Jhon Durán

PieFacE

20 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Probably BS. In the original article linking us to Duran, Brentford and Fulham were the other 2 teams who had apparently bid for him. Given Brentford's scouting ability for identifying players with potential, that isn't a bad thing. But to say champion's league teams were after him is a bit of a stretch. 

Benfica and Man United both linked with him last month.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I trust Unai, Lange and our entire scouting team over some bitter fans losing a big talent. Give him a chance. The club isn’t investing in him if they don’t think they have a talent on their hands. Under £15m in the current climate is a low risk deal. 

So, fans have to unconditionally be ecstatic over every single signing the club makes?  Remember that same scouting team signed Samatta and Olsen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So, fans have to unconditionally be ecstatic over every single signing the club makes?  Remember that same scouting team signed Samatta and Olsen.

Oh look, very easy to pick the duds to make a straw man. I was talking about some ridiculous comments about a young man we’ve just signed with a big potential and some fans are turning their noses at it. That is what I’m criticising. We know how to find good young talent. 

• Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

Oh look, very easy to pick the duds to make a straw man. I was talking about some ridiculous comments about a young man we’ve just signed with a big potential and some fans are turning their noses at it. That is what I’m criticising. We know how to find good young talent. 

Can you blame them? The majority have probably never heard of him. No need to take it personally.

Certainly an interesting signing, out of nowhere again really, I remember a few whispers of his name a few weeks back but that was about it.

I've no problem with this kind of signing, it's the kind the much heralded Brighton transfer team have been successful with recently, looks like he has the right attributes to thrive in the Premier League, it's now down to our coaching team to make him in to something special.

Slightly confused as to how he's going to get a work permit as the fee isn't huge, can't imagine he's going to be one of our higher earners, and has only a few international appearances, this may be why there's some suggestions of loaning him out. We'll have to see I guess.

• Like 1

I understand the fears of some on here - the inexperience, the lack of notoriety, the league he's come from etc - but, what about the flip side? He's raw, he's a unit so built for the PL, he's got pace, which we lack. 

Fees are extremely high these days so £18m or whatever it is really isn't that much of a gamble, especially for his age and raw talent alone. Remember, Chelsea paid us more for Chucky! 

Welcome to the best club in the world, Jhon. Be like your namesakes - be hungry like a wolf and knock them all down! 

31 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He’s going to be a great impact sub until he finds his feet. Allowing us to get a big marquee striker in the summer 

Is a marquee striker one that wears a massive  shirt that can accommodate several team mates or one that can only play under cover?

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Hopefully the next Benteke and not Keinan Davis.  Fee seems very high for someone with limited experience. Even MLS and Chicago fans seem surprised by the fee.

£14m is the new £5m, especially in the forward positions. 

It really isn't big money at present, the markets mad. 

• Like 1

Don't know much about him but he seems the sort of signing that Brighton would make and then our fans would complain that we aren't doing the same. 

If Unai wants him, thats good enough for me. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

£14m is the new £5m, especially in the forward positions. 

It really isn't big money at present, the markets mad. 

Still a lot of money for us though given he’s unlikely to be a starter….at best hanging around the squad and potentially going out on loan.  It’s a lot of money for us for that….great investment if it works out though.

• Like 1

Â