Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Spurs and Newcastle's style of play is starting to hurt them already imo. Playing at the tempo they do continually isn't the way to do well in this league, Leeds found that out under Bielsa. It's a pretty good way to wreck your squad if it's not deep enough. I'm starting to think this is where Emery is going to come into his own in managing the lads. The slower tempo at times and ball retention is 100% a benefit in not having our players run into the ground. We pick our moments, Spurs and Newcastle just get at it all the time and I'm thinking it's not helping them.    

they will improve though once they go out of the CL

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

United are bloody annoying, been absolutely dog turd all season yet somehow may be 1/4 points behind us tomorrow.

Im not worried theyve scraped past luton, Sheff united, Brentford and Fulham by the finest of margins getting spanked by decent teams in between.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

they will improve though once they go out of the CL

Unless they go into the Europa. Spurs are struggling now and don't have Europe. I think continual intensity in the way they play is a problem for both squads. We would have the same problem playing 100 miles an hour continually too imo.

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Unless they go into the Europa. Spurs are struggling now and don't have Europe. I think continual intensity in the way they play is a problem for both squads. We would have the same problem playing 100 miles an hour continually too imo.

This is a fair point. Howe is doing a great job but they really do play at a mad intensity all game. Something had to give.

Spurs I think are a bit unlucky that they have lost a lot of players so have to again rely on last seasons lot without Kane bailing them out. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Before we start celebrating Spurs and Newcastle losing, or thinking about Spurs after the international break:angry: I'm bloody sick of hearing people moan about Southgate, and I don't even like him as a manager myself, we need to worry about beating Fulham first, we've had numerous games this season, Forest, Wolves, Everton and Legia in the cups,  where it's been taken for granted that we would win but have come unstuck, and this run at Villa Park going to come to an end at some point, runs like that often end when least expecting it, we should win, but have to guard against complacency as that could be our worst enemy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Before we start celebrating Spurs and Newcastle losing, or thinking about Spurs after the international break:angry: I'm bloody sick of hearing people moan about Southgate, and I don't even like him as a manager myself, we need to worry about beating Fulham first, we've had numerous games this season, Forest, Wolves, Everton and Legia in the cups,  where it's been taken for granted that we would win but have come unstuck, and this run at Villa Park going to come to an end at some point, runs like that often end when least expecting it, we should win, but have to guard against complacency as that could be our worst enemy.

Hopefully we had our complacent game last weekend, had a good warning on Thursday and come out tomorrow ready to take the game to Fulham. I agree though, the run has got to end at some point at home. Hopefully not for a while yet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Hopefully we had our complacent game last weekend, had a good warning on Thursday and come out tomorrow ready to take the game to Fulham. I agree though, the run has got to end at some point at home. Hopefully not for a while yet. 

I don’t think it was complacency last week. We dominated but were poor in the final third and they were clinical plus an error, These results will occasionally happen but I didn’t see complacency.  Maybe frustration and a lack of quality when it mattered.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Spurs and Newcastle's style of play is starting to hurt them already imo. Playing at the tempo they do continually isn't the way to do well in this league, Leeds found that out under Bielsa. It's a pretty good way to wreck your squad if it's not deep enough. I'm starting to think this is where Emery is going to come into his own in managing the lads. The slower tempo at times and ball retention is 100% a benefit in not having our players run into the ground. We pick our moments, Spurs and Newcastle just get at it all the time and I'm thinking it's not helping them.    

You make a very good point, mate. 

I was watching us against AZ in the week and thinking about the way in which we build our play from the back with its slow and deliberate pace. Us dictating the pace of games pretty much means we exert ourselves as much as we want, pretty much. 

I think this philosophy will help us keep players energy levels at a good enough level throughout the season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think it was complacency last week. We dominated but were poor in the final third and they were clinical plus an error, These results will occasionally happen but I didn’t see complacency. 

I think it's a bit of everything including complacency tbh but I can agree somewhat with the points you've made.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

You make a very good point, mate. 

I was watching us against AZ in the week and thinking about the way in which we build our play from the back with its slow and deliberate pace. Us dictating the pace of games pretty much means we exert ourselves as much as we want, pretty much. 

I think this philosophy will help us keep players energy levels at a good enough level throughout the season. 

I think  this is integral to how Unai wants the team to manage games and themselves. I think a few players have mentioned about picking moments in games to raise the tempo, most recently McGinn iirc. 

Unai has danced this dance a few times now and more than understands how a smaller squad can function and become just as capable if managed correctly.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

big opportunity now. problem is that fulham are right in it and need to start picking up points. massive game tomorrow

Fulham were very meek v Man. United last week. And previously in last month v Chelsea and Spurs. They really don't have much of a scoring threat presently so I think we should be comfortable in this. Would be a much worse game to drop points in than last week imo as that sort of result can always happen away from home as we've just seen with Newcastle.