Youri Tielemans

thejoker

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Yes, cos I've not got me.glasses on and all I can see is what looks like the arse end of a comet. No offence like

I don’t understand how people on here can be so unsophisticated. It’s not the 1970s. This is a far more refined sport. We would now say “a comet’s derrière”

• Haha 3

Starts for Belgium tonight for anyone that’s interested in watching this is on Viaplay 2 which I *think* is free to Amazon Prime customers (I’m not one so I can’t check)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Watching the game, he doesn’t lack energy and is putting himself about - including flying into a tackle a short while ago. He’s very tidy on the ball. I think under Emery’s instruction, he’ll be an excellent player in that double pivot. 

There is going to be serious competition for those two starting CM spots next year. 

Crazy how fans see games. I thought he was poor. He killed a few Belgium attacks with over hit passes which were fairly easy to make. Wouldn’t get in my starting 11 based on that.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Watching the game, he doesn’t lack energy and is putting himself about - including flying into a tackle a short while ago. He’s very tidy on the ball. I think under Emery’s instruction, he’ll be an excellent player in that double pivot. 

There is going to be serious competition for those two starting CM spots next year. 

tbh, Luiz got 6 goals and 6 assists last season, i can honestly see a midfield 2 of Kamara and Tielemans, with Luiz playing that left midfield role and cutting inside to a more advanced role (kind of like that weird wide left 8 role that Emery uses).

Who knows though.

21 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

A graph showing that he has played more minutes of senior football than any other 25 year old in the PL.

21 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Stats then

Another way of looking at it...he's played as many minutes as the average 30 year old PL player, by the age of 25

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WHY said:

Crazy how fans see games. I thought he was poor. He killed a few Belgium attacks with over hit passes which were fairly easy to make. Wouldn’t get in my starting 11 based on that.

So which is it then?

Stats should bear out the truth.

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think we will need to, and therefore Emery will, have tweaks to our formations next year. Otherwise teams will figure us out and we’ll be too predictable.

For example we might go more 4-3-3 with Tielemans as an 8 and Luiz and Kamara slightly more defensive minded.

7 minutes ago, Enda said:

I think we will need to, and therefore Emery will, have tweaks to our formations next year. Otherwise teams will figure us out and we’ll be too predictable.

For example we might go more 4-3-3 with Tielemans as an 8 and Luiz and Kamara slightly more defensive minded.

I think we will tend to play 4-3-3 and thet Kamara will play more as a 6 with Tielemans and Luiz as the deep playmakers looking to retain and progress the ball.  The beauty being that if Kamara goes forward then either of the other two can drop back and cover him.  When we play away against the top teams we might play more of a 4-4-2 by adding McGinn or Ramsey as the fourth midfielder but with more licence to attack.  However, Emery and his coaching team know what they are doing, our players seem to be listening to them and following instructions - so I expect our formation will be somewhat fluid depending on whether we have the ball or not, whether we are looking to retain possession, how much the opposition are pressing us (and where), etc. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, allani said:

I think we will tend to play 4-3-3 and thet Kamara will play more as a 6 with Tielemans and Luiz as the deep playmakers looking to retain and progress the ball.  The beauty being that if Kamara goes forward then either of the other two can drop back and cover him.  When we play away against the top teams we might play more of a 4-4-2 by adding McGinn or Ramsey as the fourth midfielder but with more licence to attack.  However, Emery and his coaching team know what they are doing, our players seem to be listening to them and following instructions - so I expect our formation will be somewhat fluid depending on whether we have the ball or not, whether we are looking to retain possession, how much the opposition are pressing us (and where), etc. 

I don't think we'll play 4 3 3 at all. We quote formations based on the defensive shape and we'll stick with our 4 4 2 block. Attacking formation is fluid. We build to a 3 box 3 and then a 3 2 5 to a 2 2 6 when Luiz gets into box. 

I don't see this changing tbh. I see how we create the 3 box 3 as something that we can adapt. Wide forward on right can be one of the front 2 or coming from RM. Same as box it can be from RM and LM or LM and a 10 dropping from front 2.

The Right back situation will be interesting too. I expect a CB to play there in many games

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I respect the caution over Tielemans, but I don't see it the same, as some.

He has played a lot of games for a reason, as did Gareth Barry, Ashley Young and James Milner.....because they are valueable team players and naturally used a lot.

I under stand the view, that YT has played a lot of games, but so did they.

I see moving forward with Villa, a conscious effort to rotate, and players health and fitness will be managed to benefit all concerned.....This will be a welcome stance for Tielemans, who has probably been used too much in the past...but understandably so.

I also see a rejuvenated Tielemans coming to us, he has been running his contract down with Leicester, for reasons that belong to him, and that must have had an effect on both parties, in such cases a void develops and accusations of not trying is inevitable.....Look at the latter days of Dwight Yorke and Benteke.....I think his motivation, will return.

I have no fears, that UE will get the best out of Tielemans and he will be a huge asset........I also am losing no sleep of where he players, because I think that will be varied, in what the team requires on the day.

I think there will be a concerted effort from this administration, not to play, players too much and to give them the much needed rest.

I think this has been an excellent and Savvy signing.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I don't think we'll play 4 3 3 at all. We quote formations based on the defensive shape and we'll stick with our 4 4 2 block. Attacking formation is fluid. We build to a 3 box 3 and then a 3 2 5 to a 2 2 6 when Luiz gets into box. 

I don't see this changing tbh. I see how we create the 3 box 3 as something that we can adapt. Wide forward on right can be one of the front 2 or coming from RM. Same as box it can be from RM and LM or LM and a 10 dropping from front 2.

The Right back situation will be interesting too. I expect a CB to play there in many games

I still think formations change according to the dynamics of the games......what we start with, is not necessarily what we end with.

Unai Emery's teams morph during a game, so the starting formation is all what it is...at the start.....He manages a game, through the ebb and flow, and creates overloads to suit the conditions.

They also shift from defensive mode in to attacking mode and vice versa in synch with the dynamics of the game.....its a moving feast, so a constant mutation is in play.

4 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I watched the game as well as I was interested in taking a closer look at Tielemans. I thought he would play as a holding midfielder, but was a bit surprised that he played to the right in a 3 man midfield, playing quite high up the pitch. I saw it as their tactics was to create space on the wings for their super fast wide forwards and instead of playing through the midfield try to play it directly from the back to the space on the wings. Allthough that was Tielemans main position in the build up play, he quite often drifted centrally and helped out and especially in the second half he quite often was in the holding midfielder role, at times he also was the one pressing high up the pitch.

I thought he would be more on the ball in the build up play, dictating play, but as said, I think it had to do with their tactics, not playing through the middle. I think this is why some regard him having a quiet game as he didn't have the ball in the build up as much as expected.

The main thing I take away from watching him though is how mobile and quick he is. Reading on here I expected to see someone who had lost his legs and was slow, a Tom Huddlestone type. It was nothing like that, I thought he looked quick, and was at times in the second half the one tracking back and helping out in defence despite playing in a more forward role. Now don't misunderstand me, he is probably not fast on longer distances and as a winger or full back he would perhaps be exposed, but operating in the middle of the pitch there is no problem what so ever as I see it. As said he looks quick in his first steps and in the first yards of running. He looked athletic and put himself about. As a comparison I dont think De Breune is very fast on long distances either, neither is Luiz and he is excellent.

Allthough he didn't have the ball that much you can see that he is really good on the ball, yes he misplaces a couple of through balls, but he also picked out some sublime passes that directly created good chances. The shot at the end also shows what he is capable of. Another thing that struck me was that he reads the game really good, he helps out and is in good positions defensively and in the build up play and often gives instructions, looks a really intelligent player.

A top top signing this.  

I did have some fears based on the many " reports " by some fans making it seem like he could barely move!

This is encouraging.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

On 17/06/2023 at 21:40, MaVilla said:

tbh, Luiz got 6 goals and 6 assists last season, i can honestly see a midfield 2 of Kamara and Tielemans, with Luiz playing that left midfield role and cutting inside to a more advanced role (kind of like that weird wide left 8 role that Emery uses).

Who knows though.

He did very well for us further up the pitch, would mean JJ, McGinn and Luiz competing for that spot and donk, tielemans, kamara, Luiz and McGinn competing to be part of the 2 in front of the defence. 

Â