Radio Ga Ga

Xela

1 hour ago, trekka said:

As a kid / teenager it was always BRMB.  I found "The Mack Attack" (Graham Mack) hilarious (you can find youtube highlights of his shows).  I've posted about it before on the "Things that cheer you up" thread after discovering the highlights.

Late and Live with Jezza was a good listen as well!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Late and Live with Jezza was a good listen as well!

Oooh yes.  He had a thing with the Midlands weather girl Emma Jesson (the one who ended her broadcast with the high-pitched "bye bye").  I remember her ringing him live on air once and she sounded drunk as a skunk.  

• Like 1

Some interesting stories in this thread and will definitely give Radio 6 a try based on the recommendations on here.

At present the radio station of choice is Nation Radio which has a good mix of the music I like but looking into it in more detail it has a weekly audience of just over 100k so fairly niche compared to, say, Radio 6 with 2.5m! (as at Dec 2022).

Other radio stations I don't mind listening to include Greatest Hits, Smooth, Heart and Smooth Country.

Spoiler

From a footy perspective I used to like Radio 5 and Talk Sport but don't listen to them as much now unless there is a big match on and I'm driving for example.

Thinking of years gone by...

Used to love listening to Tim Westwood back in the day - could have been on Capital or Radio 1 back when I would say rap peaked.

Also remember back in the 90's listening to BRMB and Jeremy Kyle (before he was on TV) on the Late & Live show and some of the phone calls that came in with different problems were interesting to listen to.

Also a big shout out to Tony Butler:

• Like 3

What was that the late night? Love show I think with Graham Torrington. Dumped people calling in begging to be had back and the like. Always find the grief entertaining.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Used to love Les Ross back in the day. I'd rush home from night shift (well as fadt as the 93 bus could) to listen to the next instalment of the folks from Little Wittle not far from Wattle, starring Miss Take and Gravelly Hill amongst others, very amusing it was. 

Don't know why but for years he was the only "famous" person I bumped into. Ran into him so many times I felt like challenging him on why he was the only famous person I ever met. 😂

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

What was that the late night? Love show I think with Graham Torrington. Dumped people calling in begging to be had back and the like. Always find the grief entertaining.

"Jezza 'Late and Live' BRMB 1997, talks to a guy called Tony who says his wife's massive boobs have broken and his nose and given him nose bleeds. Contains mild humour and references to 'big jugs'. Posted for entertainment purposes only".

• Haha 1

As a kid growing up in the 80's BRMB was pretty much a staple in my mom and dads house, dads car and nans house. Les Ross in the morning, Ed Doolan and then I remember a DJ called Nicky Steele who was on an afternoon and he used to have listeners phone in selling stuff. It was how I got my second hand Amstrad computer back in the mid 80's as we were in my dads car and someone phoned in selling one. 

Nowadays I only really listen to the radio in the car, which I spend a fair bit of time doing as my work involves going to a lot of different sites. I like soul music so magic soul will be on most of the time or I'll dip into LBC to catch a bit of James O'Brien or Sheila Fogarty or if I am in the mood for a chuckle at a bit of right wing bile I'll stomach Nick Ferrari.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I remember a DJ called Nicky Steele who was on an afternoon and he used to have listeners phone in selling stuff.

Blimey! yes. So many forgotten names cropping up in this thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I gave up on Talksport a long, long time ago - it's just bear baiting for white van man and not even clever or subtle about it.

It's really, really 'orrible. Somehow it's got even worse now it's all just sponsored by paddybrokes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bickster said:

..........Craig Charles on the other hand with anything other than his funk and soul stuff is a phoney prick. The punk thing with him is hilarious, he was in a dreadful metal band in the punk years. He then took up his poetry thing which was good (and he did a very good show on that on National Poetry Day) by bugging Bill Drummond to support the Teardrop Explodes (they all took the piss out of him), his claims to have been around the Eric's scene in Liverpool are based on that. All the people that are still around from Erics think he's a total phoney, they don't remember him. He's an invented caricature, he hasn't got a clue about bands not in his narrow musical knowledge, you can tell when he's interviewing them, there's no depth to his questions, the nuance is all wrong and sometimes he can't even pronounce the bands names correctly. He's just highly irritating. Having said that, they always seem to put a complete prick in the 1-4 slot.

The trunk of funk turned into the trunk of punk and now it's about to turn into the Jar of Ska - just F*** Off!......

So I'm gonna go right ahead and assume you're telling me your a big fan then 😜

• Haha 1

Can definitely remember sitting in the car outside the Nat West in Cannock waiting for my mum listening to Steve Wright on Radio 1 back in the day. That's got to be my earliest memory of the radio.

Apart from the radiogram that filled the lounge back then. Black and white telly. Jumpers for goalposts etc.

I can admit to visiting the Radio 1 Roadshow back in the late 80s or early 90s sometime. In Aberystwyth. First time I ever saw mimng live. I think it was Gary Davies but I couldn't say I really remember it that well. I do remember buying a blow monkeys 7" that day though.

015.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=824bf57b411dc0ea5

I did not pay £1.50 like this jerk though. Was a time I trawled the reduced section in Woolworths and you could buy stuff from 25p upwards. I'd buy pretty much anything I could afford back then just to bump up the volume (in the 7" box)

So I guess it would be 88/89 ish

• Like 2

5 hours ago, trekka said:

Oooh yes.  He had a thing with the Midlands weather girl Emma Jesson (the one who ended her broadcast with the high-pitched "bye bye").  I remember her ringing him live on air once and she sounded drunk as a skunk.  

She was seeing Ken Barlow a few years back. He was in his 80s!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Can definitely remember sitting in the car outside the Nat West in Cannock waiting for my mum listening to Steve Wright on Radio 1 back in the day. That's got to be my earliest memory of the radio.

Apart from the radiogram that filled the lounge back then. Black and white telly. Jumpers for goalposts etc.

I can admit to visiting the Radio 1 Roadshow back in the late 80s or early 90s sometime. In Aberystwyth. First time I ever saw mimng live. I think it was Gary Davies but I couldn't say I really remember it that well. I do remember buying a blow monkeys 7" that day though.

015.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=824bf57b411dc0ea5

I did not pay £1.50 like this jerk though. Was a time I trawled the reduced section in Woolworths and you could buy stuff from 25p upwards. I'd buy pretty much anything I could afford back then just to bump up the volume (in the 7" box)

So I guess it would be 88/89 ish

We would have the Radio 1 Roadshow folks staying at the hotel where I worked. I remember we had Peter Powell a couple of years running which cheesed me off as he was a bit bland. But then we got talking and he was really nice. The night before the roadshow, we hatched a plan together that him and the roadies were going to let me and my new girlfriend backstage and we could watch the show from the mixing desk (or whatever the technical caravan is called).

Anyway, puffed up with excitement about it all I stayed up all night and had a couple of drinks even though I was supposed to be working. We all shook hands, agreed to meet later and I went home for a shower and to announce my absolute coup of a date to my girlfriend. Got home and thought well I’ve been up over 24 hours straight, so I’ll just close my eyes for a quick 5 minutes…

When I woke up they were packed up and probably half way to Aberystwyth or Minehead. Absolutely gutted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

So I'm gonna go right ahead and assume you're telling me your a big fan then 😜

Well here's the really odd thing, I have a lot to be thankful to Craig Charles for, I don't hate him. I just really dislike his daytime radio show.

I blagged the guest list to a Craig Charles gig (stand up not DJ) at Liverpool Uni, me and the missus went, had a great night and... 9 months later our daughter was born. So you can see why I don't hate him

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well here's the really odd thing, I have a lot to be thankful to Craig Charles for, I don't hate him. I just really dislike his daytime radio show.

I blagged the guest list to a Craig Charles gig (stand up not DJ) at Liverpool Uni, me and the missus went, had a great night and... 9 months later our daughter was born. So you can see why I don't hate him

Daughter Craigetta, not so keen.

• Haha 2

Used to lie in bed listening to Caesar the Geezer on Talk Radio years ago.  Opened my eyes to just how weird people are!

Edited by dubbs

On 31/03/2023 at 23:36, mjmooney said:

Nowadays, I never voluntarily listen to any radio at all. Can't stand any of it. My wife has to have Radio 4 (occasionally Radio 2) on, all day long. She's not even listening to it, it's just background noise. As soon as she leaves the room, I turn it off. If I want music, in the house or in the car, I've got CDs and Spotify. 100% my choice, no irritating talking in between songs.

I really can't comment on UK radio channels, but I think I get what you mean. Nowadays, I only listen to Norwegian radio channels for news updates when driving to and fro work. Then I turn it off and find either something I want to hear again just because I'm in the mood for it right there and then or something new I've heard about that sounded interesting enough to add it to my playlist. That's about it. I have never really liked having radio or tv on just for the sake of it. Or music, for that matter. When I decide to listen to music, it has to be active listening. (I miss the days of going home with a brand new LP and playing it while checking out the liner notes and the  lyrics.)

On Norwegian radio channels, at least, there's so much uninteresting yadda yadda talking between songs.

• Like 1

Years ago, I used to work in a hotel in Devon. James whale and another dj and his creatures of the night used to keep me company. His sound guy (can't remember his name but I'm sure he was a brummie) used to play the odd hardcore/ drum and bass tune when he could too. Oh, and Derek Acora was on as well I'm sure! 

Now it's the odd bit of Laura Woods, depending on the topic.  

29 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Years ago, I used to work in a hotel in Devon. James whale and another dj and his creatures of the night used to keep me company. His sound guy (can't remember his name but I'm sure he was a brummie) used to play the odd hardcore/ drum and bass tune when he could too. Oh, and Derek Acora was on as well I'm sure! 

Now it's the odd bit of Laura Woods, depending on the topic.  

Ash, he is one of our own

Â