Marco Asensio

wishywashy

Just now, The_Steve said:

Classic stuff from Romano to say the exact same thing the Marca article said hours earlier. 

It's a mystery how this guy did rise to fame.

He doesn't break any stories. Any guy can do what he does.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They are very, very different players

I know but we can't have a full back, right mid, and right winger at the same time, surely?

This has the distinct whiff of a classic 'Villa linked, goes to CL club' saga about it.

If he was set on joining us and holding talks with us, we wouldn't know about it. The paper talk and signal boosting is at best wrangling for more money to sign, and more likely to flag up the opportunity to fancier names. I'll be astonished if he is wearing our colours come August - he'll be headed to a CL team or a super high prestige club like Milan.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

So if we did get Asensio, I take it that means no Guendouzi? Isn't he a right sided midfielder?

Not at all. Asensio would come here to play the second striker/right sided forward position. That's what he wants to play, and also where he best fits Emery's current system he puts out. Alongside the money and almost guaranteed gametime, it's probably why we have such a good chance of getting him over PSG etc.

Guendouzi can play any of the midfield positions. Central and wide. One does not preclude the other.

Similiarly, signing Asensio does not mean we wouldn't still be in for Williams, Goncalves, Barnes and others talked about for other forward minded positions.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

So if we did get Asensio, I take it that means no Guendouzi? Isn't he a right sided midfielder?

Winger/support striker/ Attacking Midfielder. More so competition for Buendia and Bailey.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Guendouzi is more competition for CM and LM. Asensio is a forward or RM

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This has the distinct whiff of a classic 'Villa linked, goes to CL club' saga about it.

If he was set on joining us and holding talks with us, we wouldn't know about it. The paper talk and signal boosting is at best wrangling for more money to sign, and more likely to flag up the opportunity to fancier names. I'll be astonished if he is wearing our colours come August - he'll be headed to a CL team or a super high prestige club like Milan.

Possibly, although working with Emery would be a huge draw for a lot of players.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

this is the worry. we are excellent at doing our deals behind closed doors so the only way this gets leaked is on the player's side.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Possibly, although working with Emery would be a huge draw for a lot of players.

I suspect Emery is the only reason he took the call from us in the first place. The money we could offer probably kept the call going. But realistically this is the kind of guy who is going to want to playing for title challengers and elite sides.

If we can get him on board, we've pulled off an enormous coup.

Â