Marco Asensio

wishywashy

31 minutes ago, sne said:

Coutinho was a bigger name and for me even at the age he was Luc Nilis was a better player.

But Asensio would be a marquee signing at the right age and place in his career. Kamara was too for me but in a far earlier stage of his career. Asensio have been there and done it all and is still in his prime. Not getting my hopes up yet thou.

Collymore was massive at time no matter how it turned out.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Does he want to be a big fish in a smaller pond or a small fish in a bigger pond. He’d be hero worshiped if he joined us whilst being paid handsomely in the most competitive league in the world… Wouldn't disregard that fact being he’s been used sporadically at Real.  

For all of what? Two games?

You've known our fanbase for how long? 😉

• Haha 1

Only the Spanish press have said we’re “close to signing him”. Hope I’m wrong but it stinks of an agent trying to get PSG to hurry up and make an offer. We’re a much more attractive club now and more attractive than say Spurs and other teams around us, but we can’t compete with PSG and guaranteed champions league football. He’ll fully back himself to break into that team as well.

Worth saying again that Messi is leaving, and if PSG can get their way they'd probably be happily rid of Neymar too. Even accounting for him it leaves Mbappe and Ekitike as the only players for them that play across the forward line, so Asensio more than likely plays most weeks for them were he to sign despite statements to the contrary, as he would be the only one who is naturally right-sided. Even if they sign another forward it'd likely be someone to play through the middle which again wouldn't really threaten his place in the team.

Main hope for me would be that PSG explore other options, because as appealing as Villa are right now we're not at the level yet to have much chance at beating them for them for players like this.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Worth saying again that Messi is leaving, and if PSG can get their way they'd probably be happily rid of Neymar too. Even accounting for him it leaves Mbappe and Ekitike as the only players for them that play across the forward line, so Asensio more than likely plays most weeks for them were he to sign despite statements to the contrary, as he would be the only one who is naturally right-sided. Even if they sign another forward it'd likely be someone to play through the middle which again wouldn't really threaten his place in the team.

Main hope for me would be that PSG explore other options, because as appealing as Villa are right now we're not at the level yet to have much chance at beating them for them for players like this.

You miss factors like 1)they haven’t got a manager at the moment so the uncertainty there both in terms of whether the new manager wants him and unsettled squad 2) The PL is a massive draw to players 3) Emery’s pull 4) Asensio wants to be a main player and I understand your points but still no guarantee of that at psg where he would be here.

It just depends on what he wants but psg being in the mix doesn’t mean he’d definitely go there if he had the choice.

The man's won everything worth winning with Real Madrid, including multiple Champions Leagues (which is the only thing worth winning at PSG). 

Why not time for a fun, and financially rewarding, project in the most exciting league on Earth, with fans who'll be excited to see you, and in a city which isn't literally on fire?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

Got to agree with this. Manchester is pretty cool and fun now although I hate to admit it. They’ve invested so well. Ive always loved Liverpool - I grew up in the north west and that was the night out of choice, the people are friendly and fun and I would certainly never call it a shit hole.

Birmingham is an odd one. I’m sure it’s got it’s places like anywhere else but for an outsider it’s difficult to navigate and “sell” to others, and I don’t find it very friendly to non-Brummies

I genuinely don't get what's so 'cool' about it compared to other similar sized cities tbh, this is as someone that lived there for 7 years (and liked living there).  I don't really get what it has that other places don't apart from a local populace that crow about it being the best place in the world.

Big UK cities like Brum, Liverpool, Leeds etc are all much of a muchness with regards things to do and attractiveness.  A mixture of modern buildings popping up in the sea of brutalism with an equal amount of rundown areas outside the centre.

Cities like Oxford and York have far more character and then of course, London is just London.

6 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

The man's won everything worth winning with Real Madrid, including multiple Champions Leagues (which is the only thing worth winning at PSG). 

Why not time for a fun, and financially rewarding, project in the most exciting league on Earth, with fans who'll be excited to see you, and in a city which isn't literally on fire?

Tell that to Lionel too

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You miss factors like 1)they haven’t got a manager at the moment so the uncertainty there both in terms of whether the new manager wants him and unsettled squad 2) The PL is a massive draw to players 3) Emery’s pull 4) Asensio wants to be a main player and I understand your points but still no guarantee of that at psg where he would be here.

It just depends on what he wants but psg being in the mix doesn’t mean he’d definitely go there if he had the choice.

I was speaking in generalities on my second line, obviously there could be anomalies where someone would be swayed be the PL, Emery etc, but I think it's fair to say we'd be doing well to compete with PSG for players given where both clubs are at right now. It's not a knock on Villa at all, it's just the reality of where PSG are at and if anything would make me even more excited if we managed it.

On point 1) this is just a comment on how haphazardly PSG are run but unless they're about to change that I don't think it matters. The managers are hamstrung by what goes on above, and ultimately the decision-makers like Campos, Mbappe (lol) sign who they're going to sign so if they want Asensio they'll go for him regardless if anyone is in the post or not right now. I doubt Galtier would have much of a say in the matter, for example.

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I genuinely don't get what's so 'cool' about it compared to other similar sized cities tbh, this is as someone that lived there for 7 years (and liked living there).  I don't really get what it has that other places don't apart from a local populace that crow about it being the best place in the world.

Big UK cities like Brum, Liverpool, Leeds etc are all much of a muchness with regards things to do and attractiveness.  A mixture of modern buildings popping up in the sea of brutalism with an equal amount of rundown areas outside the centre.

Cities like Oxford and York have far more character and then of course, London is just London.

It's just marketing and perception. They keep telling people it's cool and eventually people believe it.

As for Brum, honestly, go stand in St Phillips or St Paul's square, close your eyes, forget which city you're in, and then open and look around. You could be in London. You could be in a fancy European city. It's no different - in fact, in many ways Birmingham has nicer squares than London because it doesn't have those godawdul massive "cheap" hotel blocks ruining the outlook. I swear it's all just perception. Go to New Street and look up, above ground level. Oh hey, these are extremely nice buildings - who would have thought?

Whether this is something that a footballer like Asensio cares about or notices who is to say? These people are different to us, they move from place to place and country to country regularly, they have enough money to jet off wherever they want whenever they want. Does it really ever matter where their club is physically located?

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jayEm said:

"Villa have made an incredible offer that can't be matched" "It's a done deal, just a formality now"

What does this remind me of? 🤔

The difference is, Asensio is coming because we're signing Messi. Whereas Alamany decided to not come because we're signing Messi :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jayEm said:

"Villa have made an incredible offer that can't be matched" "It's a done deal, just a formality now"

That one time you counted all your penguins before they hatched.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Coutinho was a bigger name and for me even at the age he was Luc Nilis was a better player.

But Asensio would be a marquee signing at the right age and place in his career. Kamara was too for me but in a far earlier stage of his career. Asensio have been there and done it all and is still in his prime. Not getting my hopes up yet thou.

Coutinho elevated our profile absolutely. Asensio would be a statement name. This might the one window we have to push on at the expense of clubs like Spurs and use Unai and our strong finish and wealth to sign big quality names. Sometimes the stars all align. I hope we can pull this off. 

11 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Marca have said for weeks that nobody could match our offer and that it was up to the player. 

Â