Jhon Durán

PieFacE

He has showed big improvements in his link up play in recent cameos. In performances before Christmas, he looked a bit alone up there. 

Hope he can keep doing it: turning into a bit of a Benteke throwback with his harrying and turning of defensive midfielders. Hope his physicality can leave space for Bailey and Diaby, or vice versa. 

He wanted an opportunity, now he’s got it. So hope he can take his chance. 

26 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

He has showed big improvements in his link up play in recent cameos. In performances before Christmas, he looked a bit alone up there. 

Hope he can keep doing it: turning into a bit of a Benteke throwback with his harrying and turning of defensive midfielders. Hope his physicality can leave space for Bailey and Diaby, or vice versa. 

He wanted an opportunity, now he’s got it. So hope he can take his chance. 

Benteke? Where are people seeing all this? Ive watched every minute he has played and I haven't seen anything at all that suggest he even has the potential to be like Benteke, never mind the ability.

I fear this guy is criminally overrated by our fan base. I know that will annoy some people but that is honestly how I see it.

Far more likely to be booked than to score. He is a better option than Davis, but that's not hard. I hope to have better options next season but for now I would start Diaby or Zaniolo. 

If I'm proven wrong about him then I will 100% hold my hands up but I do not see Duran making it as PL player based on what I have seen to date.

Benteke? Really?

Edited by GlobalVillan

21 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Benteke? Where are people seeing all this? Ive watched every minute he has played and I haven't seen anything at all that suggest he even has the potential to be like Benteke, never mind the ability.

I fear this guy is criminally overrated by our fan base. I know that will annoy some people but that is honestly how I see it.

Far more likely to be booked than to score. He is a better option than Davis, but thats not hard. I hope to have better options next season but for now I would start Diaby or Zaniolo. 

Benteke? Really?

Tbh, it is wishful thinking on my part: I see flashes of what I want to see, I guess. I'm thinking about those moments when Duran tracks further back and can hold off a man, turn and get the ball to a teammate coming forward. Perhaps it is simply a matter of him getting more minutes that we're latching onto anything that looks remotely positive. People want to get behind the lad: if their perceptions are clouded by that desire to be positive about him (and in the absence of anyone else behind Watkins), so be it. 

Do I think he is Benteke mk 2: no. Do I think he's better than we've seen so far: yes, undoubtedly. 

• Like 1

Tomorrow will go one or two ways I suspect, either he’ll score some batshit crazy goal or get sent off.

His lack of discipline is a massive concern in a game where it’s highly likely we’ll see hardly any of the ball and he’ll be required to chase down hopeful punts upfield whilst pressing from the front the rest of the time, and I’m not sure he’s cut out for that (yet, at least).

He did well on Saturday.  Handled Kilman really well and showed he is learning how to play with his back to goal. Different levels though against Diaz who in my opinion is in the top 3 defenders on the planet. He will be lucky to get a kick if we play into him.He will have to stretch their defence with his enthusiasm and unpredictability  if we are to have any chance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He did well on Saturday.  Handled Kilman really well and showed he is learning how to play with his back to goal. Different levels though against Diaz who in my opinion is in the top 3 defenders on the planet. He will be lucky to get a kick if we play into him.He will have to stretch their defence with his enthusiasm and unpredictability  if we are to have any chance.

If he's got Bailey, Diaby and Zaniolo potentially running off him on the counter throughout the match. Just being a pest maybe the perfect foil for the others. Either way City are going to come at us tomorrow, after all we are the only side to comprehensively turn them over this season and they'll want to remedy that. If we are clever, and it's a big IF, that could work in our favour. 

I thought he looked great 2nd half against the dingles. He's more of a battering ram than Ollie imo so with runners could cause mayhem if he and we are on it. 

• Like 1

He might actually be a useful tool against City. 

Press with intensity and harass their defense. 

With the few touches he'll get, you know he'll still lazer in a couple of unexpected shots from unlikely positions...might actually catch Man City out a bit. 

As I see it, this game is a shot to nothing. If Ollie is gonna miss a game then maybe this is the best one. We may even benefit from having a fired up madman in Duran away from home against a below par Man City. Looking forward to it. You never know.

• Like 1

betting on the madness and unpredictability of Duran and Zaniolo (or Rogers) is fun, as it means we are definitely less predictable.

but it could also just mean both are ineffective and get swapped out pretty quickly. Be interested to see if we would bring Kellyman on in this match as we don't have any senior attacking players left. 

Is Duran’s disciplinary record really as bad as everyone keeps saying or is this a bit of a Loco Colombiano stereotype? As I see it he’s very enthusiastic, young, can get overexcited / frustrated. I don’t see the lunatic Balotelli type figure some people keep painting him as.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

betting on the madness and unpredictability of Duran and Zaniolo (or Rogers) is fun, as it means we are definitely less predictable.

but it could also just mean both are ineffective and get swapped out pretty quickly. Be interested to see if we would bring Kellyman on in this match as we don't have any senior attacking players left. 

Rogers will probably be fired up and want to prove something as well as they let him go.

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Is Duran’s disciplinary record really as bad as everyone keeps saying or is this a bit of a Loco Colombiano stereotype? As I see it he’s very enthusiastic, young, can get overexcited / frustrated. I don’t see the lunatic Balotelli type figure some people keep painting him as.

He's on 5 yellows and 18 fouls in 264 mins

Our 'Worst' is probably Luiz, on 8 yellows and 40 fouls, but in 2512 minutes.

So you'd have to say Duran picks up roughly 5 times the number of yellows and fouls per minute played... very roughly.

But I suppose context is everything, maybe he comes on for the last 15 minutes and needs to chase and disrupt, which leaves him more open to the cards/fouls. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

The interesting thing for me is that a man of Emery's character is persisting with Durán despite what from outside sometimes seems like indiscipline, which I tend to agree with you, it is more overexcitement, and also, trying to find his place in a highly talented squad, is a situation in itself that requires a lot of hard work on the required education of different roles. He already did that with another colombian forward at Sevilla and Villarreal 

• Thanks 1

Â