Jhon Durán

PieFacE

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

I want to be hopeful. He was a big fish at Chicago. He's be in a much more dangerous pond. Just my view, but MLS defences are a shadow of English PL, nowhere near as aggressive or relentless or precise. It will be interesting to see how Duran fares in PL. I don't think it's points on the table just yet, but I'm hoping he can adapt.

young enough to adapt.....not expecting him to be the finished article, those that are, could be disappointed, as you allude to.

Our league has proficient defenders, he will have to learn how to deal with that......but the clay on the potters wheel, looks quality.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I want to be hopeful. He was a big fish at Chicago. He'll be in a much more dangerous pond. 

I want to hear more about this "dangerous pond". Killer Koi Carp? Terrorist Trout? Gun-toting Goldfish? Nefarious Nemo?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

♪Jhon Durán Durán

His name is an 80's band

He's taking the witness stand

Jhon Durán Durán♫

don't give up the day job.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I'm a Chicago Fire fan. I'm familiar with Duran. I get why Villa wanted him, but I'm still surprised it happened. That said, as a Chicago Fire fan who has watched an aimless club shoot itself in the foot repeatedly for over a decade, the surprise could be due to me not believing the Fire are capable of having anything somebody else would want, but Duran is now the second teenager they've sold to a Premier League club for good money since August.

As for the player, he's big, he's athletic, he's fast, and he's physical. He's essentially everything you want in a teenage prospect. He's also raw and emotional. He played 1,367 minutes last season, just more than 15 matches worth of minutes, and picked up seven yellow cards. Rarely were they smart or tactical. They were the "I messed up and I'm angry so now I'm going to go do something stupid" variety. That may take some time to be worked out of his game, or it may never be.

He began the season in Chicago slowly, being worked in as a substitute for the first third of the season. You saw the potential, but he struggled to make a real impact. However, about halfway through the season, something clicked. While he wasn't a terror, you could see he was more confident and he began playing like it. He began to earn regular minutes and regular starts, and my thought was that he could prove to be one of the better strikers in the MLS when the new season began in February.

I don't know what our plan will be with him here. Perhaps he goes on loan, or perhaps he stays with the team and gets some late season minutes as preparation for next season. But if his time in Chicago is an indication, he'll need time to adjust. He needed time to adjust from moving from Colombia to the United States, and now a year later he may be on his way to England. That's a lot for a kid to handle.

He's talented. He could be a very good player for us. He could amount to nothing much. I don't know, but I wouldn't expect him to have an immediate impact no matter the result.

Isn't that season the first as a head coach for the Chicago Fire boss? No offence but, going to a club that has such a successful and very experienced boss might be a perfect fit for Jhon. I'd imagine he will also be getting some good advice from Juan Pablo about his time at Villa and love of our club. 

Maybe I'm getting my hopes up here but this guy just reminds me so much of Benteke. If he gets off to a start that's even half as promising as Benteke was he will have the Villa faithful singing his name week after week and his confidence will boom. 

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I want to hear more about this "dangerous pond". Killer Koi Carp? Terrorist Trout? Gun-toting Goldfish? Nefarious Nemo?

The Piranha of the Prem.

12 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

It's true tho. Such a long tradition of "hard men" who love to take a bite out of forwards. Nicknames say it all. The Psycho. The Terminator. Chopper. Bite Yer Legs. Your country's defenders are ****-ing nuts.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 2

Good signing if you ask me. Had he signed for the kit stealers or Bournemouth etc. there would be plenty on here saying he’s the sort of signing we should have been making. Welcome Jhon - massive opportunity to realise your potential! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's true tho. Such a long tradition of "hard men" who love to take a bite out of forwards. Nicknames say it all. The Psycho. The Terminator. Chopper. Bite Yer Legs. Your country's defenders are ****-ing nuts.

giphy.gif

8/10. WB

Â