Radio Ga Ga

Xela

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Obviously for those of us of a certain age the journey home from the match was always Tony Butler on BRMB. Unintentionally hilarious and the radio show the three second delay was invented for

"Hiya Tone, you're a word removed"

On yer bike!

on a sidenote, did he not get the sack for beating up a bloke in a wheelchair

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

On yer bike!

on a sidenote, did he not get the sack for beating up a bloke in a wheelchair

Well beating up might be a bit much but yes, he had an argument with another BRMB DJ who was a wheelchair user and during the argument, he managed to pull the DJ out of his chair.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well beating up might be a bit much but yes, he had an argument with another BRMB DJ who was a wheelchair user and during the argument, he managed to pull the DJ out of his chair.

It was Brian Savin he assaulted. Can't remember anything else about it.

Used to love listening to Sarah Jane Champion on absolute 80s (for two ahem obvious reasons !) but dropped her like a stone when she shacked up with former colleague and chirpy, gobby and irritating geordie Pete Donaldson. To be fair I hated his yappy and unfunny style before they got together so I felt justified in unfollowing her totally in a heartbroken huff. I mean, quite often she'd "like" my tweets to her and no I wasn't being a stalker so how could she do this to me ???

I'm sure she would be so upset if she knew of my pain😀.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 3

used to love the Mike Graham show from 1 am to 6 am on talkSPORT when I was having trouble sleeping. I think the show was called the creatures of the night. My God some brilliant callers at that time of morning

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

In a morning my wife has Radio 2 on. I prefer silence but it’s not a deal breaker. Same at night she will put Sara Cox on right up to the point when I notice the music is bad and then I change it to either Downtown Country, a Northern Ireland station, or Smooth Country. If I don’t like the songs either of them are playing I will jump around other stations on my Alexa. 

• Like 1

Other than Radio 6 (where I am in complete agreement with Bicks) my other radio pleasure is TMS. A good six or seven hours of overnight cricket coverage from Australia is just a warm, comfortable way to spend a sleepless night - where else do you get sports coverage that's about birds, cranes and cake, or phrases like "he'll be as happy as a fat spider"?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Its NME 2 for music. John Peel in the 80's was the start of radio for me, his voice made me feel like he was playing music just for me, wasn't scared to play new stuff, worth listening to tons of shite just to find that new sound that was the very reason for tuning into radio, new music. 

• Like 3

Yes, John Peel was fantastic for finding stuff that wasn’t naturally being played in the clubs or daytime radio. It wasn’t so easy back then to hear something beyond The Steve Miller Band or David Bowie.

The one that really stuck out would have been some time early 80’s he repeatedly played the Natural Ites, Picture On The Wall, and that really really stayed with me I’d not been exposed to much like that at all and within months I was loitering around dodgy clubs down Tiger Bay.

More vaguely, I think it was him that played Saturday Night Holocaust by The Dead Kennedys and I was straight out and buying that beauty. Still got it too. It was all just such a delight compared with the rest of the world’s playlist being dictated by DLT, Saville, and Reid.

• Like 2

6Music for me too, Sunday to Friday teatime. Saturday not so much. Huey Morgan is a word removed and there’s no one decent on the rest of the day.  RadMac are on when I listen to my own music. Listen to 5live Friday evening, Saturday sometimes if I’m pottering around.

As a lad, BRMB, especially Robin Valk, I think he recently died, sadly. No more ride of the Valkyrie. Peel on R1 and who was the bloke, Johnny Walker, that’s it! in the 80s on the weekend, oh and Annie Nightingale.

And TMS. Lovely TMS.

Triple J in Aus can be a good listen and the abc for cricket.

Then there’s the internets. Since the internets was discovered by TB-L you can listen to KEXP, or generic NPR or whoever you want, really.

• Like 1

As a kid / teenager it was always BRMB.  I found "The Mack Attack" (Graham Mack) hilarious (you can find youtube highlights of his shows).  I've posted about it before on the "Things that cheer you up" thread after discovering the highlights.

"Does the name Longbridge mean anything to you...can you also mention 2 world wars and 1 world cup" as he phones the BMW Chief Exec amongst many other funnies. 

Latterly it's been pretty much Radio 2 when driving.  I don't tend to listen to the radio at home (maybe I should!). 

• Like 1

I'm another 6 Music listener, if I have the radio on but more than likely to have my iPod on (yep, I still use an iPod and would be lost without it!)

Chris Hawkins is definitely the best show on there and regularly accompanies my awful attempts in the gym before work. The late afternoon and evening shows are usually top-notch too.

Whilst I like (pretty much all) the music she plays, I cannot stand listening to the over-breathily and simpering Mary Ann Hobbs and the constant snickering of Craig Charles can do my head in (i much preferred his Funk and Soul show).

Some of the stand-ins are very good too, particularly Deb Grant (who sometimes hosts a show on Jazz FM too!)

I've never really listened to local/commercial radio due my dislike of radio adverts and also they tend to play the same 'pop' music for the masses on repeat.. not really my bag.  

I gave up on Talksport a long, long time ago - it's just bear baiting for white van man and not even clever or subtle about it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I'm another 6 Music listener, if I have the radio on but more than likely to have my iPod on (yep, I still use an iPod and would be lost without it!)

Chris Hawkins is definitely the best show on there and regularly accompanies my awful attempts in the gym before work. The late afternoon and evening shows are usually top-notch too.

Whilst I like (pretty much all) the music she plays, I cannot stand listening to the over-breathily and simpering Mary Ann Hobbs and the constant snickering of Craig Charles can do my head in (i much preferred his Funk and Soul show).

Some of the stand-ins are very good too, particularly Deb Grant (who sometimes hosts a show on Jazz FM too!)

I've never really listened to local/commercial radio due my dislike of radio adverts and also they tend to play the same 'pop' music for the masses on repeat.. not really my bag.  

I gave up on Talksport a long, long time ago - it's just bear baiting for white van man and not even clever or subtle about it.

I still use an ipod. Can't get the music on the phone thing. Don't know why. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow. Unusually self centred comment from you MJM.  

Oh, I wasn't wishing to deny you radio lovers your enjoyment. Just saying it wouldn't affect me in the slightest if it wasn't there. 

It's a bit like my attitude to unsolicited advertising. I find it intrusive. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I wasn't wishing to deny you radio lovers your enjoyment. Just saying it wouldn't affect me in the slightest if it wasn't there. 

It's a bit like my attitude to unsolicited advertising. I find it intrusive. 

I probably took you a little too literally 😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, blandy said:

6Music for me too, Sunday to Friday teatime. Saturday not so much. Huey Morgan is a word removed and there’s no one decent on the rest of the day.  RadMac are on when I listen to my own music. Listen to 5live Friday evening, Saturday sometimes if I’m pottering around.

As a lad, BRMB, especially Robin Valk, I think he recently died, sadly. No more ride of the Valkyrie. Peel on R1 and who was the bloke, Johnny Walker, that’s it! in the 80s on the weekend, oh and Annie Nightingale.

And TMS. Lovely TMS.

Triple J in Aus can be a good listen and the abc for cricket.

Then there’s the internets. Since the internets was discovered by TB-L you can listen to KEXP, or generic NPR or whoever you want, really.

It never occurs to me to actually listen to KEXP, for some reason I always associate it with watching something on youtube.

I’m going to give that a dabble.

• Like 1

Used to love Les Ross back in the day. I'd rush home from night shift (well as fadt as the 93 bus could) to listen to the next instalment of the folks from Little Wittle not far from Wattle, starring Miss Take and Gravelly Hill amongst others, very amusing it was. 

• Like 2

Â