Radio Ga Ga

Xela

42 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Years ago, I used to work in a hotel in Devon. James whale and another dj and his creatures of the night used to keep me company. His sound guy (can't remember his name but I'm sure he was a brummie) used to play the odd hardcore/ drum and bass tune when he could too. Oh, and Derek Acora was on as well I'm sure! 

Now it's the odd bit of Laura Woods, depending on the topic.  

James Whale TV show was bonkers.

@VILLAMARV reminded me of the Radio One summer roadshows. In my first job at a childrens charity, as a 16yo school leaver in the summer of '95, I used to do data input. Monotonous job, but the boss let me listen to my pocket radio. Stick the earphones in and I was happy as Larry! I seem to recall listening to loads of the summer roadshows. The one song I always recall was Edwyn Collin's 'Never Met a GirlLike You'! 

Apparently the biggest ever attendance at a Radio One roadshow was 100,000 at Sutton Park in 1992. Live acts that day were Aswad, Del Amitri, The Farm and Status Quo. What a time to be alive! 

Nice to see so many positive memories of BRMB in here. Shame the commercial local radio scene doesn't really exist like that anymore. Well, certainly on the scale that it did. Now most of the commercial stations are owned either by Global or Bauer and their output is mainly homogenised from a central station broadcast, usually in London. The local eccentric DJ playing to their region is more difficult to find. 

When I had my first car with a decent radio (Pioneer FTW) I remember my six presets were Radio One 97.9 - BRMB 96.4 - Heart 100.7 - Galaxy 102.2 - Radio WM 95.6 and Radio Two 88.3 :) 

• Like 1

Also, a shout out for XFM in London. I obviously never listened to them at the time but the Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington shows from the early 2000s were brilliant. Hundreds of hours of them were recorded and are on-line to listen to. 

I listen to NPR. That's it. No point listening to the same old same old formula interspersed with commercials and inane DJ banter when I can play my own stuff on Spotify. 

Radio in Boston in the 70s and early 80s was cool though. It hadn't become corporate yet. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned by @Xela earlier in the thread, Greatest Hits Radio is the way to fly nowadays for me after the age brigade have naffed up Radio 2.

I could just about tolerate most of the shite presenters they had due to them being compensated by the likes of Steve Wright and Ken Bruce.. now they're both gone.. it feels like Radio 1 of 1998.

Mind you, it was a shame what happened to Pat Sharpe at GHR due to someone not being able to take a f***** joke!

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2023 at 20:05, blandy said:

6music **** about with their schedule. Complaint fired off to BBC.

The decimation of RIley & Coe from 5 hours to 2 and presenting together is an absolute travesty of almost Craig Charles proportions

I'm also noticing more and more "dance" music and "well known songs" creeping into the schedules in shows where they didn't used to happen. I'm not talking obscure electronica from MAH, I'm talking bollocks like K-Klass and big artists like REM and Bowie appear to being played more regularly (nothing wrong with either but the proportions appear to be up). That new Underworld single something Red is on heavy rotation, now its alright and so are Underworld but that sort of thing never used to happen. Another one was that recent ACR single about the 80s NY graffiti artist, which again I like but it was on heavy rotation for weeks. It seems the content is being less controlled by the presenters and more by committee. 

Here's the current A/B/C Playlists

24th - 30th April 2023

A LIST
Avalon Emerson & The Charm - Hot Evening

Billie Marten - I Can’t Get My Head Around You

Clark - Clutch Pearlers

Everything But The Girl - Caution To The Wind

Feist - In Lightning

Gretel Hänlyn - King Of Nothing

Kae Tempest - Nice Idea

McKinley Dixon - Run, Run, Run

The National - Eucalyptus

Sofia Kourtesis - Madres

Underworld - and the colour red

Warmduscher - Love Strong

B LIST
Alison Goldfrapp - So Hard So Hot

Baby Rose ft. Smino - I Won’t Tell

Belle And Sebastian - When You’re Not With Me

Dawn Richard - Bubblegum

DEADLETTER - The Snitching Hour

Future Utopia ft. Biig Piig - Your Love

Jitwam ft. YUNGMORPHEUS & Jaydonclover - Hollatchu

Jockstrap - Debra

Jungle ft. Erick The Architect - Candle Flame

Lanterns On The Lake - The Likes Of Us

Nabihah Iqbal - This World Couldn’t See Us

Say She She - Reeling

SBTRKT ft. Toro Y Moi - Days Go By

shame - End Of The Line

C LIST
Anish Kumar - Praise

Benefits - Warhorse

The Dream Machine - Lola, In The Morning

JGrrey ft. Kojey Radical - May

Tinariwen - Tenere Den

Tribes - Hard Pill

Whitelands - Setting Sun

There are quite a lot of what I would deem Non 6Music type artists on there.(in Bold). There are other places to play that stuff, where people who like that stuff listen. They really are trying to turn it into another mainstream pop channel, which is never what it was intended to be and isn't why people listen. Thats 13/33 or about 40% of the playlist

It's the Charlesization of 6. Seriously getting on my tits now

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are quite a lot of what I would deem Non 6Music type artists on there.(in Bold). There are other places to play that stuff, where people who like that stuff listen. They really are trying to turn it into another mainstream pop channel, which is never what it was intended to be and isn't why people listen. Thats 13/33 or about 40% of the playlist

I completely agree. To some extent I understand some of "why". I mean I've been a listener for 20 years and so you'd expect the type of new music and new genres to evolve and change. It can't be a station for just 50 somethings and the daytime stuff mostly is just background, but the evening schedule with MR and GC is kind of active listening and the presenters pick all the music they play, but that's going, to be replaced instead by a "new music" showcase programme. Perhaps to compensate for the cuts to the local station new music programnes and budget and like you say the more mainstream way the daytime schedule has gone.

The unique thing 6Music had was it wasn't an algorithm driven or management committee driven station, it was genuinely curated by the presenters and that seems to be changing for the worse 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

To some extent I understand some of "why". I mean I've been a listener for 20 years and so you'd expect the type of new music and new genres to evolve and change.

There's plenty of new music types that I didn't put in bold, that I'm not particularly a fan of on that list because it's still what the station should be about (like that Billie Marten and Benefits) but an awful lot of that stuff in bold is over-produced, autotuned pop bilge, the videos to which you just know will have some sort of choreographed dancers etc. It's formulaic pop crap

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

an awful lot of that stuff in bold is over-produced, autotuned pop bilge, the videos to which you just know will have some sort of choreographed dancers etc. It's formulaic pop crap

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

old-man-cloud-HD.jpg

• Haha 3

• 9 months later...
On 02/04/2023 at 20:25, chrisvilla4 said:

Years ago, I used to work in a hotel in Devon. James whale and another dj and his creatures of the night used to keep me company. His sound guy (can't remember his name but I'm sure he was a brummie) used to play the odd hardcore/ drum and bass tune when he could too. Oh, and Derek Acora was on as well I'm sure! 

Now it's the odd bit of Laura Woods, depending on the topic.  

Yeah, as @Follyfootsays it was Ash.

Ash Gould, Jonny Gould's brother. Both villa fans.

Â