The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

Just to add, my wife, who didn't even know the series is based on a game, watched episode 3 with me, having not watched the first two. She was in bits, and loved it so much she went back and watched the first two even though she's not a fan of zombie-related stuff.

• Like 2

To be fair there's a decent argument that bills town is filler in the game too, it's a basic fetch quest in an arena that's made to feel like an open area that rewards exploration like ND are experts at

Agree with Zen again, the letter is more on the nose than the game is, to paraphrase it "you're a protector like me, its what we do" the game doesn't tell you what Joel is in that manner, also think with all the noise around the episode the trick they played with the letter is the best bit of it, its more obvious that he's failed Tess, that he was the brawn to her brain and that there was something between them, it's all hinted in the game but the TV show tells you more

The letter is Joel's motive because the other driver which I'm still tip toeing around because I consider it obvious but it might not be isn't there yet because Joel is still stone cold

Spoiler

The daddy daughter relationship, Joel isn't seeing Ellie like that at this stage, that is the arc that will come

• Like 1

I love the apocalyptic survival theme but hate zombie gore, so I shut it off halfway through the first episode.

I'd much rather their adversaries be other humans and not the fantastical zombies. 

13 hours ago, El Zen said:

This wildly underestimates the impact Bill’s letter has on Joel, imo. 

And Bill’s letter needs Bill and Frank’s story to make an impact on us. 

Not that it isn’t just a magnificent piece of TV in its own right, anyway, but it’s not hard to justify its significance in the overall story arch. 

It's a great inclusion and wrapped up a magnificent episode beautifully, yes. 

I've often tried to detach myself from the knowledge of these characters from the game, and what happens to them in the future. If I do that looking back at episode 3, I believe enough impetus is given to Joel by Tess' final words to him (plus the undeniable proof that Ellie really is immune to infection, of course) to travel onwards with this annoying kid who he's trying desperately not to be reminded of his daughter by. 

The requirement to remove Bill's Town from the TV show is absolutely necessary. So the question to the show runners then was, do we include Bill and his interactions with Joel and Ellie in a different way, do we remove Bill (almost) entirely, or do we do something completely different with Bill.

I'm really, really pleased they went with option 3. However, with the set up for Bill and Frank in episode 1 being they're smugglers of some kind, allies of Joel and Tess, and have a penchant for pirate radio - would it be totally crazy for Joel and Ellie to turn up at Bill's Town, find him dead, get some gear, and drive off in the car? I don't think so. I think it's indicative of how good the first two episodes were that some people wanted to see more Joel and Ellie, rather than ~50 minutes with a couple who live and die and re-enforce Tess' final message to Joel a bit. 

Two thoughts whilst typing that out.

One is whatever you thought about the episode, it sure got people talking, one way or another, which is great PR. And if people are talking about this episode as much as they have, imagine how much they'll be talking about what's to come. That's really exciting. 

Second is the subject of filler, side stories, and world building. You could apply it to any adaptation of a source material to the small or big screen, but it's of particular debate in manga adaptations. Considering filler, is the story worth telling? Do our cast of characters grow from the story we see, does their understanding of the world change? Does the viewer come out of that story with a better understanding of the world we're witnessing? Do those things have a detrimental effect on the progression of the main story arc, and is that a particular concern if time is limited? Or worse still...if time is not limited. I'm looking at you, Naruto. 

Ii think episode 3 succeeds on all those points, but then I could have confidently said that before watching it, hence my prior acknowledgment of 'good' filler after episode 1. 

It's probably a debate for another time - specifically when Ellie's backstory episode is aired, mainly because that story in itself could be viewed as filler for the game, let alone the TV show, seeing as it was DLC originally. 

There was a reader written article on Game Central over the weekend that suggests this TV show is the worst thing to happen to the video games industry in years, because there will be a movement to story focused games, to the detriment of gameplay. I don't actually think that'll happen but...probably a debate for the Games & Gaming forum!

• Like 1

I dont think this shows for me. Its very slow and abit boring. Apart from last 5 seconds just want much happening Think im done with it going to move onto something else

Nothing wrong with the acting its very good its just the show itself its abit meh

• Haha 1

Ep 4 done. Couldn’t possibly compare to ep 3, but very much back on the road again (literally) with the plot and the development of the bond between Ellie and Joel, ending on a nice cliffhanger and a cheeky cover of New Order. 

Bring on ep 5! 

(And, once again, to the ‘standard zombie show’ takes: Not a single infected made an appearence as far as I could tell.) 

On 30/01/2023 at 20:27, Stevo985 said:

I'm also looking forward to the next episode

Hide contents

Joel and Ellie do a lot of bonding in that truck, with some really funny moments in the game, so I'm hoping they recreate that well

Yeah. They nailed it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am curious how they do the second (third?) form of infected. OK, so you got the noobs, the clickers, the bloaters, and then these assholes that are supposed to be the sneaky beaky sort.

In the game, they were supposed to be more advanced, but they didn't feel that much different from the noobs.

Here is to hoping that the TV show can correct this.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think this shows for me. Its very slow and abit boring. Apart from last 5 seconds just want much happening Think im done with it going to move onto something else

Nothing wrong with the acting its very good its just the show itself its abit meh

I think sometimes TV Shows, movies etc etc just don't click for some people like they do for the majority.

I think it's absolutely top tier stuff but each to their own :thumb:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I think sometimes TV Shows, movies etc etc just don't click for some people like they do for the majority.

Consider me a clicker for this one, then 😉

• Thanks 1

On 05/02/2023 at 16:44, maqroll said:

I love the apocalyptic survival theme but hate zombie gore, so I shut it off halfway through the first episode.

I'd much rather their adversaries be other humans and not the fantastical zombies. 

I don't think there's been an infected since ep 1 and episode 5 is out next. I could see some folks arguing that there's not enough of them to be honest.

Didn't the game have a subway section in Boston that was zombie intense? That's obviously been cut from the show.

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah 100% agree mate

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I have tried watching Breaking Bad at least twice, getting several episodes in, before losing all interest and I know how highly people regard that series.

It's ok not to like something 

• Thanks 1

Â