Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Anyone who's watched Villa would have to concede that we don't look likely to drop out of the top 5.

At home, yes.

We are not invulnerable though, particularly recently.

Not moaning in the slightest, we have been excellent, just saying we have to be on it, not much margin for error.

Let's hope we can keep it up - signs are mostly very good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Anyone who's watched Villa would have to concede that we don't look likely to drop out of the top 5.

Hm.not so sure about that

Our next four consist of these three teams in that four

Spurs arsenal and city. We will likely drop points. Thats why it is vital we won today

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They've played 7 home games, that's reason enough. Infact I've mentioned this before but given we've only played six I really don't understand why we've got two away games straight after the break.

Really how difficult is it on a fixture computer to get all teams playing six at home and six away after 12 games. It irks me we're going pretty much half a season playing fewer home games compared to our direct rivals this season especially when we feel invincible at VP currently.

We've "only" played half our games at home? :D

On the bit in bold, the schedule changes all the time depending on cup games, European fixtures etc. etc.  I imagine there'll be a +/- 1 variable across the board (i.e: Spurs have played 5 at home, 7 away.  Man Utd 7 home, 5 away). 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hm.not so sure about that

Our next four consist of these three teams in that four

Spurs arsenal and city. We will likely drop points. Thats why it is vital we won today

We almost certainly will. 

However, would say we can get at least two points, possibly three.

Anything more, would be massive!

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

We almost certainly will. 

However, would say we can get at least two points, possibly three.

Anything more, would be massive!

We could have 12 points from the next 4.

Equally, we could have 0.

That's the game of football!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We've "only" played half our games at home? :D

On the bit in bold, the schedule changes all the time depending on cup games, European fixtures etc. etc.  I imagine there'll be a +/- 1 variable across the board (i.e: Spurs have played 5 at home, 7 away.  Man Utd 7 home, 5 away). 

It's just annoying really. People are endlessly moaning on here we're "only" 4 points off the worst Man. United team since 1974 or whenever  they got relegated. Well if we played as many home matches as they had then we might've won another and so be 7 points clear of them with a far superior GD so that''s a comfortable enough lead for first third of the season.

I can get in first part of the season we asked to be away more due to the pitch needing more time after the summer concerts but you really shouldn't be getting until end of December before we've played the same number of home matches.

Arsenal and Chelsea are two other teams who've played 7 of their first 12 at home so far.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Well we don't look likely to get Champions League football, our away form still isn't good enough.

Who's is  good enough to get top 5, no one is pulling up trees tbh. Manure are struggling, Spurs are as well, Newcastle? We are in with a good chance, as good as any of those teams. 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It's just annoying really. People are endlessly moaning on here we're "only" 4 points off the worst Man. United team since 1974 or whenever  they got relegated. Well if we played as many home matches as they had then we might've won another and so be 7 points clear of them with a far superior GD so that''s a comfortable enough lead for first third of the season.

I can get in first part of the season we asked to be away more due to the pitch needing more time after the summer concerts but you really shouldn't be getting until end of December before we've played the same number of home matches.

Arsenal and Chelsea are two other teams who've played 7 of their first 12 at home so far.

Similarly, Man Utd have been marginally better on the road than at home (1.8 points per game than 1.7) so maybe them having an extra home game has been worse for them.

It doesn't matter.  We all play each other home and away over the course of a season.

Man City and Spurs have both played 5 games at home.  Liverpool and Villa have played 6.  Man Utd and Arsenal have played 7.  That's the top 6 sides.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We could have 12 points from the next 4.

Equally, we could have 0.

That's the game of football!

Obviously, that is statistically accurate.

I was hinting at my view of a positive/realistic outcome.

2 points or three and we will have done well, imo.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Who's is  good enough to get top 5, no one is pulling up trees tbh. Manure are struggling, Spurs are as well, Newcastle? We are in with a good chance, as good as any of those teams. 

If Tottenham continue to have there poor form, it's a possibilty we might get 4th. But we ain't beating Arsenal. City or Liverpool anytime soon, an I'm sure Tottenham will be back on it soon enough.

Arsenal will beak our home form record I suspect.

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Obviously, that is statistically accurate.

I was hinting at my view of a positive/realistic outcome.

2 points or three and we will have done well, imo.

Out of just those three games, or the next four? (Bournemouth away is the other one)

Behind City, Pool and Arsenal it's a pickem at the moment. Were still holding onto that top 5 cluster which is amazing. Our home form is stellar but we probably need to cut out the daft goal we seem to concede. It's fine when bashing a team 3 4 5-1 but that could be the different between 3 or 1 point in some games.

image.thumb.jpeg.bba4edc34d1ae73fc33e190b6239ed20.jpeg

Still looks good vs 2 points per game that if we keep it up until the end of the season will see us getting 76 points and top 4.

The next 5 games will be crucial, Spurs and Bournemouth away, then ManC and Arsenal at home, before away against Brentford, we need 9 points from those matches if we are to keep us at the 2 points per game line. If we don't manage to do anything about our away form, we could end up with 0 points from those matches, and more or less out of contention for CL places.