Radio Ga Ga

Xela

BBC 6 Music is my station of choice. Chris Hawkins on the early shift is goodI've kinda become accostomed to Laverne in the morning but she really did used to irritate me. Mary Anne Hobbs can be overly pretentious but again I'm getting usedto her. Craig Charles can f*** off (1pm to 4pm is unlistenable) then the run of Lamaq / Riley / Coe in my peak listening hours are great

Other shows I like are some of the weekend ones - Iggy Pop, great, Whatsisface from Elbow does a good show, SDtuart Maconie's Freak Zone is often brilliant. Don Letts is OK. Tom Robinson can be OK / Can be shit. And Radcliffe and Maconie are great

I don't listen to any other station.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

i used to listen to BRMB a lot

I was going to say did not listen to the radio in UK much, but then I remembered use to listen to Les Ross.

When I emigrated to Canada I went one month ahead of the Mrs. One morning (1 am or thereabouts) there's a phone call. It's Les Ross. Mrs Fruit had written and got Les to phone. God's sake, I had only been away three weeks.

Edit it's the CBC in the car and on the odd occasion the alarm is set.

edit ... one of my local radio stations ... Radio Garden – Castlegar

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

Ahhh the old goal horn @Mark Albrighton. The few seconds of trepidation that used to follow!

I seem to recall George Gavin and Tom Ross doing a post game radio phone in. Used to attract all the nutters and Gavin used to wind them up a treat. Was that Xtra AM?

• Like 1

I last listened to the radio back in 2002, I only know that was the year because I would listen to radio one whilst going to work and every single day without fail they would play All the things she said by TATU and Cry me a River by Justin Timberlake, shortly after that I got an MP3 player and I haven't put the radio on since unless I'm listening to WM after a Villa match which isn't very often at all.

I think back in 2002 that would have been when Chris Moyles was doing Radio one, I could be wrong though.

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

BBC 6 Music is my station of choice. Chris Hawkins on the early shift is goodI've kinda become accostomed to Laverne in the morning but she really did used to irritate me. Mary Anne Hobbs can be overly pretentious but again I'm getting usedto her. Craig Charles can f*** off (1pm to 4pm is unlistenable) then the run of Lamaq / Riley / Coe in my peak listening hours are great

Other shows I like are some of the weekend ones - Iggy Pop, great, Whatsisface from Elbow does a good show, SDtuart Maconie's Freak Zone is often brilliant. Don Letts is OK. Tom Robinson can be OK / Can be shit. And Radcliffe and Maconie are great

I don't listen to any other station.

Absolutely the same - the early morning weekend shows are brilliant and I love that if I put it on in the car late at night, I could get absolutely anything. I once drove the full half hour at midnight from Edgbaston to home accompanied by a single weird 30 minute long German synth thing - you don't get that on Capital.

• Like 1

I regularly listen to the radio - similar to you @Xela working from home or if I’m out and about have it on in the car. Can tell I’m getting old as my choice of radio station has recently started to change. Often listen to Talksport in the mornings as quite like Laura Woods and Ally McCoist (can’t stand Alan Brazil), and don’t mind Jim White and Simon Jordan. 

I can’t stand Radio 1 these days after years of it being my go to choice. I’m getting old. Started listening to Absolute, Kisstory or Smooth. Sometimes Free Radio (formerly BRMB for those not familiar). I tend to skip around a fair bit these days. I never bother with Spotify or Podcasts really. Always radio. 

• Like 1

Used to listen to 5 live but it always made me shout swear words at the radio when they got some knob end phoning in

So  now I listen to Absolute rock and Dave Berry … I’ll be honest I thought nothing would replace Christian O’Connell and Richie , but Dave Berry is  very sharp and quick witted but also seems to be genuinely nice bloke 

• Like 1

Absolute Radio main station. 

If something I don't like or adverts is on I will pick in order to:

Absolute 80s

Absolute Classic Rock

Absolute 90s 

Absolute 90s is last because despite being a great decade for music they seem to pick the worst music of the stations. Much more dance stuff, a bit weird. 

If it's my call then 6 music all the way. Weirdly the opposite to bicks though Craig Charles and Mary Anne Hobbs are mainly what I tune in for. Nowhere else plays techno and Metal back to back like MAH and while I wouldn't go see him live in a billionty years, I find CC really good on the radio funk punk etc

Invariably when working with any older guys it;s radio 2 whereJeremy Vine will have me trying to claw my ears off every day.

I mentioned elsewhere i now live somewhere where dab only gets BBC stations. All I miss is Smooth when I'm cooking in the kitchen.

That Micky Flanagan bit about chilling out to cheeesy 80s tunes works for me while I'm in the kitchen.

growing up though before radio5 there was sports report on radio2 on saturdays of course. at least for us 70s kids growing up in the 80s.

Realistic transistor radio from Tandys was my connection to the world outside my house for years and years.

736f6e1b4f49d1951c38ac87f28e5bfc.jpg&f=1

• Like 2

Back in the 60s/70s, it would have been John Peel - before he jumped on the punk bandwagon. And the Robin Valk rock show on BRMB. 

Nowadays, I never voluntarily listen to any radio at all. Can't stand any of it. My wife has to have Radio 4 (occasionally Radio 2) on, all day long. She's not even listening to it, it's just background noise. As soon as she leaves the room, I turn it off. If I want music, in the house or in the car, I've got CDs and Spotify. 100% my choice, no irritating talking in between songs. 

I'd be happy if radio ceased to exist. 

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Weirdly the opposite to bicks though Craig Charles and Mary Anne Hobbs are mainly what I tune in for. Nowhere else plays techno and Metal back to back like MAH and while I wouldn't go see him live in a billionty years, I find CC really good on the radio funk punk etc

Its not the music with MAH, thats ok and I am getting used to her breathless pretentiousness. Craig Charles on the other hand with anything other than his funk and soul stuff is a phoney prick. The punk thing with him is hilarious, he was in a dreadful metal band in the punk years. He then took up his poetry thing which was good (and he did a very good show on that on National Poetry Day) by bugging Bill Drummond to support the Teardrop Explodes (they all took the piss out of him), his claims to have been around the Eric's scene in Liverpool are based on that. All the people that are still around from Erics think he's a total phoney, they don't remember him. He's an invented caricature, he hasn't got a clue about bands not in his narrow musical knowledge, you can tell when he's interviewing them, there's no depth to his questions, the nuance is all wrong and sometimes he can't even pronounce the bands names correctly. He's just highly irritating. Having said that, they always seem to put a complete prick in the 1-4 slot.

The trunk of funk turned into the trunk of punk and now it's about to turn into the Jar of Ska - just F*** Off!

Oh and there is one other really irritaing prat on 6 Music, Huey sodding Morgan but I don't usually naturally listen in his slot anyway

• Like 1

Mine is a mix of 3, 4, and 6.

Radio 4 has a few programmes I quite like for learning about schizz I didn’t know I’d be interested in. The recent series Breaking Mississippi was excellent.

Radio 6 for the music obvs.

Radio 3 because I have a Skoda with gesture control that is too close to the steering wheel. Turn left, get R3.

But to be fair to R3, I’ve also got it on my old analogue Karmann radio in the house and it sounds gorgeous and fruity.

Have to agree on Huey and Craig, I do tend to avoid those shows.

• Like 2

I listen to internet radio five or six hours a day, used to be into US rock stations but last couple Of months Radio Caroline has been a permanent fixture.

They play some cracking tracks from albums and not the well known stuff usually.

• Like 1

Tony Butler BRBM sport was etched in my psyche for many years.Get your dog on its knees etc….praying for a particular result.

I do think that we have some incredible radio output in this country.I don’t think it’s fully appreciated by the general public.

My main supplies are Radio 4,6 and 2.My local BBC output was Radio London which was brilliant but has been decimated by recent cuts.My favourite DJ was mark radcliffe  his taste seemed to mirror mine but he seems to have been sidelined.

But as I get older the output on radio 4 is so superb, any answers , soul music, more or less etc etc Desert Island Discs is probably my all time favourite programme.

• Like 2

Loved listening to BRMB on a Saturday afternoon in the car as a kid. Me and my dad would be parked somewhere while my mom was looking around a furniture shop or something. It's etched on my brain with the sound of the windshield wipers going at the same time....

I love NPR over here in the car. News and lots of magazine type shows. If you're a fan of R4 then it's very much worth checking out . The 3 best shows (available as podcasts) are "The Moth," "This American Life" & of course, "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" which is a sort of cross between the News Quiz and I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue.

https://themoth.org/radio-hour/flight-attendant-refugee-and-a-preacher

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/

https://www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-dont-tell-me/

Edited by TheAuthority
Links added
  • Like 2

Â