Why the disappointment? I think it's a smart move personally and a good bit of business that makes sense too.

Chambers is not enough in that area to provide cover and this is a loan move to cover the gap that has been left by Mings.

If an injury to Cash or Konsa happens then we are short for backup options in RB and CB areas as Hause isn't an option.

Besides, The club have been looking at bringing in a CB on loan for a couple of weeks or so anyway and it's no suprise to see it now happen.

We don't know what his wages are, but I'm confident that we've got that area covered without too many worries of it being ridiculous and causing us too many problems.

Welcome to Lenglet and it's onto the next one... 

• Like 2

I have zero recollection of him playing for spurs. So he can't have made that much of a bad impression on me. He wasn't playing for their 6-1 defeat by Newcastle.

Checking fbref, he seems to be a very creative centre back, with far more than average progressive passing stats, and thats based on stats from his "terrible time" at spurs.

Seemingly only good at tackling and below average for all the other types of defensive actions (although given how we play id expect him to spend less time defending than he does with the ball passing it around so his stats probably align well for how we'll play. 

Exactly what Emery would likely want from a backup to Torres based on a very quick online half arsed scout.

Â