Clément Lenglet

Tom13

The corner they got their penalty from never should have been allowed to be a corner, Lenglet should have dealt with that. Especially considering how poor we are at defending set pieces.

I want to be nice and will praise his great ball to Bailey which led up to the 2-2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's nice on the ball but it's another defender we have who can't really defend. I don't want us to sign him permanently.

Other than Mings, who has just had what could be a career threatening injury and we've no idea how he will be next season, our central defenders are more good ball players than being any good at the basics of defending. Of course this is vital for our build up play and we need these types of players, but we also need someone back there who is skilled in the art of defending.

We need to address this in summer by signing at least one defender who can defend. Once again I wouldn't sign Lenglet because if we do we will continue to ship silly goals next season when we're forced to play him. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Don’t know what the **** he was doing leading up to their penalty. 

I was right in that corner. He clearly has the last touch. He must have known. And he just casually let it roll out for a corner. Then they get a penalty from it. 

Nuts

That drove me mad. You've got to be smarter than that. Whether it came off their player or not be intelligent enough to realise that it likely wont be spotted and try and clear it. Didn't realise until now he was also the reason our first goal was disallowed for shoving one of their players in the build up. 

Edited by turvontour

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

That drove me mad. You've got to be smarter than that. Whether it came off their player or not be intelligent enough to realise that it likely wont be spotted and try and clear it. Didn't realise until now he was also the reason our first goal was disallowed for shoving one of their players in the build up. 

It very obviously didn’t come off their player either

Agreed re: the corner, granted I've only seen it once live but I had no idea what he was playing at. He's gotten to the ball first relatively comfortably, he can either play it back to Olsen or if he wants to be uber-safe just knock it out for a throw-in, but he instead shepherds it out for a corner and hopes he can appeal his way into it being a goal kick. The fact we can't defend corners and  Luiz was daft enough to sticks his elbow in the air are problems in themselves but Lenglet definitely didn't help matters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5-1 said:

There's never much he does wrong but at the same time i feel we lose every time he plays 

He’s too lightweight for me at times. I do like his passing though. 

• Like 1

Clement did nothing wrong in the build up for the disallowed goal. It was a 50/50 shirt and the defender threw himself to the ground. It was a crap call by the ref. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Leeroy said:

He's nice on the ball but it's another defender we have who can't really defend. I don't want us to sign him permanently.

Other than Mings, who has just had what could be a career threatening injury and we've no idea how he will be next season, our central defenders are more good ball players than being any good at the basics of defending. Of course this is vital for our build up play and we need these types of players, but we also need someone back there who is skilled in the art of defending.

We need to address this in summer by signing at least one defender who can defend. Once again I wouldn't sign Lenglet because if we do we will continue to ship silly goals next season when we're forced to play him. 

A ground breaking move....Imagine that, a defender, who can defend.😃

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Clement did nothing wrong in the build up for the disallowed goal. It was a 50/50 shirt and the defender threw himself to the ground. It was a crap call by the ref. 

That's a risk, you always run.

A shirt pull is not ambiguous, like some illegals. and who is to say how hard or soft it is?....it's so easy to spot.

He was an idiot.

It's like driving in a bus lane......its an innocuous, misdemeanor, but.............................Gotcha.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

He’s too lightweight for me at times. I do like his passing though. 

I do like Centre backs passing out from the back......but when an Hairy arsed no 9 is pounding the turf, hell bent on bursting the net......A little thought comes over me, like...."I wish you had that little bit more"

For me defender first, ball player, second.

When I look at the top 3 and their defenders, can do both, is where I am.....We are not there yet, but that's the aim.

• Like 1

He was meant to be this years Bednarek. Cover. Our injury/ fitness crisis has resulted in him playing more than he should have.

At the start of the season our dilemma was Mings/Konsa/ Pau. Very quickly our dilemma became making do with Lenglet, Carlos and on a rare occasion Chambers.

• 3 weeks later...

4 against Olympiakos.

4 against City.

2 against Luton.

2 today.

4 against Tottenham.

2 against Forest 

3 against Newcastle.

2 against Burnley.

3 against United.

This guy starts. You're conceding goals for fun. Never seen a central defender just not defend as much as this guy. Off the ball, a literal ghost.

The Conor Hourihane of centre backs 

• Like 3

Â