Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I'm torn whether we will go for a CB or not.

Mings and Konsa don't deserve to be dropped, and should one be pushed down the pecking order, I'd assume Carlos is the guy to do so.

Chambers is the one that can be moved on and replaced as his utility man status is hopefully taken away from him. 

If we sign Pau Torres, that would be a huge coup, I'd assume he replaces Konsa in the XI and Mings/Carlos battle it out for the other position. Can we keep Konsa, Mings and Carlos happy battling it for one position?

Suppose it depends on Carlos' health, an ACL is a big injury to be the same player afterwards. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

A wide forward to replace Baily/Bert has to be top of the shopping list this summer, those two are nowhere near the standard we need.

I think we need two wide forwards, if there was any truth in the interest in Nico Williams then I think a cheaper experienced forward to rotate and take pressure off a young man developing and settling into a new country would be beneficial.

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Mings and Konsa don't deserve to be dropped, and should one be pushed down the pecking order, I'd assume Carlos is the guy to do so.

Chambers is the one that can be moved on and replaced as his utility man status is hopefully taken away from him. 

If we sign Pau Torres, that would be a huge coup, I'd assume he replaces Konsa in the XI and Mings/Carlos battle it out for the other position. Can we keep Konsa, Mings and Carlos happy battling it for one position?

Suppose it depends on Carlos' health, an ACL is a big injury to be the same player afterwards. 

I think we need to bring in a new CB at some point.

Mings isn't getting any younger and Carlos is also over 30 and coming back from a serious injury.

Konsa could be our new RB which leaves Chambers being the only other who is nowhere near top 6 standard.

18 hours ago, ZL- said:

Yeah it's definitely true - the video was just since he joined Barca who have played him on that side but he's played across the whole front 3.

image.png.f4abe702fd9dd5d14e612818b84b138c.png

As you can see he's more than capable of holding that right-wing width for us. He is right footed so goal output maybe better from left but is pretty adept with both feet.

We've had issues very recently with signing players that can "play anywhere" but their highlight reel shows them doing their best work from the side at don't intend to play them from. 

I'd expect Emery to get the most out of any player but given even he is struggling with Bailey and doesn't utilise anyone in that role in the left, I'd be concerned. 

Not a great deal of gap in his stats on either wing in this case so maybe an unfounded concern. 

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think we need to bring in a new CB at some point.

Mings isn't getting any younger and Carlos is also over 30 and coming back from a serious injury.

Konsa could be our new RB which leaves Chambers being the only other who is nowhere near top 6 standard.

A left sided CB no older than 24 is needed, better getting him in now rather then when Mings declines or leaves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

£30m Euro for Pau Torres would be a coup for sure. Usual caveats, obviously. 

Tutto Mercato is one of the worst sources out there so more than likely rubbish

5 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Imagine a window of:-

Pau Torres

Ferran Torres

Guendouzi

Vlahovic

That would be absolutely nuts. Very unlikely though :( 

Also throw in AWB or Ivan Fresneda for the RB spot while your at it.

Guest av1
9 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Pau Torres

Ferran Torres

Guendouzi

Vlahovic

Think of poor Captain Jack. How’s he going to deal with those 4? 

14 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Pau Torres

Ferran Torres

Guendouzi

Vlahovic

That would be an absolutely incredible window, but it simply will not happen.  Guendouzi is probable, maybe even Ferran Torres. The other won't happen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That would be an absolutely incredible window, but it simply will not happen.  Guendouzi is probable, maybe even Ferran Torres. The other won't happen.

How much would it cost i wonder?

Pau Torres - 30m

Ferran Torres - 50m

Guendouzi - 40m

Vlahovic - 50m

AWB - 20m

Doable within our so called tweeted "unlimited budget" of 200m euro's.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

How much would it cost i wonder?

Pau Torres - 30m

Ferran Torres - 50m

Guendouzi - 40m

Vlahovic - 50m

AWB - 20m

Doable within our so called tweeted "unlimited budget" of 200m euro's.

Aren’t recent quotes suggesting Guendouzi is going for half of that now…let’s do more shopping with the spare 20m 🥳🥳🥳

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

It would be a fairly elite CB quartet, and if you look at all the top teams, they have at least 4 quality CBs.  Obviously our problem is that we don't (and likely won't) have European football to give them all plenty of games.  However the key it seems is to recruit a mix versatile enough to play in a number of other positions.  Look at City, Ake and Akanji regularly play full back and Stones is now in midfield.  White at Arsenal has played mostly at fullback.  Burn at LB for Newcastle etc etc.

I think Carlos and Torres would be a wonderful first choice pairing, and then perhaps you give Mings and Konsa game time both as backup to those two, as well as across the back line.  Konsa has shown he can play RB and Mings can obviously play LB.  

I'd be interested to see if we could play the reverse of the current set up.  So when Moreno tires, instead of bringing him off for Digne, shift Mings over and push Cash (or a new attacking right wingback) to play high up on the other side?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

£30m Euro for Pau Torres would be a coup for sure. Usual caveats, obviously. 

As if it would only be 30 million euros for him..... add another 20.

19 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I find some of the idea's on here to be 'wacky'

Could we at least agree on an order of priority for the positions of the signings?

Right Midfield

left midfield 

Attacking midfield

right back

reserve goalkeeper 

Defensive central midfield

Left back

centre back

striker

obviously you run out of money at some point on that list and the rest is for another summer.

also as emery has apparently said he wants a striker even though it is bottom of my list you should factor that in.