Pau Torres

Delphinho123

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

If it wasn’t for Pau, Emi would have been sent off for that tackle on Almiron.

Pau is slow to get back from the corner which is why Almiron is unmarked, and why Martinez decides to rush out.

You could blame Konsa and Kamara too for not spotting the problem and covering, but think blame all round there.

On second viewing, Martinez actually did the right thing there, as mad as it looked. Was let down by the players in front of him.

It’s such a shame that he can’t be eased in gently now. The same as Moreno back when he was thrown in early for his debut when Digne limped off after about 15 minutes. I doubt there’s another team with such bad luck with injuries. 

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

£35m is nothing nowadays 

Bullshit I'm afraid.

It's massive and would be our 2nd/3rd most expensive buy ever.

Just because Saudis are throwing £100m round at every player, doesn't make our budget nothing.

• Like 1

The high line is going to be suicide without Mings’ pace.

Emery may need to rethink it slightly. Torres is great on the ball clearly, but his job first and foremost is to make sure the opposition don’t score and a high line might expose his weaknesses.

Promising enough debut. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JPJCB said:

Presumably emery played a high line with villareal where Torres was his best defender? I’m surprised people are so sceptical it can work without mings given its emery’s system 

Played a high line along side a 37 year old Raul Albiol, then again the Primera division isn’t as quick as the premier league 

7 hours ago, jim said:

I’d hope a £35m defender adapts quicker than that. 

I wouldn't see it quite like that. I'd think of it more that you'd like to think a 23 times capped Spanish international, who has excelled in La Liga, and is approaching his prime, would be able to adapt quickly to the premier league. For what it is worth I think he will.

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The high line is going to be suicide without Mings’ pace.

Emery may need to rethink it slightly. Torres is great on the ball clearly, but his job first and foremost is to make sure the opposition don’t score and a high line might expose his weaknesses.

Promising enough debut. 

I’m pretty sure that was one of the few knocks against Pau at Villareal. That he struggled with the high line. Mings speed is crucial for it, Bardell has said as much too. It’ll be interesting to see if and how Emery adapts.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Bullshit I'm afraid.

It's massive and would be our 2nd/3rd most expensive buy ever.

Just because Saudis are throwing £100m round at every player, doesn't make our budget nothing.

Expecting a £35m signing from a foreign league who doesn‘t speak English and is coming off the bench to replace a seriously injured player … to immediately get up to speed. That’s delusional. It’s really not a big fee these days, the Champions League sides are buying squad players for this money. For the expectations being imposed on him, yes, £35m is nothing.

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’m pretty sure that was one of the few knocks against Pau at Villareal. That he struggled with the high line. Mings speed is crucial for it, Bardell has said as much too. It’ll be interesting to see if and how Emery adapts.

I have to say im not sure why we play such a high line given we have to get it right every time otherwise the opposition are in. It only takes one lapse and we get exposed but I thing regardless with the training ground work pau will be fine it’s clear he is quality it might just take him  few games to fully get up to speed which now will be sooner than maybe we all thought 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, punkiller1981 said:

I have to say im not sure why we play such a high line given we have to get it right every time otherwise the opposition are in. It only takes one lapse and we get exposed but I thing regardless with the training ground work pau will be fine it’s clear he is quality it might just take him  few games to fully get up to speed which now will be sooner than maybe we all thought 

It's a high stakes game but so far under Emery it's been a huge success.  You could say the same thing about playing out from the back.  I trust Unai to have a plan B if he decides without Mings we aren't suited to it any more.

• Like 1

The 2nd goal highlighted that good coaches realise that Villas insistance on playing a high line is a weakness.

Moreno, Cash and Carlos are quick enough to compensate for Paus perceived lack of pace. He brought the ball out well yesterday, and played yhe ball to the midfielders to do their job, they didn't.

Got a bit of Hansen about him

Remember when people on here were writing off Moreno after his debut, when he had to come on for an injured Digne and struggled at times against Leeds?

Some need to calm down...  I don't get the obsession with trying to call anyone shit who wasn't playing perfectly from the jump.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Remember when people on here were writing off Moreno after his debut, when he had to come on for an injured Digne and struggled at times against Leeds?

Some need to calm down...  I don't get the obsession with trying to call anyone shit who wasn't playing perfectly from the jump.

has anyone actually done this?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Expecting a £35m signing from a foreign league who doesn‘t speak English and is coming off the bench to replace a seriously injured player … to immediately get up to speed. That’s delusional. It’s really not a big fee these days, the Champions League sides are buying squad players for this money. For the expectations being imposed on him, yes, £35m is nothing.

We'll have to disagree.

If he's playing pooly after the international break we bought the wrong player and should have got someone more suited to the PL. 

We can't afford £35m players that don't largely improve us.

He didn't play particularly badly yesterday btw. Looked very good on the ball. We now need him to replace Mings as well though.

I expected him to become the #1 CB during the course of this season as Emery evolved this season with the new players, out of necessity this is accelerated now with Mings out. It’s a baptism of fire but might benefit us in 10 games time or so? He was bought to upgrade the team, add something Mings doesn’t have.

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I expected him to become the #1 CB during the course of this season as Emery evolved this season with the new players, out of necessity this is accelerated now with Mings out. It’s a baptism of fire but might benefit us in 10 games time or so? He was bought to upgrade the team, add something Mings doesn’t have.

We’ll lack all aerial threat offensively and defensively without mings. 

Â