Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Match Polls  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/03/23 at 23:59

We play some absolutely wonderful football at times, it’s hard believe that these are the same players, the improvement is incredible. 

6 hours ago, robby b said:

No win for you this time Bournemouth and not even a draw, ha! Another hoodoo broken thanks to Señor Emery, what a star.  : D

And 11th place we have escaped your clutches you fiend, ha! Well, at least for two hours we have. Time to have another look at the beautiful table and enjoy it while I can...

I read this in the voice of James Brown. Quality.

• Haha 3

Luiz brilliant (MOTM) just pipping Mings who was outstanding. Honourable mentions to just about everyone else, but Moreno and Cash caught the eye.

Oh, and I got to listen to Lee Hendrie in commentary which I enjoyed almost as much as I used to enjoy watching him play. Such a difference to the simply awful Tony Gale last game.

• Like 1

Morning all, isn’t the weekend and week ahead so much better after a Villa win?

On reflection, Luiz also gets my MOTM but Mings, McGinn, Moreno and Cash should also receive an honorary mention.

It was by no means perfect yesterday but the seeds are definitely there for all to see. We want to control the game and it’s great to see a team with an identity. Play out, pass pass pass, then explode in the final third. If we don’t have the ball, it’s yours to get. I love it.

I’m 48 and have enjoyed some of the Taylor, Big Ron, Little/Gregory and Smith years but this has the feeling of being different somehow?  I wouldn’t have put any of our past managers in the elite box but I would with Emery. He just knows the game, knows how to win and most of all, knows how a team should play. It’s not based on individual brilliance or luck here but a collective. Everyone has to contribute in a game and that’s what we’re seeing, and it can only get better. 

Can’t wait for our next game, the games after that and then an exciting summer. UTV

You can thank my lucky pants 100% win ratio for this one. 

Wish I could wear them every game 😥

Watched first 45 perfect picture, 2nd half was up in hotel room and WiFi was rubbish kept on freezing so I was slightly worried until I saw the frozen pic saying 2-0 and made it back to the bar for the 3rd.

Pre warning..  chelsea game I cant have my lucky pants as will be in hospital and won't be conscious for multiple hours so it's going to be purely down to the team !!

11 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Watched first 45 perfect picture, 2nd half was up in hotel room and WiFi was rubbish kept on freezing so I was slightly worried until I saw the frozen pic saying 2-0 and made it back to the bar for the 3rd.

Pre warning..  chelsea game I cant have my lucky pants as will be in hospital and won't be conscious for multiple hours so it's going to be purely down to the team !!

Good luck on your hospital visit.

• Thanks 1

Villa were very good in patches but the game was closer than was comfortable at times.

I thought the scoreline flattered Villa and when Bournemouth broke through at 1-0, it looked it was going to be a draw.

Villa's defence had an excellent game and Martinez's save from the free-kick was what you would expect.

McGinn was outstanding again, while Buendia got bullied several times.

Once again we saw some glaring inconsistency from the VAR decisions - the disallowed Villa goal was correct, but Ramsey's shot deflected over the bar by an arm, seemed at variance with recent rulings.

It certainly was good to see Ramsey return to top form.

Bailey had his best game for a while and made several excellent contributions, including the assist for Villa's opener.

If there was one game which convinced me that Unai Emery is a top manager, it was this one.

• Like 3

Amazing, and without our best player Kamara. When we get the forward line right we are going to be a real threat, you only have to look at the table since Emery arrived to see we are a totally different side. Next season will be very interesting.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Carlos, you can only imagine he will add another level of quality to that which is already performing given his looming presence to the incumbent CBs.

The VAR handball was strange at the ground in that absolutely no one on the Villa side appealed and there wasn't a big audible shout of handball from the crowd (that I heard anyway), so no one was particularly upset about it at the time.

initially I hadn't seen a deflection at all so I was pleased enough with the corner and then when Luiz was about to take the corner, the VAR check came up on the big screen to a general feeling of "Ooooh, I wonder what that's for?" an amusement at the randomness of it rather than any anger - so when it wasn't given and we played on, there was actually very little feeling of being hard done by in the stadium at all.

Of course, for those watching on TV you can see that it's a terrible decision and a clear handball, so there's I think a little bit of a gap in the levels of unhappiness that the decision caused dependent on whether you were at Villa Park or at home.

Odd that literally no one in a Villa shirt appealed for it given how obvious it is on the telly.

• Like 3

Only my second trip to Villa Park this season, fantastic result. Excellent performance. Totally controlled the game. Played in a very controlled manner. Bournemouth were toothless in has to be said.

Luiz definitely man of the match. Was everywhere today. Only counted 2 missed passes. Scored.

McGinn was workman like again. Tough in the tackle, arse was put to good use!

Moreno was a menace on the left. Constantly beating his man, played most of the game as a left winger.

Ramsey was finding room for those runs. Scored the best goal.

Mings was immense, Got hos head to all the dangerous balls in, in he zone. Assisted Buendia, covered Konsa's ass too.

Konsa went to sleep on those balls over the top. Passed well on occasions.

Cash was untroubled. Didn't get forward in support much.

Martinez was good, two good saves, good distribution. Got annoyed every time he played that long goal kick to Bailey, as Bailey is not equipped to claim those balls.

Buendia was poor, constantly gave the ball away, looked lightweight all the way through, but still scored.

Bailey with a good assist. Saw very little of the ball, as we concentrated our attacks down the left. Both Bailey and Traore were getting isolated a lot with two men defending them, and little support.

Watkins had a good chance to score, held the ball up really well when needed. Linked up well on the left side.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Thanks the Villa fans for their reception

nice of him and good to see him back

i'd also like to thank his manager for bringing him on as they totally lost their shape after that...the guy hasn't played in 18 months and is thrown in at 1-0 to try and change the game

Finally putting on a performance at home will have been massive for both Emi and the players confidence. It was a key thing missing.

Likes of JJ, Ollie and McGinn coming into form,  and Kamara coming back could all possibly sync to give us a very strong end to the season.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Another little moment that perhaps would have gone unnoticed - during the pre-game warm up, while the first team go through their drills, the subs tend to do a little rondo drill down in front of the Holte End; the ball came out of that and a little kid who seemed to be on some sort of pre-game pitch side walk with parents kicked it back to Ashley Young. Young played it back to him and the kid played it back to Young, clearly delighted - so Young invited him to take part in the rondo with him, Duran, Traore and Chambers, the kid was there a good couple of minutes and looked like he couldn't believe his luck - having a kickabout in front of the Holte End with the players . Incredible memories for some lucky eleven year old right there.

All his mates are going to think he's an absolutely massive bullshitter.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, brummybloke said:

hope your surgey goes well.  i suggest you loan your lucky pants to your surgeon and require him/her wear them.

• Haha 3

On 18/03/2023 at 19:27, useless said:

I didn't see game very well as had to keep finding new streams but from what I did see I thought Moreno, Luiz, Mings, and McGinn all looked like they played really excellently. Very good win especially as despite their lowely position Bournemouth didn't look a bad team at all.

The ref didn't either.....missed the obvious Pen.

• Haha 1

On 18/03/2023 at 17:01, HKP90 said:

Last time we won, in 2015, Rudy Gestede got the winner.

That is absolutely shocking. Embarrassing really 

What on earth were Bournemouth doing?

• Haha 2

So we had a nightmare with those back to back 2-4 scorelines at home but since the Arsenal match what a fantastic turnaround!

Going from conceding 11 goals in 3 games to just 1 in 4 is simply a brilliant transformation!

I put my hand up and admit this has come as both a surprise and a relief to me. :s Thanks to Unai and the whole team really we have made a huge improvement defensively since those horrible games against Leicester and Arsenal.

• Like 1

Â