Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

33 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They’re not as good as they were last season, at least that’s my general vibe with them, no idea whether that’s actually the case. But they’re top six contenders without any question, one point off the Saudis, two points off Man Utd and those two are top six contenders. 

I bet the vast majority of Villa supporters were pleased that Sheffield United managed to get something from them today which would tell me they’re considered rivals.

I had a quick look at this, Brighton actually have 1 more point this season after 12 games than they did at the same point last season (this included the manager change). So my vibe that they’re doing worse isn’t being backed up with the points return.

No idea on the relative strength of opposition in the two sets of fixtures but will go out on a limb and guess its probably comparable enough. 

So to circle it back to us, roughly as it currently stands -

Villa 23/24 > BHA 23/24 > BHA 22/23

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I had a quick look at this, Brighton actually have 1 more point this season after 12 games than they did at the same point last season (this included the manager change). So my vibe that they’re doing worse isn’t being backed up with the points return.

No idea on the relative strength of opposition in the two sets of fixtures but will go out on a limb and guess its probably comparable enough. 

So to circle it back to us, roughly as it currently stands -

Villa 23/24 > BHA 23/24 > BHA 22/23

Fair. Did they lose 3 games within that period? I feel like they have lost more than they did last season at the same stage… probably because they were drawing instead. (I accept that I could just Google that myself but I don’t want to 😃

Edited by Tayls

17 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

They've won four out of the last five. On current form they should probably win the next four. 

Everton have really improved in last six weeks. I think they'll struggle to win at Goodison so can see that being a draw. Newcastle with home advantage should beat them but need a few of their injured players back in final third.

Can't see them getting anything at Anfield.

If it's end to end then Chelsea will create a few chances v them at Old Trafford, that could be a high scoring draw.

They're barely scoring more than a goal a game currently so they're going to have to step that up as some of those teams will certainly be scoring at least once past them.

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Fair. Did they lose 3 games within that period? I feel like they have lost more than they did last season… probably because they were drawing instead. (I accept that I could just Google that myself but I don’t want to 😃

They had lost four games by that point (Fulham, Spurs, Brentford, Citeh).

Wikipedia gives a different story, but having checked various sources, looking at tables at that point (bbc is good for that) I think a fixture must have been postponed or something to mess things up.

Curios question

In the last 25 years would you rather Villa had been like Leicester City and won the Fa Cup and Premier League but spent most time in lower divisions or would you just had rather Villa been the team we have been over the years ?

For me tough one as if we win the Fa Cup and Premier League I’d be the most happiest seeing my team win those competitions but Leicester have spent a considerable amount of time outside of the top tier 🤔

Because we are playing in the top league against the best teams for pretty much for majority of those years that just about edges it for me.

My only concern right now is that we've only had three clean sheets all season (not including the Hibs tie) and the last of which in the PL was against 10 man Chelsea 2 months ago.

Edited by R.Bear

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

My only concern right now is that we've only had three clean sheets all season (not including the Hibs tie) and the last of which in the PL was against 10 man Chelsea 2 months ago.

It’s a concern yet could be in our favor that we still have a room for improvement. 
I think Tielimans gives us more balance than Zaniolo or Bailey (Especially going to the next tough games). That should help us defensively and offensively. 
Last season we were conceding much until our 10 games run only conceded 2 or something like that. 
Now we’re more adventurous but we still not have last season organize because of players adapting to the system (Moreno was perfect offensively while Young had more awareness than Cash). With Ramsey as well we were balanced. All of that with being more cautious. 

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Curios question

In the last 25 years would you rather Villa had been like Leicester City and won the Fa Cup and Premier League but spent most time in lower divisions or would you just had rather Villa been the team we have been over the years ?

For me tough one as if we win the Fa Cup and Premier League I’d be the most happiest seeing my team win those competitions but Leicester have spent a considerable amount of time outside of the top tier 🤔

Because we are playing in the top league against the best teams for pretty much for majority of those years that just about edges it for me.

I think winning the league trumps anything really. It's about creating history and memories of us winning the league and European Cup is something that will never be forgotten. 

• Like 2

The next 5 games will be a good indicator of how we will do this season: Spurs (a), Bournemouth (a), City (h), Arsenal (h), Brentford (a). It's going to be hard to still be on 2 points a game after those matches but that has to be the aim. I think that's a tough run and wouldn't be surprised if we only end up with 5-6 points, but obviously I hope for more. 

Spurs with their injuries and suspensions we have to be looking to win and I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least draw. Bournemouth has to be a win despite their result on Saturday. City and Arsenal at home are both very difficult but our home form is excellent so who knows. Be very difficult to win away at Brentford who have only lose 3 games there since the start of last season but again that has to be our aim. 

My main concern is our poor away form and our complete inability to keep a clean sheet. We have to start winning away, simple as. Two clean sheets all season is appalling. Konsa should be in the England squad but with statistics like that beaky won't be considering him, that's the reality (although the fact that Dunk gets in over him when Brighton haven't kept a clean sheet all season just shows what a numpty he is). 

9 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I think its a mental thing defensively, 12 of the goals we have conceded have been in the 1st ten minutes of the half( even West Ham scored the 11th minute of the 2nd half)

Not sure if we mentally switch off or of we are trying to play our way into the half

7 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Is this your spreadsheet?

I didn't think I could respect @MaVilla anymore than I already did. This morning, I've been proved wrong. I bloody love this.

Odd request, but do you think you could make the spreadsheet available as a Google Sheet that you could share with us? Fair enough if you want to keep it private!

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

for the nerds (like me).

image.thumb.png.6ef9f0fb31c7b72317e7ef83e0133934.png

Based on this form of 2.08 PPG it is possible to finish around 75 points.

I think we need to take a few scalps at Villa Park though in order to achieve that.

Last year the Barcodes got 71 points and finished fourth, Man Poo 75 points finishing third.

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think winning the league trumps anything really. It's about creating history and memories of us winning the league and European Cup is something that will never be forgotten. 

So you would rather us be Leicester then 😝😂