Marco Asensio

wishywashy

What I put in the Summer Transfer Thread last night:

If he does come, he's coming to increase the number of goals we score. That's his best attribute, his shot. Technically very very good, favours his left foot a fair bit.
For me, he's not a winger. He's a 10 or a forward. Don't expect him to take on a player one on one and win via physical ability. He is much better at progressing the ball through technical craft, but he is good with the ball at his feet.

He's very good retaining the ball and moving it around with a neat pass - got to think Emery likes the sound of this a lot.

He's had some difficulties to deal with before, be it nailing down a consistent position in the Madrid team or coming back from a really bad ACL injury. He now progresses the ball better with his vision and weight of pass than by beating a player. I have some questions about how "involved" he would get in the defensive phases of play.

As much as Villa are a project, so is Asensio. Got to believe that's what Emery sees too. A lump of clay, with some magic about it, that Emery can mold in to his system that he wants to play. Similarly, from all reports, Asensio could benefit from going to a place where he is going to be given a chance to be a main attraction rather than just another star in a team of many (which Madrid is). I think he needs that kind of devotion and focus, being taken under the wing of someone respected, to get the best out of him now.

For us, I would expect him to play the right sided forward alongside Watkins, but would typically drop deeper more regularly and wider too to link up play.

He would immediately go in to our starting line-up for sure. You add all the other recruitment analysis stuff on top like he would be on a free, all his CL experience and so on, there's not a lot to dislike here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Got a hell of a shot on him, what a sweet left foot…

spacer.png

Oh I have missed hearing about the fabled "wand of a left foot".

It was said three times in the League 1 play off yesterday including after one owner of such a foot absolutely farted a gilt-edged chance closer to the corner flag than the goal.

• Haha 1

If we have £200m to spend this summer, this signing will be relatively cheap even with a £10m signing on fee. I'm sure we'll see some fairly big wages off of the wage bill as well this summer to cover a good chunk of what his salary will most likely be.

This would be an incredible signing and could be used to entice other high quality players to move to us as well.

Would certainly signal our intent more than bringing in Barnes or Harrison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This news has totally destroyed my focus and laid to rest any hope of me actually achieving anything positive this morning. If we do sign all of these players, I won’t be able to afford to go and watch them at this rate, as I’ll almost certainly be unemployed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Is there such thing as a respected journalist in Spain?!

In so far as client journalism - if Madrid want stories published they know who to go to. This could equally be Mendes/Asensio’s camp. 

If this happens this is would potentially be the signing that can help attract other players of that calibre. The advantage we hold over Arsenal and PSG is that we can offer him starts pretty much all the time, whereas he would be in the same situation at Real with the two teams I mentioned. Really and truly he’s only just coming into his prime if you look at his age and your typical football players timeline. 

Â