Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Newcastle are doing well now because all their players are fresh. Ours are knackered as well as all the injuries.  They can spin things as much as they like but 6th place plus getting knocked out pf the group stages of champions league is regression from last season.  Season over 38 games not the last 10 or so. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

@calcifer 🤦🏾‍♂️ 😂

It's just funny 🤣 fully fit Aston Villa 🤣🤣 must have got his info the same place the Manure fan did 😂

8 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Here's hoping for a Burnley win tomorrow to put all of this to bed.....

Nah people will find something else to moan about

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

@calcifer 🤦🏾‍♂️ 😂

That is rubbish about Villa having no injuries but Newcastle have definitely had terrible injuries.

Even now they are playing a back 5 of their backup goalkeeper, Krafth, Burn, Hall and Livramento. If we were putting out a defence like that everyone would be using it as an excuse if we were conceding tons of goals because it is a **** defence. And yet they are playing really well and thrashing teams like Spurs so are not letting injuries derail their end to the season.

They are faring better in midfield and up front but still playing players like Murphy and Longstaff because Almiron and Tonali are missing. 

Edited by Leeroy

Burnley are in better form than Spurs, have been better away from home, and need a win to avoid relegation

But as out of form as Spurs have been, they've had some tough games in that time, they're probably due a win, and they will see today as a better chance than most to get it, and it will also be one last chance for them to put some pressure on us

So I think Spurs win more likely than not, would be nice if Burnley could cause an upset though

29 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

That is rubbish about Villa having no injuries but Newcastle have definitely had terrible injuries.

Even now they are playing a back 5 of their backup goalkeeper, Krafth, Burn, Hall and Livramento. If we were putting out a defence like that everyone would be using it as an excuse if we were conceding tons of goals because it is a **** defence. And yet they are playing really well and thrashing teams like Spurs so are not letting injuries derail their end to the season.

They are faring better in midfield and up front but still playing players like Murphy and Longstaff because Almiron and Tonali are missing. 

I agree, but....

Burn cost them about £15m
Hall £30m
Livramento £30m
Krafth £5m

So that's about £80m of players across the back 4.
When we play Digne, Cash, Torres and Konsa - that's about the same cost to us.

Injuries have been awful for them, but they have about the same money on the pitch as our first choice backline. 
Perhaps they need to buy more wisely (and see how I never mentioned Targett?).

Posted (edited)

What I like is that this is a must win game for Burnley.

Imagine if Burnley win! 

I always fondly remember the Big Ron, Little, Gregory and O’neil era’s, it’s mad to think we are experiencing another era like that and right at the start of it. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah im  sure they didn't bet on Tonali being out most of season 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Yeah im  sure they didn't bet on Tonali being out most of season 

Unless they subscribed to his tips page 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I agree, but....

Burn cost them about £15m
Hall £30m
Livramento £30m
Krafth £5m

So that's about £80m of players across the back 4.
When we play Digne, Cash, Torres and Konsa - that's about the same cost to us.

Injuries have been awful for them, but they have about the same money on the pitch as our first choice backline. 
Perhaps they need to buy more wisely (and see how I never mentioned Targett?).

In cost terms that is a fair point, but we can't judge just on price. Newcastle first choice backline (Trippier-Schar-Botman-Burn) cost £60m which is less than their backup backline. I suppose that could suggest a strong squad, but if we were playing Krafth and Burn as our centre backs we would be bricking it. I think Livramento is fantastic but Hall is a bit of a weird one, £30m looks a lot for someone who has only played about 30 games in his entire career but I guess Newcastle were paying for potential. Even Livramento was a strange deal given how lacking in experience he was and coming off the back of a bad injury last season. 

I think Cash and Konsa were bought 4/5 years ago and are obviously worth a lot more now, plus we have played Carlos a lot this season over Cash and we paid about £30m for him plus Martinez at nearly £20m so overall our defence is more expensive. I was also surprised we got Pau Torres for £30m and it was probably seen as a bit of a coup.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Newcastle are doing well now because all their players are fresh. Ours are knackered as well as all the injuries.  They can spin things as much as they like but 6th place plus getting knocked out pf the group stages of champions league is regression from last season.  Season over 38 games not the last 10 or so. 

It is but at the same time last season they massively punched above their weight 

6th is probably about right for that squad 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It is but at the same time last season they massively punched above their weight 

6th is probably about right for that squad 

You could argue we have punched above our weight this season too.  How the club build the squad this summer will be crucial to continue to push on.

• Like 2