Missing Submersible

chrisp65

Or at least have a much smaller opening bolted from inside that could be used as an air hold. Surely just a small opening could be massively over engineered at not too much cost. 

Imagine surfacing and dying through not being able to breathe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Or at least have a much smaller opening bolted from inside that could be used as an air hold. Surely just a small opening could be massively over engineered at not too much cost. 

Imagine surfacing and dying through not being able to breathe. 

It’s just seems a really bizarre design choice to have it bolted from the outside with no way of getting out if you’re inside.

So much can go wrong with that. It would make the claustrophobia 100x worse too.

Actually the door is a good point. This mother **** is made of Fibre Glass.  I mean the same stuff my scouts were making canoes out of in the 70s. 

The sub SURELY has a load of flex at all points.  Even if the entry hatch has titanium both inside and outside the hatch to secure bolts surely the enormous pressures (these pressures really are unimaginable to us in terms of comparing to something you might be able to reference) would cause the fibreglass between the titanium plates to get crushed, or the bolt holes to wear. 

It would only take the smallest gap anywhere, less than a human hair to cause a catastrophic rupture under that pressure. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well clearly you guys have solved the engineering problems required to travel 4km underwater when the submarine engineers could not. Perhaps you’re in the wrong jobs? 😅

I am a chartered engineer :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The door probably held, so from an integrity point of view it/their engineers did their job. I am just suggesting they could have created something just as good, but with less potential failure modes.

Theres planes covering thousands of miles of the seas surface which suggests there’s a realistic possibility they could die because they can’t open the door themselves.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I am a chartered engineer :D 

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I'm a tester. I can point out what will go to shit. 

I’ve used all sorts of doors and I once nearly watched Das Boot.

• Haha 1

Looking forward to the office tomorrow so I can sit next to a group of middle aged admin staff, that happen to qualified maritime engineers and hold a licence in underwater exploration and rescue.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve used all sorts of doors and I once nearly watched Das Boot.

Come back when you have son, we don't do nearlys here at Way of the Sub. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, sne said:

Plot twist: This is all an elaborate promotion stunt for the upcoming Meg 2: The Trench movie.

Will Jason Statham have a fist fight with it again

Edited by Follyfoot

5 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Pretty sure I heard somewhere we know less about the bottom of the ocean than we do about space.... 

Well duh.. a telescope won't work in the darkness of the deep 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤😏

57 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Bolt holes going through the hull becomes more points of weakness. 

Yeah, this is the key thing imo. I just looked at a video of the door and the bolts don’t go through the hull, they run parallel to the direction of the hull (they go through frames outside the hull).

If the ends of the bolts were accessible from the inside, the bolts would need to be running through the hull itself. So you’d need to create a point of weakness for every bolt that isn’t necessary with external bolts.

Â