The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

17 hours ago, hogso said:

Reveal hidden contents

Both Baker and Ashley Johnson, the original Ellie, are in the show too, and they're not simple cameos. They also don't look like their respective characters in the game though! 

Anyway, the podcast is really good, gives the listener a really good idea of what they were going for, and some little bits of plot which may be missed. No game spoilers in it, BTW. 

Thanks - I checked it out today. Love the insight.

22 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I really like the opening scenes of both episodes (the tv show and Indonesia.) I can imagine that each episode will reveal more of the virus development before the societal collapse.

I really liked on the podcast they described them as "cold opens."

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I really liked on the podcast they described them as "cold opens."

That's a common term that's been used for years on TV isn't it? Unless I'm missing a double meaning for this show.

46 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That's a common term that's been used for years on TV isn't it? Unless I'm missing a double meaning for this show.

Yeah it is. As I understand it it's basically the bit before the opening credits.

• Like 1

Think I might be checking out after two episodes. I don't think I've seen a show that gets under my skin so much. The building anticipation of something horrible being imminent does my heart no good at all. It's utterly brilliant but not good for my health. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I’ve always associated it with SNL. I had no idea that it always applied to anything before the credits.

You learn something new everyday!

Third episode is superb. Really, really superb. Heavy in the right ways, emotional, a very fitting way to take a story the game tells and build it out and take it to new places.

Unfortunately it's also the kind of episode that's going to cause the more toxic elements of society to throw their toys out of the pram.

• Like 3

I felt very conflicted about this episode as I watched it. I must preface that by saying that my dog has been hospitalized the last 2 days so my head is sort of all over the place.

First of all, Nick Offerman. At the start of the episode I found it hard to see why you'd cast him as his role in Parks & Rec was basically very similar. Government hating, survivalist who enjoyed the finest things in life (albeit in a comedy setting in P&R.) Then he morphs from saying "Not today you New World Order Jack Boot f*****s" into being gay. Now I'm not saying that it isn't possible that some prepper gun totting dude can't be gay, it just seemed a stretch to me. I couldn't buy it quite honestly. Those were the 2 things that didn't sit with me.

But, as the episode developed wholly shit Offerman knocked it out of the park. During the "last day" his acting was superb and it was very emotional, just completely raw and hard to bite back the tears. I loved that the told the story of Bill this way rather than finding him like in the game. I think this change worked because the story of the last of us isn't about zombies, it's about humans still being human under the most extreme circumstance. The idea of these 2 guys living out a life as "normally" as possible amongst the apocalypse just fits the lore of TLOU so well.

So I'm conflicted but I'm looking forward to listening to the podcast later and to hearing everyone's thoughts on VT.

Â