Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

https://football-italia.net/zaniolo-deserve-more-aston-villa/amp/

Speaking on page two of today’s Corriere dello Sport, Zaniolo first underlined how he’d like to return to Serie A in the summer.

“I miss Italy a lot, my family, my friends, my son… Now, however, it’s up to the clubs to define my future, I belong to Galatasaray. In the meantime, I want to express my gratitude for Monchi, who has once again bet on about me after taking me to Roma when I was 19.”

He was asked about the idea of joining up with Milan, who were interested during his departure from Roma.

“Who knows… I asked my agent to only inform me if there is something really concrete. Certainly, due to what Roma represented for me and out of respect for the Laziofans, a transfer to the Biancocelesti would be unthinkable.”

“I deserve more chances at Aston Villa, but I can say that Emery is one of the strongest coaches, I put him on the same level as Guardiola, Klopp and Mourinho. He is improving me in every aspect.

The 24-year-old touched on the difficulties of life in the Premier League.

“It’s a fascinating and stimulating league, we always work hard and there’s a very high intensity on the pitch, the fans in the stadium have fun but they treat the players with discretion.

“I’m playing less than expected, but I believe that a period of adaptation in a new country is physiological.

“When I arrived, I didn’t even speak English, it was difficult to settle in also because many teammates are married, and I spent a lot of time alone.”

Finally, Zaniolo discussed why he left Galatasaray last summer.

“I gave everything, but even in that case I didn’t leave for a specific reason. It was my first experience abroad, the Turkish reality is difficult to understand for an Italian. Fortunately, however, I found many compatriots. Now we’ll see what happens in the summer.”

• Like 1

Italian footballers settling abroad has usually been the exception rather than the norm…

we’ll just have to wait and see, if he can continue to improve from this point (and Unai has praised him and hinted at more minutes… but also that it’s taken longer than expected for him to adapt etc.) there may still be an opportunity or agreement… does feel like the ball is in our court and it is the club’s decision whether or not to act on a permanent deal…

but my personal feeling and impression is that he wants and will get his move back to his homeland in the near future… and that is where he will thrive (plenty of time left in his career yet and he seems to be over his horrific injuries)…

I like him (and wanted him to do really well and stay) but I am trying to be realistic… he’s hasn’t really “pulled up any trees” but is still young and has potential… time is running out but if he is hitting form now then that’s promising and, at the very least, he can be a big help to us as the season winds down and we try to achieve something special…

• Like 2

I mean… he’s basically said he wants to return home…

I miss Italy a lot, my family, my friends, my son…”

That’s where he wants to be… and will likely end up. Whether that’s Milan, Juventus or… Fiorentina…

Its likely to happen at some point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I mean… he’s basically said he wants to return home…

I miss Italy a lot, my family, my friends, my son…”

That’s where he wants to be… and will likely end up. Whether that’s Milan, Juventus or… Fiorentina…

Its likely to happen at some point. 

I didn't know he had a child back in Italy. That changes everything

• Like 3

21 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I thought this. Wonder if we could keep loaning him until he becomes a free transfer.

Would probably cost us more over time from loan fees

Edited by Zatman

He will go back to Italy, sounds like we was just a move to get him out of Turkey and keep him away from the media scrum around the gambling problems,  once its settled down (next season) my guess he gets a permanent move to Italy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

He will go back to Italy, sounds like we was just a move to get him out of Turkey and keep him away from the media scrum around the gambling problems,  once its settled down (next season) my guess he gets a permanent move to Italy.

Plus wasn’t he only brought in as cover while Buendia was injured? Just like Lenglet was cover for Mings injury.  The buy option option for Zaniolo was just in case he smashed it out of the park and became the superstar he’s always thought he could be but through injuries and himself hasn’t lived up to but there was always a chance.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I know they're being paid bucket loads of money but working in a different country when you've a young son miles and miles away must be bloody difficult. He's a young man himself, will have a lot of downtime after training, and has had to face this gambling thing to boot. The comment about a lot of players being married and not being able to hang out and help him settle underscores how isolating it must be. Incredibly difficult for the man.

It must be electric having 40 odd thousand people behind you at the weekend. Then the come down when you're on your own again.

If he were to move to us permanently, I suppose his family would feel it worthwhile to come and join him here in the UK. Perhaps we'd see a very different player? 

V much respect him for coming out and saying these things. Go well, Nicolo.

He’s split up with the mother of his child so she won’t be leaving Italy for him. If he wants to see his kid he’ll need to move back there. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

If he were to move to us permanently, I suppose his family would feel it worthwhile to come and join him here in the UK. Perhaps we'd see a very different player? 

V much respect him for coming out and saying these things. Go well, Nicolo.

Yep, was considering this… if he makes a major impact now and we decided to keep him then bring his family over n help him settle…

but… the lifestyle is so different… would he/they be able to adapt and be happy?

Dunno, but as I said… Italians settling down abroad is the exception rather than the norm… seen many players desperate to return home (or just unwilling to leave Italy, even the top/best players despite plenty of interest) and struggle in foreign leagues… many that spring to mind e.g. Aquilani, Darmian, Zaza, Cutrone in more recent times… Taibi 🤦‍♂️, Maccarone, Montella and many more… homesickness… not just PL too. Balotelli… but has he ever settled anywhere? 😆

Foreign players coming from Italy too:

Veron (Argentine but played in Serie A for many years) struggled badly in PL but was a brilliant player, one of my faves at Parma and Lazio and a proper playmaker.

Shevchenko coming from Milan (what a striker he was) just completely lost form and maybe even ability..

Cuadrado.

Obviously there were players like Zola (wonderful player), Vialli (tail end of career), Di Canio, our very own Carbone, Di Matteo, Ravanelli… who managed it and did well but… not all that many overall… Pelle, Jorginho (struggled initially at Chelsea, also actually Brazilian but with Italian citizenship)… there’s Vicario and Udogie at Spurs who seem to be doing well.

it’s not just family… he said he misses Italy… again, a different lifestyle and environment to Brum or UK… a higher class of living in some respects too… especially for wealthy footballers…

it’s not just Italians, same goes for other nationalities, but since we’re talking about Zaniolo… and it’s something that’s been quite noticeable to me having been a Serie A fanatic in the 90s…

even most English/British players don’t move abroad (most that have, have tended to struggle) and prefer to stay at home…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Plus wasn’t he only brought in as cover while Buendia was injured? Just like Lenglet was cover for Mings injury.  The buy option option for Zaniolo was just in case he smashed it out of the park and became the superstar he’s always thought he could be but through injuries and himself hasn’t lived up to but there was always a chance.

and in that context he's been perfectly fine

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and in that context he's been perfectly fine

I’m torn on him.  

I think there is a real player in there but his stats have been pretty poor.  So many times he looks like he’s going to do something and so close and then doesn’t.  

I really loved angry Zaniolo that came against Wolves and using that anger in a good way and was productive, I want more of that.  

My nephew loves him and really defends him and just thinks he needs more time somewhat like Bailey had.  

I think overall I won’t be disappointed if he stays or goes.

I think he's been mostly very crap for us.

But the last few games have shown a big improvement. If he can carry on that improvement and help us get over the line for Champions League football then it'll have been a good loan all round.

I doubt we'll be signing him, and it sounds like that might be best for all parties

Whether he signs permanently or not, he and Diaby have come into form at exactly the right time for us, at a stage where a few players from have dipped. You could say that Rogers's form is improving at the right time as well.

Think he'll end up being the reverse of Barkley, storming the last section of the season, couple of small injuries and patchy form at the start of the season. 

I'm in two minds, putting aside his comments and personal life and just treating him based on him being a footballer.

I don't think he's done enough to warrant a transfer at the moment, and if he does continue to improve up to the end of the season then he will still maybe not have done enough over the full season.

However, if he does continue to improve then there will be signs that he's going the right way and worth whatever price Monchi can negotiate. Then it becomes a case of seeing if there's any room for him once Buendia is back. 

Surely any option to buy was on the basis we would be willing to trigger the clause and he was willing to stay in the UK longer than 12 months. If he initially had no intention of staying longer than the loan period and then go back to Italy surely his agent and Gala would not have agreed to have the clause put in the contract? 

He's more than likely going to return to Italy but I don't think from Zaniolo's point of view that would have been the case when he agreed to come here. He must of had intentions of being here long term initially to have agreed the loan under the conditions Gala set out with us possibly purchasing him at the end of the season. 

As for his kid, from what I gather he's estranged from the Mother so access to his child may be also be an issue, or less frequent than having normal access. It's also only a couple of hours to Italy so being away from his child might not be a sticking point in him staying if he does have regular access. Plus his child is 3 years old now so it didn't stop him going to Turkey and then coming to the UK. Obviously things change though. 

I think we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully he finishes the season well, helps us get into the CL and an agreement concludes that's best for all parties and everyone is happy.  

53 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Emery gave him a lot of praise in the press conference. I think he will get a start in 1 of the next 3 games.

I wouldn't be shocked to se him and Digne start tomorrow on the left after Wolves on Saturday. Both very disciplined and gave us more strength down the left side. 

Unai was very complimentary of him.... I think if he has a good run in with us and we get CL, he'll stay. I'd like that outcome. 

• Like 2

Â