Nico Williams

RicRic

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

As it’s a release clause it’ll be have to be paid in full at point of transfer. 

It's not really a release clause, but your point about paying it in full stands.

It's an amount of money Williams has to pay to exit his contract with the Bilbao. But in Spain those fees are usually set way above the market value of the player.

Obviously the buying club can choose to cover that cost for the player or they can agree a fee with Bilbao below that amount for them to terminate his contract.

Doesn't sound like they're willing to accept less so the full amount being paid to them seems to be the way this is going. 

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

As it’s a release clause it’ll be have to be paid in full at point of transfer. 

We didn't get the Grealish money or Benteke money upfront and they were release clauses.

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's not really a release clause, but your point about paying it in full stands.

It's an amount of money Williams has to pay to exit his contract with the Bilbao. But in Spain those fees are usually set way above the market value of the player.

Obviously the buying club can choose to cover that cost for the player or they can agree a fee with Bilbao below that amount for them to terminate his contract.

Doesn't sound like they're willing to accept less so the full amount being paid to them seems to be the way this is going. 

He only has 12 months left on his contract, they'd risk losing him for nothing if he doesn't sign a new contract with them.  Would be a risky move, but given how much the player probably loves the club, if we refused to pay the buyout clause, he'd probably extend his contract rather than leave for free.

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

We didn't get the Grealish money or Benteke money upfront and they were release clauses.

Different clauses, that was a fee a club would have to pay for us to sell the player.  La Liga release clauses are Spanish law, they have to buy out the agreed value of their contract, the player usually does this themselves and is then reimbursed by the club he's moving too.

5 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

For tax reasons its often preferable to get the fee over a numbers of years.

6 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Are you sure?  I thought our accounts showed a £100m "gain" upon that sale?

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Different clauses, that was a fee a club would have to pay for us to sell the player.  La Liga release clauses are Spanish law, they have to buy out the agreed value of their contract, the player usually does this themselves and is then reimbursed by the club he's moving too.

Yikes! You would hope the accounts team were not caught dawdling if you were looking to be reimbursed an expense on that scale! I wouldn't fancy being told "we missed the payment run for this month but Julie in accounts says it will be paid in August"! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can see him being our second signing. I know fluke all about the guy though, will he be a starter?

He’s good enough to start consistently. A big improvement on the wingers we have. 

He is sooo raw. 

If people dislike Bailey because of his inconsistency their brains will fry with this guy. 

Lacks composure like Adama Traore when he was young and still struggles horrendously now. The big question is will he learn to compose himself with that final ball? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He is sooo raw. 

If people dislike Bailey because of his inconsistency their brains will fry with this guy. 

Lacks composure like Adama Traore when he was young and still struggles horrendously now. The big question is will he learn to compose himself with that final ball? 

I must admit, he does look raw - you're right there. 

For the money it looks like we're going to have to pay, settling in and all that isn't really awarded with much grace.

It's a huge punt of faith in Emery if he says this is the guy. Maybe not even is! Maybe, this will be the guy at some point.

17 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He is sooo raw. 

An even more inconsistent Leon Bailey / Traore-type and folk are frothing at the mouth at the potential signing? Seems an odd one.

He looks skilful and determined on the vids.

I know nothing about him and, frankly, I'm just excited/anxious (general Villa fan vibes) about the fee. Has anyone seen him play? In our system, it's critical that players in his role tuck in and maintain the team's shape. Could he do that?

I trust Unai to coach anyone, but do people think this guy could do a job for the team, as well as offensively? 

5 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

An even more inconsistent Leon Bailey / Traore-type and folk are frothing at the mouth at the potential signing? Seems an odd one.

Because his ceiling is ridiculously high. One of the best wingers in the world high.

• Like 1

Seems like this is the type of guy you gamble on that could push us towards champions League football if goes well but if not we are looking like mid table team

Where as Barnes probably guarantees us to probably finish similar position in top 7

Would that be fair?

Â