Nico Williams

RicRic

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

@BilbaoHiria reckon it's off - no idea if reputable or not.

Same website said just yesterday he is potentially off. They don’t know either. It’s all speculation. 

They’ve published four or five articles saying we won’t or will pay the release clause. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

@BilbaoHiria reckon it's off - no idea if reputable or not.

Where have the Arsenal links come from? Haven't seen him linked with them, and considering they have Martinelli, Saka and soon to be Havertz, where does he imagine he'll play?

Just now, duke313 said:

Where have the Arsenal links come from? Haven't seen him linked with them, and considering they have Martinelli, Saka and soon to be Havertz, where does he imagine he'll play?

Check out their tweets https://twitter.com/search?q=From%3Abilbaohiria aston villa&src=typed_query&f=top

They are speculating 

Just now, duke313 said:

Seems like they are covering all outcomes, Spanish media a soap opera as usual.

For sure. I’d add that they’ve been translating the stuff into English also because they want the clicks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

For sure. I’d add that they’ve been translating the stuff into English also because they want the clicks. 

Given that we seem to be shopping in La Liga as we have a Spanish manager, coaches, scouts and hopefully soon to be Sporting Director, it's going to get real tiresome having to deal with Spanish media and news every window 🤣 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Is this going to be another one for the ‘disappointment’ section of VT? 

The longer it goes on the more I'm resigning myself to the fact that it could be.

Hopefully just my own pessimism but we usually get things done fairly quickly. 

5 minutes ago, dubliner said:

The longer it goes on the more I'm resigning myself to the fact that it could be.

Hopefully just my own pessimism but we usually get things done fairly quickly. 

There’s too much on it for it to actually happen now. It almost never drags on for this long before we actually sign someone. (I use the phrase ‘drags on’ loosely - of course none of us know how long it has been going on for, or if there is any truth in it at all) 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

He's a wonderkid. Why would you be happy to risk losing him to someone else?

Yes. At that price it's a big gamble, whether he's a "wonderkid" or not. His stats look ok, not amazing. And from clips he looks pretty raw. It's not enough of a cert for me that he'd be able to come in an make the kind of impact straight away I'd expect from a transfer of that value.

And I think that's what we need this season, players who can come straight into first XI and improve out current levels and we can be confident about them hitting the ground running. Top 4 might be a possibility with a few impactful additions and that changes everything for us.

But we do not have an infinite budget to do this. Do we have scope to spend big? Sure. £100M should be pretty doable. Maybe more. To use up almost half that resource on a bit of a gamble that we might be able to secure 6 months down the line for significantly less doesn't seem like the best use of that budget.

Could I be entirely wrong about his ability? Sure, I've seen very little of him. He could be amazing and come in and have the impact we need straight away to carry us forward. And obviously if Emery thinks he's the perfect player for us and the price is worth it no matter what and that works with the budget for his other targets this summer then great, let's hope it works out. But I'm sure he's not the only player we are looking at for the role, and I imagine some of those other options might have more pedigree, be better value or both.

23 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Has anyone credible actually linked us with him yet?

Yeah, Matteo Moretto has. He seems to be one of the very, very few out of Spain that is reliable for this kind of thing.

Nico met and listened to Emery last week, but he prioritizes staying in Bilbao over signing for Aston Villa.

Athletic continues working on its renewal.

The market is long and everything could change if a giant from Europe comes into play.

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Nico met and listened to Emery last week, but he prioritizes staying in Bilbao over signing for Aston Villa.

The market is long and everything could change if a giant from Europe comes into play.

A decent source as well, hmm maybe this one isn’t happening. It’s a shame because he looks like he’s going to be a very good player in the future, but I’ve kind of half expected him to possibly stay. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

A decent source as well, hmm maybe this one isn’t happening. It’s a shame because he looks like he’s going to be a very good player in the future, but I’ve kind of half expected him to possibly stay. 

At least we know the link isn't bollocks now I guess.  We really do want him, so hopefully we've turned his head and the Premier League money will win out.  Although there are other tweets saying the likes of Arsenal and City are monitoring his stituation and we're not the only Premier League side interested.  We'll see. In Emery we ... blah blah etc.

The language in this tweet is even more pessimistic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Waiting for a big club to come in for him...

Unfortunately Villa are seen in this way by outsiders, it's a problem for us it would seem in attracting certain next-level players.

Â