Nico Williams

RicRic

4 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

An even more inconsistent Leon Bailey / Traore-type and folk are frothing at the mouth at the potential signing? Seems an odd one.

Nico is inconsistent like Buendia in that he takes some very heavy touches, scuffs passes and shots, tries flicks, backheels, and dribbles which don't come off a lot of the time.  He looks like a very young player trying to get used to the pace of top flight football and has shown a lot of improvement in his two years of first team football at Bilbao so far.  He doesn't constantly dribble down blind alleys and out of play or constantly take a shot into the car park from 40 yards out ala Bailey/Traore.  Very different types of frustrating.  He looks like someone that after a few seasons of getting used to the Premier League and life in England with Emery he'll blow up and have Madrid/Barcelona be trying to buy for 100 million pounds.  

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Got a link to the quote? Not seen it TBF.

“We signed Pepe," Emery told The Guardian "He’s a good player but we didn’t know his character and he needs time, patience.

"I favoured someone who knew the league and wouldn’t need to adapt. Zaha won games on his own: Tottenham, Manchester City, us. Incredible performances. I told them: ‘This is the player I know and want.’

"I met Zaha and he wanted to come. The club decided Pepe was one for the future. I said: ‘Yes, but we need to win now and this lad wins games.’ He beat us on his own."

Emery admitted that signing Zaha wouldn't have been simple, with Palace determined to keep hold of their top player.

“It’s also true he was expensive and Palace didn’t want to sell,” Emery said. “There were a series of decisions that had repercussions.”

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/former-arsenal-boss-emery-wanted-to-sign-zaha-instead-of-pepe/12g0bu1xq54sl1v52f58rn9jzs

When I initially read it the other day, it was from a better source :D

Edited by Tom13

This translates as the following but no idea how reliable the source is.

OFFICIAL: The deal for Nico Williams has been closed and he will leave Athletic Club to Aston Villa with a salary of 7 million: The player Nico Williams from Athletic Bilbao will not continue in the Spanish team next season, but will join… 👀

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

OFFICIAL: The deal for Nico Williams has been closed and he will leave Athletic Club to Aston Villa with a salary of 7 million: The player Nico Williams from Athletic Bilbao will not continue in the Spanish team next season, but will join… 👀

It's HAPPENING 

Ah man the following reply is correction....it's not official 

Edited by supermon
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I saw that earlier. That same account has replied to it saying 'sorry, it's not yet official'

7 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

He is sooo raw. 

If people dislike Bailey because of his inconsistency their brains will fry with this guy. 

Lacks composure like Adama Traore when he was young and still struggles horrendously now. The big question is will he learn to compose himself with that final ball? 

Why are people so excited by him then? I know nothing about him and have never seen him play so am not bothered either way if we sign him. I don’t think we are at the financial stage yet where we can drop £30 mil on a raw unproven player. Jhon Duran makes me nervous enough.

This observation that he is raw ........  wouldn't say he is raw at all I'd say he isn't the finished article yet & oh boy when Emery gets his hands on him 😍 he has everything to be a success at our club & if he does become a success we have another £100 million player on our hands. Sooner spend £50 million on him than £30/£40 million on Barnes. This lad is only 21 & played 80 odd games for Bilbao, caps for Spain 🇪🇸 & alot of big hitters in Europe all looking at him. He is going to be a star & it could be in a Villa shirt 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Why are people so excited by him then? I know nothing about him and have never seen him play so am not bothered either way if we sign him. I don’t think we are at the financial stage yet where we can drop £30 mil on a raw unproven player. Jhon Duran makes me nervous enough.

Problem is we can’t pay £60-90m for non-raw proven equivalent and most likely that kind of player wouldn’t join us anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Can't believe the negativity around this one.

Huge prospect and already shown plenty hence the caps for Spain!

I’m neutral. If Emery wants him then great but the words inconsistent and raw put me on edge slightly for a player of that value. 

Â