Missing Submersible

chrisp65

It’s must be really shit/low tech. There was some bloke on the TV yesterday who had done it previously saying they arrived at the sea bed and didn’t know where they were as it was so dark. They just plundered around aimlessly for a while until the stumbled across the massive shipwreck. He was saying how rocky it is with lots of caves and things you could stuck on/under.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Girl who works for me has questioned why they haven't just used a really strong magnet to bring them up.

She was serious

I mean... She's absolutely **** right. 

I lost a pin once in a bowl of frosties and used a magnet to find it quickly and safely

- Jeremy Spaswhistle, 59, Rotherham 

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Girl who works for me has questioned why they haven't just used a really strong magnet to bring them up.

She was serious

Get these guys in

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 3

I suppose that some of the very rich are constantly looking for that buzz, and doing stuff like visiting the Titanic at 4km deep or spending a few minutes in the weightlessness of space will fulfill that.

The fact is that they may think they are invincible (arrogant?), and not aware of the high risks involved because they are so rich or willing to ignore the risks because it will never happen to them.....only bad things happen to "poor" people.....

• Confused 1

Yeah I find the assumption that this because they’re rich a bit strange. There’s plenty of people who aren’t billionaires who do deeply dangerous things because they enjoy them which are just like this - eg climbing (particularly the insane people who do it without ropes), caving, deep sea diving (or free driving), skydiving, base jumping etc.

If someone dies on those sorts of things, the reaction is usually “that sucks, but they did kinda bring it in themselves” and that’s entirely fair.

What’s unusual here is that the people involved are potentially still alive and in the process of dying a horrible death. If we already knew the sub had failed during the descent I don’t think there’d be much fuss at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Musk hastily commissioning his own plan to "save" the day:

Stingray Gerry Anderson GIF - Stingray Gerry Anderson Puppets - Discover &  Share GIFs

lying in wait and allegedly behind the disappearance..........................

Titan's Aquaphibians 7 (1988) - Engale Marketing - LastDodo

• Haha 2

It’s a bit worrying that so many people online (and a few at my workplace) have suggested that they should just break the hatch and try to swim to the surface lol. Even if they could open it they’d get crushed to death by the pressure of the water. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

It’s a bit worrying that so many people online (and a few at my workplace) have suggested that they should just break the hatch and try to swim to the surface lol. Even if they could open it they’d get crushed to death by the pressure of the water. 

Apparently the hatch can't be opened from inside. The reason for that is because apparently if you had a proper hatch that could in theory open then it would present a massive weakness in the structure of the submersible and would likely be a point of failure as it weakened over time.

Don't know if it's true but it sounds plausible.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Apparently the hatch can't be opened from inside. The reason for that is because apparently if you had a proper hatch that could in theory open then it would present a massive weakness in the structure of the submersible and would likely be a point of failure as it weakened over time.

Don't know if it's true but it sounds plausible.

That is 100% true.  There are 17 bolts on the outside that need to be unscrewed before you can exit the vehicle.  

This seems an odd choice as this is was the problem with Apollo 1 (Oxygen rich with no immediate escape route and they were bolted in for a test only so all you need is a spark)

The Wireless controller is also a worry,  why have wireless and what are all the backups to control ? (Extra controllers / batteries)

96 hours,  how do they know how it performs with 5 people in it.  (Never tested)

It is only tested to 3,000 meters,  not 4,000.

Apart from that,  looks great 🤔

7 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

That is 100% true.  There are 17 bolts on the outside that need to be unscrewed before you can exit the vehicle.  

This seems an odd choice as this is was the problem with Apollo 1 (Oxygen rich with no immediate escape route and they were bolted in for a test only so all you need is a spark)

The Wireless controller is also a worry,  why have wireless and what are all the backups to control ? (Extra controllers / batteries)

96 hours,  how do they know how it performs with 5 people in it.  (Never tested)

It is only tested to 3,000 meters,  not 4,000.

Apart from that,  looks great 🤔

What if they die because nobody packed the AA batteries?

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Â