The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

fgkhcenveaabm1c-1667405323085.jpg

Feels like there is a LOT of hype around this one, both on VT and beyond. So I'm guessing there will be a lot of discussion on it.

Now that the first episode has been released, rather than clog up the TV thread I've started a dedicated thread for discussions.

I've marked it as spoilers being openly discussed for the latest episodes. Anybody who has somehow seen beyond the latest released episode, please hide any spoilers.

I'll be watching the first episode later so I'll come back with my thoughts. Needless to say, as a huge fan of the games, I'm incredibly excited

Please hide all spoilers beyond the latest released episode, including anything that might be a part of the original video game.

• Like 2

It was a great first episode. All of the changes worked*, and it looks fantastic too. What I particularly liked were the lengths early doors it made relatively subtlety to tell the viewer in a (not) post Walking Dead era that this is not your typical zombie show. 

More Sarah and more Tess helped the story telling in boat loads, the only slight issue I had was some of the 'as you know' dialogue, but that's a personal peev in any medium. Just reeks of lazy writing, but it wasn't indicative of the whole episode, and made sense at least when trying to introduce the motivations of the Fireflies who are equal parts hugely important and not that important to the story, even at this early stage. 

Massively keen to see the twists and turns to come. 

*the lack of spores had me thinking a number of times, well, how does one get infected then? You either just are, or are not, I guess - but being bitten definitely makes you infected. 

• Like 1

Good first episode. Expanding on the game but being truthful to it (perhaps too truthful). But still, good. Pedro Pascal is a great presence and does the Joel part in his sleep. Ellie needs to develop a bit more, which will come with having more screen time.

But yeah, good start.

• Like 1

I’ve been sooooo excited about this, especially since reviews came out last week. It didn’t disappoint. It’s excellent. Feels like I’m playing the game, but getting more of the story. 

Pascal and Ramsey are perfect.

The opening was really well done

The changes are hit and miss, mostly the bits that expand work well but the bits that and different don't, Robert for example seemed a bit weird

Definitley got the right look and feel about it

The bit that really struck me was at the start when they were in the car, not the burning house which was on the left of the car rather than the right (!) but the bit where they're looking at the road sign and the police cars fly past and Joel says something like don't take the 71 that was bang on the game

• Like 1

Watched episode one tonight. Absolutely brilliant so far!

Pedro Pascal is great as Joel, I already feel as though it’s the same character as in the game. Ellie seems to be a bit different but it might just be that she’s not been on the screen as much yet.

The small nods to the game are well done, and not pushed on the storyline as some remakes can do.

Looking forward to next week.

• Like 1

Yeah just finished the first episode. Really enjoyed it, I think they’ve nailed it. 

Im lucky in a way that it’s so long since I played the original that, while I remember the general plot obviously, I don’t remember it well enough to notice many differences they’ve made. All feels pretty true to the game so far. 

Even if it strays from the game, it’s a game. The narrative in a video game isn’t going to translate to a tv show like for like. 

But yeah very promising so far. Pascal is fantastic. Still not sure about the casting for Ellie but hopefully that grows on me. 
Everything else seems perfect

• Like 1

I am interested to see how they do the clickers, if they can capture the same atmosphere as the game.

Fighting those bastards was so tense.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again it’s a long time since I’ve played the game, but the part in the car seemed like it was very accurate to the game 

The only big difference was the plane, other than that it was crazy, some of the dialogue was lifted from the game let alone the imagery

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Enjoyed it a lot.

Anyone watch it who never played the games? What did you think?

I liked it but it didn't blow me away. It kinda reminded me of The Walking Dead when The Walking Dead was actually good 

I suppose not playing the games I have the advantage of not being butthurt by any of the changes 

Edited by Bizzzle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m guessing they’ll make two series’, one for each of the games released but perhaps they’ll break it up into 4? 

Not really sure what purpose splitting up each game in to two seasons would serve, it's not exactly the most epic story in terms of length. I believe Druckmann has actually already confirmed that this season is the whole of the first game. Curiously, they've also confirmed all the episode lengths, the final one is the shortest at 43 minutes, excluding the first episode being the longest at 81 mins, the longest is episode 3 at 76 minutes, and the next shortest is at episode 4 at 46 minutes. There does seem to be some 'filler' included in that, I use the term lightly as it has negative connotations, it won't necessarily be bad. Game spoilers and therefore TV show spoilers to follow:

Spoiler

I'm led to believe that the section in the sewers where you find a dead community is going to be a bit more fleshed out. I really liked picking through the history of that place in game, and its grizzly end. 

Season two covering the second game would be longer, but not massively so. 12 episodes maybe? Perhaps if it's as big a hit as HBO is hoping for, there could be spin offs, the adventures of Tess and Joel during those 20 years, for example.

Â