The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I feel like you need to be a fan of the computer game to really be a fan of the show. Otherwise it’s feels a bit like a standard zombie flick. 

I mean, is there even a single scene from ep 3 that says ‘standard zombie flick’? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

TLOU2 is better than TLOU

If you’ve played the first you really really should play the second one

I've got to replay it, only played it once when it first came out and the ps5 version isn't coming soon (announced this year with the first look of the multilayer game? I won't play the MP game not my thing) don't take me saying I think the story of 1 is better as a criticism of 2, I loved 2, just thought Ellie and Joel was a better dynamic

Also agree with Zen that I'm not sure how this is a standard zombie flick, standard for me would be the walking dead and this is a million miles away from that, maybe benefitting from having played the game I can better see what this is but the set up and themes aren't exactly hidden and seem obvious to me (spoiler box) , it's love at the end of the world, the theme and centre of the story are the human relationships with the infection happening around them, mentioned before a book / film called The Road which I'm almost certain druckmann has read

Maybe the hardest part in appreciating the show is that PP and the girl who plays Ellie are both brilliant at using facial expressions to say loads without words, it's packed with detail and nuances

IMO Ellie isn't there yet but they've at least perfectly set her up, she's a scared young girl putting on a massive front due to the world she lives in which makes her gobby, she doesn't like Joel but she admires what he is and wants to be like him... She's only been on screen for about an hour, the TV show does that better than the game, she's a deeper character at this stage even if she's not a better character

Spoiler

Man loses daughter but doesn't mourn properly because of the end of the world so becomes hard as a stone

20 years later man is forced in to looking after a young girl

Man softens, bonds with the girl and falls in love with her and protects her like only a dad can

The main story arc is about a dad's love for his daughter, its not about zombies

• Like 3

16 hours ago, El Zen said:

I mean, is there even a single scene from ep 3 that says ‘standard zombie flick’? 

I just feel like it gets a lot more ‘good will’ from the game fans. Reading through this thread the gushing reviews are all coming from people who are fans of the game whilst the ‘meh’ reviews are from people who don’t know the lore. 

For me coming from the second camp the third episode was a bit of a slow drag. Someone in this thread compared it with the opening to ‘Up’ but that amazing sequence was done in about 4 minutes of footage. That was an incredible bit of cinema and written without dialogue.

I also couldn’t get Nick Offerman as his Parks and Rec character out of my head so it played like a bit of a comedy for me. After their death, when they were showing images of the compound and they showed the hole in the ground where they first met I lost it 😂

It was cool that it was a gay couple featuring in this kind of episode and we need more of this but that was the main positive from it.

Could you imagine how boring it would have been had it been written as a hour and 20 min episode about conventional male/female couple that had nothing to do with the main plot?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I just feel like it gets a lot more ‘good will’ from the game fans. Reading through this thread the gushing reviews are all coming from people who are fans of the game whilst the ‘meh’ reviews are from people who don’t know the lore. 

I'm not a fan of the game (tried repeatedly to get into it) although I can also appreciate why it's held in high regard. 

The show though...is different gravy. Its absolutely fantastic.

20 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Could you imagine how boring it would have been had it been written as a hour and 20 min episode about conventional male/female couple that had nothing to do with the main plot?

No, I can’t. First of all, it would still have been an absolutely beautiful treatment of human relationships and the power of love, in a world otherwise in ruins, which is the entire point of the show (and arguably the game too.) 

Second of all, it’s kind of hard to take the fact that it is a gay love story away from it. It’s like saying ‘imagine how boring Brokeback Mountain would have been if it was about a heterosexual relationship’. 

Edited by El Zen

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I'm not a fan of the game (tried repeatedly to get into it) although I can also appreciate why it's held in high regard. 

The show though...is different gravy. Its absolutely fantastic.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to make the argument that it’s a bad show. The girl is a bit annoying but it’s entertaining zombie drama. I guess I feel like I don’t see it through the same eyes as the OG fans. 

Think it's off to a very promising start. The setting and characters are stuff we've seen countless times but it's done well. The world going under and then the time jump x amount of time to the world after is standard stuff, just like the grumpy reluctant warrior taking the sassy kid to safety. If they didn't get it right it would have been utterly forgettable.

I like it so far, you can tell it's a HBO show. The story from the games is supposed to be good so looking forward to it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

was cool that it was a gay couple featuring in this kind of episode and we need more of this but that was the main positive from it.

That's why it's not a standard zombie flick

It should be called love stories from the apocalypse, its not about the infected it's about the impact the infection has on everyone else, have you ever seen the leftovers? (brilliant underrated show) I think the last of us goes for some similar themes of the impact on those who do survive

And the end of episode 3 was pure fan service, the shot looking through the window gamers will know what they were trying to do there

Spoiler

Its the title screen

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t really see how it would have been any different

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don’t really see how it would have been any different

Probably it wouldn’t have been but it wouldn’t have been as ground breaking which was the main positive I took from it. I found it pretty slow myself. 

On the episode 3 cast, the aussie who plays frank, white lotus is OK and watchable, he's brilliant in it and probably the best thing about it

And he has of course done neighbours and home and away, his next thing sounded great with a massive star studded cast... But obviously not that great because I can't remember what it's called

He'll go on to do big things

I think there's a very legitimate complaint to be made about an episode of any TV show that just barely nudges along the story. This thing is only 9 episodes long after all. 

I've called filler before, and it is. It's great and I'm loving it, but it's still filler. I can understand why some viewers wouldn't be enamored with episode 3 for that reason, both those who have and have not played the game. 

I hated the game and really don't understand the acclaim it received. The series is brilliant though, and episode 3 was one of the best bits of TV I've seen in years, it was superb. Filler? Couldn't give a shit.

6 minutes ago, hogso said:

I think there's a very legitimate complaint to be made about an episode of any TV show that just barely nudges along the story. This thing is only 9 episodes long after all. 

I've called filler before, and it is. It's great and I'm loving it, but it's still filler. I can understand why some viewers wouldn't be enamored with episode 3 for that reason, both those who have and have not played the game. 

This wildly underestimates the impact Bill’s letter has on Joel, imo. 

And Bill’s letter needs Bill and Frank’s story to make an impact on us. 

Not that it isn’t just a magnificent piece of TV in its own right, anyway, but it’s not hard to justify its significance in the overall story arch. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

Â