Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, allani said:

On the first point I do agree - it is very easy to look at players doing well in other leagues and automatically assume that they will do well here.  And obviously with the Emery and Alemany factor we are going to get linked to just about every Spanish player under the sun (or anyone with a vaguely Spanish sounding name!).

To expand on my point about Walker not being a typical Emery right back - what I meant is that if you look across his career he tends to player with 1 attacking FB and 1 more defensive FB so that we get width in attack when we are on the ball but are not massively exposed when we lose the ball as the other FB tends to tuck in to form a back 3.  So it would be slightly weird for Emery to ditch that approach and to suddenly play with two more attacking FBs - as it would probably necessitate a change to the formation with Kamara dropping into the back 3.  That would work with then Luiz and Phillips in the middle of the pitch protecting the midfield.  But it just feels like a huge departure from Emery's normal system that he has used pretty much everywhere else he has been.

As I said I'm not knocking your source or the link at all - more that the two players seem to be quite different to most of the other players we have been linked to in the past.  If we are interested then I am sure that Emery has a very good plan (deliberately changed from "cunning").  Personally I've never been a big fan of Phillips (he seems like a pretty limited player every time I have seen him).  I quite like Walker as a player though.

Thanks for the reply allani. 

I think what leaves me open minded as to who might come in is the fact Emery stated he wants different profiles/traits right throughout the squad. I think we also have to consider that the project is going to be quite different to what he has undertaken elsewhere although the end goal will be similar. He may have a template already but I would presume there are many different pieces to make up the picture in his head which will probably see some left-field decisions that leave us all scratching our heads at times.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Who aren't we linked with at the moment. I've seen Phillips links previously but not Walker. My post was not linked to media speculation.  

I doubt either of them will be arriving.

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I doubt either of them will be arriving.

Same. We won’t be signing any players from PL.

Let City boost their FFP and shift their deadwood to other PL teams.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Same. We won’t be signing any players from PL.

Let City boost their FFP and shift their deadwood to other PL teams.

I’d be surprised if we don’t buy at least one player from the PL this summer.  The value vs risk argument comes in but also it’s rare that teams spending is all from abroad even if most is from abroad.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Thanks for the reply allani. 

I think what leaves me open minded as to who might come in is the fact Emery stated he wants different profiles/traits right throughout the squad. I think we also have to consider that the project is going to be quite different to what he has undertaken elsewhere although the end goal will be similar. He may have a template already but I would presume there are many different pieces to make up the picture in his head which will probably see some left-field decisions that leave us all scratching our heads at times.  

Agreed.  And I do think he will like to be able to change things up quite a lot.  I seem to remember when he arrived there was something about the difference between the formation / tactics when Villareal were at home in the league compared to when they were playing away in the Champions League.  And he may be able to cover more bases here than at previous clubs because of the extra money available to him.  For example, it probably makes sense to have an attacking / more defensive option on both the left and the right - so that if we can target either of the opposition flanks (i.e. if their left back is seen as a potential weak link then we play an attacking right back and a more defensive left back).  I'm sure it will be a fun summer!

• Like 1

I don't really understand the certainty some have in the kind of players that will or won't be signed. Most were surprised that a left back arrived in January, and it's not like Emery hasn't signed or wanted to sign Premier League players previously. Nor is it a blanket rule that PL player = no good deal to be had. We're in the early stages of a period of quite a few changes in the club, it's difficult to know exactly what to expect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I can see us going for Harvey Barnes irrespective of where Leicester finish 

I really can’t see this. He’s probably 25m if they go down and 40m if they stay up. Either way, I’m backing the club to do much more effective scouting in the Spanish/Portuguese league as well as perhaps the French league too.

There is very little value to be had in the PL. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I don't really understand the certainty some have in the kind of players that will or won't be signed. Most were surprised that a left back arrived in January, and it's not like Emery hasn't signed or wanted to sign Premier League players previously. Nor is it a blanket rule that PL player = no good deal to be had. We're in the early stages of a period of quite a few changes in the club, it's difficult to know exactly what to expect.

Nobody knows except Unai and the recruitment team!

it’s just the usual “football manager” 19 changes including 7 first teamer’s because we know better 😁

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Not linked to any keepers yet 😭😭😭. I'll be distraught if we are stuck with olsen next season. 

Regarding keepers, id be more worried about being stuck without our no1 keeper 

13 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

While none of us have a scooby who we will get, I will be quite suprised if they are not all fast players.

Pace is the biggest missing part of our team.

We're missing height...  We have one of the shortest starting 11s in the Premier League.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really can’t see this. He’s probably 25m if they go down and 40m if they stay up. Either way, I’m backing the club to do much more effective scouting in the Spanish/Portuguese league as well as perhaps the French league too.

There is very little value to be had in the PL. 

he’s pretty useful for 25m tbh, I still wouldn’t sign him, not what I’m looking for in the player behind Ollie 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

he’s pretty useful for 25m tbh, I still wouldn’t sign him, not what I’m looking for in the player behind Ollie 

Pah, doesn’t sound remotely Spanish and on that basis I agree. 

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

We're missing height...  We have one of the shortest starting 11s in the Premier League.  

we defo need more ariel prowess/physicality.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we defo need more ariel prowess/physicality.

Also agree with both of you, but you get what you can to a certain extent especially when height usually comes from ST, DCM and CB.

• Like 1