Nico Williams

RicRic

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I think that Unai has 4 main targets. We have already secured Youri and I think the other 3 that he really wants are Williams, Goncalves and Pau Torres.
I would have thought that we would have to shell out £130m In transfer fees to secure the other 3 but I really hope that we can do it. Those are 4 big players who are next level to any of our previous NSWE signings.

We clearly tried going for Asensio over Williams though

His creative output wasn't bad last season, six goals and five assists in thirty games worth of football in terms of minutes on the pitch in the league, in all competitions he had nine goals and six assists, he also already has a goal and an assist for Spain in not many minutes on the pitch. Also have to remember that there will be times where he will have assisted the assistor, or won free-kicks with his pace that have led to goals, or maybe won a few penalties too.

Also four of his league goals last season came when they won by one goal, so his goals making a difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

Where has this sudden conviction we’re actually signing him come from, I’m obviously missing something. 

The links in January were quite concrete so it makes sense that we'd be in for him again, though I do get you that there hasn't been anything too credible so far.

VT's general approach to transfer speculation though seems to be if you want the player + the link is spurious = it'shappening.gif, and if you don't want the player + the report is from someone credible = "we're not interested, they're talking rubbish".

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

So is Bailey and Buendia.

We don't play with wingers.

Buendia isn't a winger, and Gerrard got rid of all of ours apart from Bailey.  Emery works with what he has available, if we had loads of wingers, Emery would play a system that uses them.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Williams is a winger, Asensio is not 

Also.. Asensio is a winger. Or atleast the modern version of it, a wide forward. He played through the middle only 5 times last season.

He plays on the right, same as Bailey, Buendia and Williams

I'm purely speculating on the fact marca posted something for the first time in months.  Adding to that the fact we were in for him in January shows there is genuine interest there. 

And finally, we operate fairly stealthily, and the genuine transfers tend to only get leaked the day they're happening. 

So I'm going Marca got wind of something this morning, and it's going to be confirmed today. 99% chance I'm wrong, but just my guess.

For what it's worth, there doesn't appear to be any private jets flying from Bilbao to Birmignham today. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I'm purely speculating on the fact marca posted something for the first time in months.  Adding to that the fact we were in for him in January shows there is genuine interest there. 

And finally, we operate fairly stealthily, and the genuine transfers tend to only get leaked the day they're happening. 

So I'm going Marca got wind of something this morning, and it's going to be confirmed today. 99% chance I'm wrong, but just my guess.

For what it's worth, there doesn't appear to be any private jets flying from Bilbao to Birmignham today. 

And the award for most optimistic post of the year goes to...

Edited by Craigy1874

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

So You're Telling Me There's A Chance Gif Imgur

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So You're Telling Me There's A Chance Gif Imgur

Some tabloids in Spain said we bidded but he wanted to stay in Spain. A lot can change in football quickly. Both are Basque don’t forget. 

Edited by The_Steve

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Except when we start Bailey. Our "winger" on left side is Moreno

Williams is a right winger - that's what he plays as 90% of the time. We are absolutely buying wingers. Where do people think Bertie played when he came back? 

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Williams is a right winger - that's what he plays as 90% of the time. We are absolutely buying wingers. Where do people think Bertie played when he came back? 

Didn't Emery say he wanted a winger at some point? Possibly when bringing Bertie back. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

Didn't Emery say he wanted a winger at some point? Possibly when bringing Bertie back. 

He did, in Jan he said he wanted a specific winger. I assume it was a right footed winger as we only had Bailey. 

Â