Missing Submersible

chrisp65

Just now, sidcow said:

No one regulates it or inspects or approves it.

The owners say that's a block on innovation so they just build it and go with no oversight.

At the end of the day I doubt you can force someone to subject themselves to scrutiny in international waters. 

Maritime law, no? This could be regulated but for whatever reason it isn’t. Imagine there won’t be a huge amount of interest in doing this again for a while anyway, so maybe it’s self regulating

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Imagine there won’t be a huge amount of interest in doing this again for a while anyway, so maybe it’s self regulating

I've already setup a company that is going to do tours of the sunk titan submarine that was tragically downed during a routine trip 3.8 Km down to the titanic. Prices start at an unbelievable £1,299,999* . My amazon basket is already full to the brim of the parts I need and 18 billionaires have already joined the waiting list to be the first crew to descend down to the murky depths. It's the trip of a lifetime. 

*per person sharing a toilet/coffin.

Edited by villa89
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tinker said:

My guess is its trapped, probably  by the titanic.

I thought I read that communication was lost 1.45hrs into the decent, so at least one big failure occurred long before it reached the Titanic. 

Another thing I don’t understand, is why it took the mothership 8hrs to report the incident to the coastguard? As soon as communication was lost they should have suspected the worse. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

I thought I read that communication was lost 1.45hrs into the decent, so at least one big failure occurred long before it reached the Titanic. 

Another thing I don’t understand, is why it took the mothership 8hrs to report the incident to the coastguard? As soon as communication was lost they should have suspected the worse. 

Does the submersible even have a reliable way of communicating with the mothership? It’s notoriously hard to communicate underwater, so lots of UAVs are linked to the mothership by a cable so they can maintain communication. Obviously that’s not part of this design though, so not sure what they were using instead.

4 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

It’s a bit worrying that so many people online (and a few at my workplace) have suggested that they should just break the hatch and try to swim to the surface lol. Even if they could open it they’d get crushed to death by the pressure of the water. 

Where do you work, Arkham Asylum?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Does the submersible even have a reliable way of communicating with the mothership? It’s notoriously hard to communicate underwater, so lots of UAVs are linked to the mothership by a cable so they can maintain communication. Obviously that’s not part of this design though, so not sure what they were using instead.

I don’t know to be honest mate. Because every article I’ve read keeps mentioning the communication loss I presumed it was unexpected, a failure. 

Maybe I’m wrong and I’ve just misunderstood that? 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Ideally you’d have the option to open it from either outside or inside to cover off a variety of scenarios. Bit late for these guys now though unfortunately.

It’s not that they didn’t think of it. It is literally that it would not be possible to do it and still make a ship that can travel that far down. More than 4 times deeper than a military submarine. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

S-l960.jpg

Must have forgot this. 

Could also use it to smash their way out as well :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not that they didn’t think of it. It is literally that it would not be possible to do it and still make a ship that can travel that far down. More than 4 times deeper than a military submarine. 

I don’t see why a door bolted from the inside is any different to a door bolted from the outside? 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t see why a door bolted from the inside is any different to a door bolted from the outside? 

I think it’s because the pressure is on the outside so compressing the outside door shut even more. A door bolted from the inside you’d have the pressure forcing it inwards. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Think about which direction these incredible forces are pushing. Always towards the inside of the vessel. A door that bolts from the inside becomes a point of weakness. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think it’s because the pressure is on the outside so compressing the outside door shut even more. A door bolted from the inside you’d have the pressure forcing it inwards. 

Just now, LondonLax said:

Think about which direction these incredible forces are pushing. Always towards the inside of the vessel. A door that bolts from the inside becomes a point of weakness. 

The door could be exactly the same shape and design (so the external water pressure pushes it closed), just with bolts going inside. 

The hatch can be sealed from the inside, but open outward. 

Just now, Genie said:

The door could be exactly the same shape and design (so the external water pressure pushes it closed), just with bolts going inside. 

The hatch can be sealed from the inside, but open outward. 

Bolt holes going through the hull becomes more points of weakness. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Bolt holes going through the hull becomes more points of weakness. 

Not if you have enough clamp load. You could also bolt onto something else that isn’t the hull. 

Â