Youri Tielemans

thejoker

Another response from the Leicester forum and a fair analysis on his playing ability 

He was always an outstanding player with enough significant flaws in his game to be at Leicester rather than one of the big 6 or a big club aboard. He’s an excellent, innovative & progressive passer of the ball and he has a thunderbastard long shot. Against that he is ridiculously slow for a Premier League footballer and really struggles with getting up and down the pitch. He’s very much a rhythm player and needs regular game time to maintain his game - he’s not a player that excels in a rotation or off the bench. Over the last 18 months there’s been some serious questions about his application and effort. At times he’s looked like he’s dialled it in and it’s been quite clear that whilst he loves living in the county, he didn’t want to play for the club anymore even after Rodgers had left. Obviously the influence of pocketing the signing on fee was a key factor and he would’ve probably moved ‘sideways’ to Villa if we had stayed up. His poor last season effectively ruled out any chance of a move to a traditional big 6 and also was a factor in our relegation. As such Youri, despite his legendary FA Cup goal, hasn’t left on the greatest terms with a lot of the fans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Another response from the Leicester forum and a fair analysis on his playing ability 

He was always an outstanding player with enough significant flaws in his game to be at Leicester rather than one of the big 6 or a big club aboard. He’s an excellent, innovative & progressive passer of the ball and he has a thunderbastard long shot. Against that he is ridiculously slow for a Premier League footballer and really struggles with getting up and down the pitch. He’s very much a rhythm player and needs regular game time to maintain his game - he’s not a player that excels in a rotation or off the bench. Over the last 18 months there’s been some serious questions about his application and effort. At times he’s looked like he’s dialled it in and it’s been quite clear that whilst he loves living in the county, he didn’t want to play for the club anymore even after Rodgers had left. Obviously the influence of pocketing the signing on fee was a key factor and he would’ve probably moved ‘sideways’ to Villa if we had stayed up. His poor last season effectively ruled out any chance of a move to a traditional big 6 and also was a factor in our relegation. As such Youri, despite his legendary FA Cup goal, hasn’t left on the greatest terms with a lot of the fans. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7usekp65j363nmy23up

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KMitch said:

Because I actually watched a lot of Leicester last season...  He was horrific.  Wasn't just a good player in a bad side (ala Idrissa Gana Gaye during his time at Villa) he didn't put forth any effort and didn't look fit most of the time.  Same story at Monaco as well, looked great upon arriving, then all their fans were happy to be rid of him.  

Anyway, doesn't matter what I think because obviously Emery rates him and has a plan for him going forward, and I have nothing but unwavering faith in Don Emery.  

Fine, let's have 2 years of a brilliant player then move him on for a fee in 2 years giving us a massive FFP boost. 

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

So salty that he says it’s a side ways moved if they had survived.

You didn’t survive, you’ll always be a small club that punches above it’s weight every 3 decades or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, babyblue said:

He has had poor seasons even in a more attacking position. But his and our best football was played with him and Maddison as 8’s with Ndidi holding. Later on when Rodgers shit the bed, it was more Maddison as a 10 and Ndidi and Tielemans behind. 

Poor in what sense? I've not watched any of him expect when against Villa so hard to judge for me on anything other than the data and how it compares to our current midfield. We are being told by Leicester fans who have watched him he's been poor recently. To me from the numbers it looks more like a deeper role leading to less attacking impact. But even still he's still hitting pretty decent numbers in terms of ball progression and chance creation, and looks reasonable defensively too.

Sure, the numbers say he's never hit the heights of that first six months with you. But then the numbers he put up then were exceptional. He's dropped off to a level that is still pretty good from what I can see.

I'd guess we are likely to see him predominantly in the McGinn role under Emery, which for the most part has been the advanced right side of a box midfield 4. So more license to drift into the attacking 3rd and penalty box (mostly in the inside right channel)and attempt to create chances or take chances with low risk of being caught out with Kamara and Luiz deeper in the midfield.

He could also end up in the deeper Luiz role, though he's unlikely to be ahead of Luiz so that would probably mean Luiz taking the more advanced position, or it being cover in case Luiz was ever out.

53 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

To be fair, how fast are Luiz and Kamara? They’re not the quickest, albeit they’re athletic. In the position he’s likely to play, you don’t have to be that quick. 

Gareth Barry was the slowest player I’ve ever seen live and he’s also probably one of the best. Pace isn’t everything as long as Tielemans is tidy on the ball and breaking the lines with his passing. 

As I’ve said, I’m still not as excited as a lot of other people are about this signing and it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Going OT here but Barry plays a bit of vets football for my old team in kiddy

Talking to the guys when I go back they say its mad how quick he is 😂 both speed of thought and ability to get the ball out of his feet and move it, no one can get near him

Maybe a small indication of what the top level is all about

I’ve played against players who play in the MLS and I can’t tell you how good they are. It’s staggering how good PL players actually must be (even though we’re all calling players s**t every week). Like, if you played against someone like Nakamba, you’d be surprised just how unbelievably good he’d be. You wouldn’t get near him. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

So salty that he says it’s a side ways moved if they had survived.

You didn’t survive, you’ll always be a small club that punches above it’s weight every 3 decades or so.

True it’s like suggesting Mcallister moving from Brighton to Liverpool is a sideways move just because they play in the same European competition next season. Other fans fail to realise that we have one of the best academies in Europe , a global brand in V Sports and unlike Leicester, Southampton and Brighton we don’t bend over backwards when the scum 6 come knocking to buy one of our players.

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

To be fair, how fast are Luiz and Kamara? They’re not the quickest, albeit they’re athletic. In the position he’s likely to play, you don’t have to be that quick. 

Gareth Barry was the slowest player I’ve ever seen live and he’s also probably one of the best. Pace isn’t everything as long as Tielemans is tidy on the ball and breaking the lines with his passing. 

As I’ve said, I’m still not as excited as a lot of other people are about this signing and it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out!

Yes that’s what I thought Luiz when exposed under Smith and Gerrard was accused of being slow and weak. Going forward we need players comfortable on the ball to play our possession based football Tielemans is one of those .

23 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

I'm swimming against the current with the bitterness on here against Youri. But imo Villa have fluked getting a potentially top class player who's way beyond their level. This is what Villa always do.

Also known as getting players we are perfectly able to do at our level. 😂😂

And also Buendia is our record signing, hardly picking over a carcas is it! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, marklcfc said:

Tielemans can't run, his legs have gone. You have to see it to believe it.

Goddamit. 

If only we had a massively expensive scouting network and top analytics people who would be able to spot this shit before we signed him. 

Time we got into the modern football world. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sne said:

Looked like a lot of your players had downed tools during the second half of this season and even before that.

This is it really. As we know all too well, when for whatever reason a club becomes a basket case and is in a terminal spiral, it often looks like player X or player Y has downed tools, but the reality is the whole squad is not at it, one player u less they are genuinely world class in the top 2% can drag a whole team up by it's boot straps week in week out. 

There were times Grealish got a fair amount of stick on here for not performing, and was accused of being washed up / too much partying. 

Leicester got relegated for 99 problems but Tielemans downing tools on the pitch ain't one. 

Edited by sidcow

Â